• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Benefits of Being Open-Minded

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Preface:
Knowing the closed-minded folks out there won't read this, it IS long, so takes some patience, but maybe a few open-minded people will read this:

Some excerpts:

If you are not open to other ideas and perspectives, it is difficult to see all of the factors that contribute to problems or come up with effective solutions. In an increasingly polarized world, being able to step outside your comfort zone and consider other perspectives and ideas is important.
  • Open-mindedness can also involve asking questions and being active about searching for information that challenges your beliefs.
  • It also encompasses the belief that other people should be free to express their beliefs and arguments, even if you do not necessarily agree with those views.

Characteristics of Open-Minded People​

• They are curious to hear what others think.
  • They are able to have their ideas challenged.
  • They don’t get angry when they are wrong.
  • They have empathy for other people.
  • They think about what other people are thinking.
  • They are humble about their own knowledge and expertise.
  • They want to hear what other people have to say.
  • They believe others have a right to share their beliefs and thoughts.
A cognitive tendency known as the confirmation bias can be one of the biggest contributors to closed-mindedness. Overcoming this tendency, however, can be a bit tricky. The confirmation bias involves paying more attention to things that confirm our existing beliefs, while at the same time discounting evidence that challenges what we think.

Preface:
Knowing the closed-minded folks out there won't read this, it IS long, so takes some patience, but maybe a few open-minded people will read this:

Some excerpts:

If you are not open to other ideas and perspectives, it is difficult to see all of the factors that contribute to problems or come up with effective solutions. In an increasingly polarized world, being able to step outside your comfort zone and consider other perspectives and ideas is important.
  • Open-mindedness can also involve asking questions and being active about searching for information that challenges your beliefs.
  • It also encompasses the belief that other people should be free to express their beliefs and arguments, even if you do not necessarily agree with those views.

Characteristics of Open-Minded People​

• They are curious to hear what others think.
  • They are able to have their ideas challenged.
  • They don’t get angry when they are wrong.
  • They have empathy for other people.
  • They think about what other people are thinking.
  • They are humble about their own knowledge and expertise.
  • They want to hear what other people have to say.
  • They believe others have a right to share their beliefs and thoughts.
A cognitive tendency known as the confirmation bias can be one of the biggest contributors to closed-mindedness. Overcoming this tendency, however, can be a bit tricky. The confirmation bias involves paying more attention to things that confirm our existing beliefs, while at the same time discounting evidence that challenges what we think.

Open-mindedness is necessary for growth. But it has its limits. I am open to new ideas in general, but not ones that are insane, racist, demonstrably wrong, and so forth.

Open-mindedness is necessary for growth. But it has its limits. I am open to new ideas in general, but not ones that are insane, racist, demonstrably wrong, and so forth.
granted, by I posted THIS for a different audience, if you get my drift ;)

I'm open to being close minded.

granted, by I posted THIS for a different audience, if you get my drift ;)

I know. :) But just because we're not programmed into the lunacy doesn't mean we get a pass from open-mindedness.

I've personally seen people on the left be closed-minded, but it is much less of a systemic problem than on the far right.

I know. :) But just because we're not programmed into the lunacy doesn't mean we get a pass from open-mindedness.

I've personally seen people on the left be closed-minded, but it is much less of a systemic problem than on the far right.
Granted, closed-mindedness has no political affiliation or religious affiliation BUT........ we know on which side of the spectrum the MOST closed-minded DO fall on, and they will be the first (once they discover this thread) to bring their close-minded rebuttals.

Back
Top Bottom