• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Best Vice President

Who was the best Vice President in recent times?

• Lyndon Johnson

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Hubert Humphrey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spiro Agnew

• Gerald Ford

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Nelson Rockefeller

• Walter Mondale

• George Bush Sr.

• Dan Quale

• Al Gore

• Dick Cheney

• Total voters

Connecticutter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
We have so many polls comparing presidents. Now let's see what we think of the vice presidents.

I have listed here the last 10 Vice-Presidents. Some of them I know next to nothing about. Is this even a job that you can screw up? How do you excel at a job with so few responsibilities? Choose the VP who you think did the best job since the 1960s.

Also say if your choice corresponds to the president you'd choose.

Do vice presidents even do anything? I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about their purpose in the government besides the fact that they take over when a president has died.

Connecticutter said:
We have so many polls comparing presidents. Now let's see what we think of the vice presidents.

I have listed here the last 10 Vice-Presidents. Some of them I know next to nothing about. Is this even a job that you can screw up? How do you excel at a job with so few responsibilities? Choose the VP who you think did the best job since the 1960s.

Also say if your choice corresponds to the president you'd choose.
what makes you think that the job of vice-president has no responsibilities?

Ima Troll said:
what makes you think that the job of vice-president has no responsibilities?

Please, tell me what these responsibilities are. It'd make it a lot easier to participate in the poll.

Connecticutter said:
Please, tell me what these responsibilities are. It'd make it a lot easier to participate in the poll.
think of it this way; the boss (in this case the president) has to do the work of ten people; so when the boss doesnt get it all done, he just delegates it to the assistant (in this case the vice-president)

so really the vice-president has more work to do than the president, because the president doesnt get most of his work done (heavy workload and all), and has to delegate most of it; stuff like abrupt hurricanes and terrorist attacks leave all sorts of unfinished deskwork, foreign trips and local political visits to perform; think of a bad day at work; imagine having double the workload that the president has (due to excessive delegation), but only half of the authority

see, the boss is the one in the spotlight (who we accuse of not doing anything), but the assistant boss is the one who actually is delegated all of the work (who we never see); so actually it just seems like the vice-president isnt doing anything, but the vice-president is actually quite busy, if not busier than the president; really, its the president who really isnt doing anything if you notice; he just walks around all day, and says stuff to people

Last edited:
Mark Twain told about a man who had two sons. One ran away to sea and became a sailor. The other became vice president and was never heard from again.

The only time competence becomes an issue is when the president dies in office and the VP takes over. Harry Truman was very good, in spite of an extremely poor resume. Lyndon Johnson had a fair resume, but IMO was a disaster in office.

Back
Top Bottom