• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The benevolence of gun control, were not after your guns.

blaxshep

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The Obama administration will not drop its pursuit of tougher gun laws, Vice President Joe Biden vowed Tuesday, warning lawmakers who opposed earlier gun legislation of political hell to pay.

“The country has changed,” Biden, the administration’s point person on gun control, said at an event at the White House. “You will pay a political price for not getting engaged with dealing with gun safety.”

Biden cited a “fundamental change in the political calculus” on guns, in which pro-gun control voters have mobilized, and will look to exact revenge against opposing lawmakers on Election Day.

“Look at those who voted no, and look at the pool results in their states immediately after they voted no,” he said

Biden: White House has not 'given up' on gun control - NBC Politics

I collected these quotes:

"People who own guns are essentially a "sickness on our souls" that must be "cleansed. ... Cleansing a sickness from our souls doesn't come easy. It's gruesome..." - John Morse,

Anti-gun Senator Mike Johnson (D-Denver) is quoted herein as saying this legislation is but a "starting place".

We must be able to arrest people before they commit crimes. By registering guns and knowing who has them we can do that... If they have guns they are pretty likely to commit a crime. - Mary Ann Carlson

Gun violence won't be cured by one set of laws. It will require years of partial measures that will gradually tighten the requirements for gun ownership, and incrementally change expectations about the firepower that should be available to ordinary citizens. - New York Times

Banning guns is an idea whose time has come. - Joseph Biden

I don't know why people carry guns. Guns kill people. - Michael Bloomberg

I don't think there is a Second Amendment right to own a gun. But I think it's a loser political issue. - James Carville

We are taking the law and bending it as far as we can to capture a whole new class of guns [to ban.] - Jose Cerda

We need much stricter gun control, and eventually we should bar the ownership of handguns except in a few cases. - William L. Clay

If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees. - Bill Clinton

If it was up to me, no one but law enforcement officers would own handguns... Richard Daley

You know I don't believe in people owning guns, only the police and military. And I'm going to do everything I can to disarm this state. - Michael Dukakis

I think you have to do it a step at a time and I think that is what the NRA is most concerned about, is that it will happen one very small step at a time, so that by the time people have "woken up" -- quote -- to what's happened, it's gone farther than what they feel the consensus of American citizens would be. But it does have to go one step at a time and the beginning of the banning of semi-assault military weapons, that are military weapons, not "household" weapons, is the first step." - Barbara Fass

The national guard fulfills the the militia mentioned in the Second Amendment. Citizens no longer need to protect the states or themselves. - Dianne Feinstein

If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in," I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here. - Dianne Feinstein

In fact, only police, soldiers and, maybe, licensed target ranges should have handguns. No one else needs one. - Michael Gartner

And nobody is talking about taking guns away from hunters or sportsmen or banning all guns. Nobody is talking about that. - Al Gore :lamo

I think that we should ban so-called junk guns. I think we should ban assault weapons like the weapons used here [in Fort Worth], yes. I think that the kinds of weapons that have no legitimate use for hunting or the kind of weapon that a homeowner would use, I think they should be banned, yes, those kind of weapons." - Al Gore

Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. - Heinrich Himmler

I don't care about crime, I just want to get the guns. - Howard Metzenbaum

I am one who believes that as a first step the U.S. should move expeditiously to disarm the civilian population, other than the police and security officers, of all handguns, pistols and revolvers... no one should have a right to anonymous ownership or use of a gun. - Dean Morris

We are beyond the stage of restrictive licensing and uniform laws. We are at the point in time and terror when nothing short of a strong uniform policy of domestic disarmament will alleviate the danger which is crystal clear and perilously present. Let us take the guns away from the people. Exemptions should be limited to the military, the police and those licensed for good and sufficient reasons. - Patrick V. Murphy

I'm consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. - Barrack Obama

I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manufacturers lobby. - Barrack Obama

Forget what our forefathers said. - Dominick Potifrone

To hell with the constitution...- Mike Roos

Like flat earth fanatics, Second Amendment fanatics just don't get it. Facts are facts. The earth is not flat. And Constitutional law is Constitutional law. The Second Amendment is not absolute. It does not guarantee the mythical individual right to bear arms we will hear argued for today. - Charles Schumer

...the only people who use them [so-called assault weapons] are mass murderers... - Charles Schumer

The goal is an ultimate ban on all guns, but we also have to take step at a time and go for limited access first. - Joyner Sims

If someone is so fearful that, that they're going to start using their weapons to protect their rights, makes me very nervous that these people have these weapons at all! - Henry A. Waxman

Nothing more annoying than a childish despererate idiot like Biden rambling on and on as if he matters. Maybe we need better funding of mental institutions, if we can't find the room to involuntarily commit that asshole then apparently we need to start building more padded cells.

It amuses me how anti-2nd amendment loons can sit there and say no one wants to take your guns when politicians and other anti-2nd amendment loons say **** like that they want to ban this or that.Especially when they used to argue(some still do argue) that the second amendment is a collective right, not an individual right and therefore the government can severely restrict individuals right to keep and bear arms.

There will be no new laws on anything to do with gun control. The gun lobby and gun culture has so decisevely won this battle that it would take a Sandy Hook or Aurora every month for two years to crack their armor.

There will be no new laws on anything to do with gun control. The gun lobby and gun culture has so decisevely won this battle that it would take a Sandy Hook or Aurora every month for two years to crack their armor.

Don't give the gun haters any ideas.

I'm sure you don't want that at all Rahm :roll:

I collected these quotes:

Good post, all of it.

Good list especially. I'm sure it's partial.

I came into this thread as a proponent of "pragmatic gun" control.

I still am. I still think gun law reform is necessary.

But I don't see this current crop of anti-gun politicians being in any way pragmatic or making the changes that I believe are necessary without using their success there to justify further regulation and legislation that goes well beyond the scope of what's truly needed.

I'm going to drop my support of any kind of gun law reform for the time being. If and when I'll go back to advocating for it I can't say.

Pat yourself on the back, you changed at least one mind today.

Don't give the gun haters any ideas.

What does that even mean? :doh:roll:

Can you document any cases of somebody killing numbers of people in a spree because they want to ban guns? :shock:

Good post, all of it.

Good list especially. I'm sure it's partial.

I came into this thread as a proponent of "pragmatic gun" control.

I still am. I still think gun law reform is necessary.

But I don't see this current crop of anti-gun politicians being in any way pragmatic or making the changes that I believe are necessary without using their success there to justify further regulation and legislation that goes well beyond the scope of what's truly needed.

I'm going to drop my support of any kind of gun law reform for the time being. If and when I'll go back to advocating for it I can't say.

Pat yourself on the back, you changed at least one mind today.

Awesome !!!

Not if you live in New York, California, Massachusetts, Illinois,Colorado or some other anti-2nd amendment state. Besides that Obama has almost four years left giving him plenty of time to push for anti-2nd amendment laws. He could also be replaced by another another anti-2nd amendment politician when his term is up.

Not if you live in New York, California, Massachusetts, Illinois,Colorado or some other anti-2nd amendment state. Besides that Obama has almost four years left giving him plenty of time to push for anti-2nd amendment laws. He could also be replaced by another another anti-2nd amendment politician when his term is up.

So the people in those states have lost their ability to own guns? I doubt it.

But I was speaking of the US Congress.

**** you douchemarket

regardless of your failed attempt at wit - it is true just the same.

Oh noes, haymarket claimed I has failed, what will I ever do to recover my self esteem. Its not like he uses that word often or baselessly :roll:

Depending on the gun, yes. But to the likes of you who thinks so long as you can own a single muzzle loaded black powder gun there is no such thing as an infringement to the 2nd Amendment, i'm sure you applaud the violation of our rights. May posterity forget you were our countryman.

The right to own guns in those states has been turned into a state granted privilege.

Anti-2nd amendment trash work on the state level too and just like anti-2nd amendment trash at the federal level they too use rare tragedies to push for more "gun control" and often succeed.

The right to own guns in those states has been turned into a state granted privilege.

Anti-2nd amendment trash work on the state level too and just like anti-2nd amendment trash at the federal level they too use rare tragedies to push for more "gun control" and often succeed.

So who in the USA or any state cannot ow keep and bear arms who could five or ten years ago?

and at its core was what exactly? If that was a joke, I would not quit your day job anytime soon for Vegas. :roll:

Seriously? What freedom hating anti-gun loon wouldn't gladly kill a classroom full of kids if it could be used to push through a gun ban of some kind?

Seriously? What freedom hating anti-gun loon wouldn't gladly kill a classroom full of kids if it could be used to push through a gun ban of some kind?

and I have little doubt you are chuckfilled with such examples to validate your suspicions. :doh:roll:

and I have little doubt you are chuckfilled with such examples to validate your suspicions. :doh:roll:

Nah, i'm not big on conspiracy theories. I view those in gubberment as being far too stoopid for anything that complicated.

But, I am sure they will not let the next tragedy go to waste either, so I'm sure they are all waiting like a kid on Christmas morning.

Nah, i'm not big on conspiracy theories. I view those in gubberment as being far too stoopid for anything that complicated.

But, I am sure they will not let the next tragedy go to waste either, so I'm sure they are all waiting like a kid on Christmas morning.

Thank you for admitting you have nothing but your own beliefs based on only those same beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom