• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The "Ask The Atheist/Agnostic/Non-Believer" Thread

I'm aware.

You’ll find very few (if any) atheists are going to ridicule the simple belief in God. But belief in a global flood? Belief that Buddhist monks can live without eating or drinking anything? Belief that Mohammad road to heaven on horseback?

There’s lots of religious beliefs fully deserving of ridicule.

You’ll find very few (if any) atheists are going to ridicule the simple belief in God. But belief in a global flood? Belief that Buddhist monks can live without eating or drinking anything? Belief that Mohammad road to heaven on horseback?

There’s lots of religious beliefs fully deserving of ridicule.

On the contrary, I've found that many atheists' ridicule begins with the very basic notion of God existing. "Sky daddy," they say.

On the contrary, I've found that many atheists' ridicule begins with the very basic notion of God existing. "Sky daddy," they say.

Because that’s not a simple belief in god. “Sky daddy” directly addresses the ridiculousness of the idea of the personal god, who intervenes (except where he doesn’t), and controls the world (except for the things he can’t stop), and loves you (except when you’re being tortured forever).

Because that’s not a simple belief in god. “Sky daddy” directly addresses the ridiculousness of the idea of the personal god, who intervenes (except where he doesn’t), and controls the world (except for the things he can’t stop), and loves you (except when you’re being tortured forever).

Yes, that is the simple belief in God since that's the God of the Bible.

What's harmful about believing in God?
Ask some gay kids.

Some kids you can’t ask because they’re dead. Their parents thought they could pray the disease away.

Ask those who have been shunned for simply not believing properly.

Can’t ask those whose family killed them for falling in love with the wrong guy.

Ask the kids who were raped by church members/staff, but their parents refused to believe their claims and cries for help.

Ask some native Indian tribes people.

I witness (no pun intended) family dysfunction on an almost daily basis thanks to nothing more than religious belief. Yes, Jehovah’s Witness parents and their kids who are not JW’s.

Yes, that is the simple belief in God since that's the God of the Bible.

No, a deistic god would a simple belief in God. The God of the Bible has a lot of baggage with it.

If someone believes in a god who on the one hand says “Don’t eat shrimp, it’s immoral and a sin” and also says “you can own slaves and beat them so long as it takes more than two days for the slave to die”, why should that belief not be ridiculed?

Ask some gay kids.

Some kids you can’t ask because they’re dead. Their parents thought they could pray the disease away.

Ask those who have been shunned for simply not believing properly.

Can’t ask those whose family killed them for falling in love with the wrong guy.

Ask the kids who were raped by church members/staff, but their parents refused to believe their claims and cries for help.

Ask some native Indian tribes people.

I witness (no pun intended) family dysfunction on an almost daily basis thanks to nothing more than religious belief. Yes, Jehovah’s Witness parents and their kids who are not JW’s.

Not all people who believe in God believe or agree with those things. You shouldn't bundle all believers into this ball of evil. Yes, those things are awful. No, not all believers in God are awful.

Not all people who believe in God believe or agree with those things. You shouldn't bundle all believers into this ball of evil. Yes, those things are awful. No, not all believers in God are awful.
Point to where I said anything like that. I’ll wait.

Why do you ridicule their beliefs? How is it harming you if someone believes in God?
Well if someone claims that Jonah literally spent 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of a whale literally happened because the bible says so, well then a person has to really try his best not to poke a bit of fun at the person who claims this. I would have been able to keep it in but others, who knows.

When someone claims that Abijah spoke to 1.2 million soldiers at once, well that sound a bit crazy.

When someone says that god sent 2 bears to maul 42 boys for making fun of a bald person.

When someone tells that the story of Noah literally happened because it said so in the bible, sure, Noah was 500 years old when he became father of three sons.

etc. etc. etc.

If someone claims these things with a straight face, well then it is difficult to not feel an inkling of poking fun at someone for holding such out of touch/totally ridiculous views.

So then the Bible is false when it says things that are anti-gay? Or you don’t believe in the “God of the Bible”?

Point to where I said anything like that. I’ll wait.

I asked what is harmful about believing in God and you listed all of those horrible things.

I asked what is harmful about believing in God and you listed all of those horrible things.
I think believing in fake things is more harmful than not believing in fake things. People believe all kinds of stupid scams; religion and gods are just the most successful long con in history.

So then the Bible is false when it says things that are anti-gay? Or you don’t believe in the “God of the Bible”?

I'm saying that not all Christians are anti-gay.

I agree. That's a different topic.

Actually it bring up and entire new subset of ridiculous beliefs: how one determines which parts of scripture are “God’s word” or not.

Actually it bring up and entire new subset of ridiculous beliefs: how one determines which parts of scripture are “God’s word” or not.

True. I've had many discussions here with people who swear up and down that the Bible says nothing against homosexuality.

Full circle to my original point, there are no True Christians.
Oh, but there are...those who implicitly follow Christ's teachings contained within the Bible...

Full circle to my original point, there are no True Christians.

Disagree. There are people who follow the teachings of Christ closely and genuinely.

I don’t know. Do you think you’re a real Christian? Do you follow everything the Bible says?
I follow Christ's teachings to the best of my ability, yes...

Oh, but there are...those who implicitly follow Christ's teachings contained within the Bible...

Disagree. There are people who follow the teachings of Christ closely and genuinely.
And once you two can agree on a consistent interpretation of what that is, I'd listen. Right now it's thousands of different megaphones all screaming they're the only one true religion, with nothing distinguishing between them. As soon as the atheists shut up, they're all back at each other's throats.

Back
Top Bottom