• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The art of getting racial votes

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
There are a lot of white voters. So, every candidate would like to get their votes.

Saying, "hey vote for me because I'm a racist and will treat you as better than everyone else" actually doesn't tend to get votes.

And so the trick is, to say something like that in a way that DOES get votes.

What people DO respond to is a narrative in which they are the victim or threatened, and offered protection. In which justice is on their side - even if really, not so much.

So, for example, say it's a time when there is actual slavery - a bit hard to paint whites as the victims. But a politicians who comes along and scares the crap out of white people talking about the dangers of slave uprisings, that slaves might cut their throats as they sleep, and claiming the other side is not going to protect them from that while they will - THAT might get votes.

The other side might want to talk about, hey, this slavery isn't fair to black people, and you white people should do the right thing and end it, and that might work if it weren't for the other side scaring them.

Just as today, liberals can talk about 'justice' all they want, but if a Republican scares white people about crime, reparations, affirmative action, tosses in a few cherry picked cases of reverse discrimination or whites being harmed - that can get a lot of white votes. And does.

That's the trick, really. Making white people feel ok about voting for candidates 'on their side'. Selling them a racial agenda, while disguising it as something else. Saying, 'white people! vote for the candidate who is for a white people agenda!' while not actually saying that, and instead making it sound like 'vote for the only sensible candidate, while the other side is out to harm you!'

That's why you heard stories about 'caravans' before the last election - thousands of dirty refugees headed to invade the US, scaring people into saying, 'well only the Republicans are saying they'll protect us from that, so I'll vote for them!' It's not as simple as EXPLICITLY racist platforms, and that's why criticisms of racism fall on deaf ears.

There are a lot of white voters. So, every candidate would like to get their votes.

Saying, "hey vote for me because I'm a racist and will treat you as better than everyone else" actually doesn't tend to get votes.

What people DO respond to is a narrative in which they are the victim or threatened, and offered protection. In which justice is on their side - even if really, not so much.

So, for example, say it's a time when there is actual slavery - a bit hard to paint whites as the victims. But a politicians who comes along and scares the crap out of white people talking about the dangers of slave uprisings, that slaves might cut their throats as they sleep, and claiming the other side is not going to protect them from that while they will - THAT might get votes.

The other side might want to talk about, hey, this slavery isn't fair to black people, and you white people should do the right thing and end it, and that might work if it weren't for the other side scaring them.

Just as today, liberals can talk about 'justice' all they want, but if a Republican scares white people about crime, reparations, affirmative action, tosses in a few cherry picked cases of reverse discrimination or whites being harmed - that can get a lot of white votes. And does.

That's the trick, really. Making white people feel ok about voting for candidates 'on their side'. Selling them a racial agenda, while disguising it as something else. Saying, 'white people! vote for the candidate who is for a white people agenda!' while not actually saying that, and instead making it sound like 'vote for the only sensible candidate, while the other side is out to harm you!'

That's why you heard stories about 'caravans' before the last election - thousands of dirty refugees headed to invade the US, scaring people into saying, 'well only the Republicans are saying they'll protect us from that, so I'll vote for them!' It's not as simple as EXPLICITLY racist platforms, and that's why criticisms of racism fall on deaf ears.
The left has perfected the art of scaring black people, so much so that they girl their own neighborhoods down in hysteria.

All over a tiny handful of anecdotes repeated over and ever. While the actual big picture statistics shows the talking points are false.

I disagree with your thesis. It may have been true in 1960, but racial dog-whistles don't work as well today.

I'd say there were more white marchers/protesters after the George Floyd murder than African-American.

In addition, polls show that Donald Trump gets low numbers from white voters regarding racial injustice/inequality.

Core Trump supporters will support Donald Trump no matter what he does. We saw that this weekend with his "losers and suckers" slurs of US soldiers.

But it is the independents that will decide the 2020 election. Poll after poll shows Joe Biden still ahead, even in the battleground states.

I think Trump is making a strategic mistake in adopting the persona of George Wallace. He already has those voters. Most Americans have moved beyond that.

But we'll see come November.

The Democrats have been winning black vote like that for decades.

Core Trump supporters will support Donald Trump no matter what he does. We saw that this weekend with his "losers and suckers" slurs of US soldiers.

But it is the independents that will decide the 2020 election. Poll after poll shows Joe Biden still ahead, even in the battleground states.

I think Trump is making a strategic mistake in adopting the persona of George Wallace. He already has those voters. Most Americans have moved beyond that.

But we'll see come November.

Yeah, but that isn't true. Come up with something accurate, then get back with us.

The left has perfected the art of scaring black people, so much so that they girl their own neighborhoods down in hysteria.

All over a tiny handful of anecdotes repeated over and ever. While the actual big picture statistics shows the talking points are false.

Damn

Democrats don't need to scare blacks to.get their vote

Trump and his redneck deplorables scare them plenty

Damn

Democrats don't need to scare blacks to.get their vote

Trump and his redneck deplorables scare them plenty
Yea, based on dem lying talking points.

I disagree with your thesis. It may have been true in 1960, but racial dog-whistles don't work as well today.

I'd say there were more white marchers/protesters after the George Floyd murder than African-American.

In addition, polls show that Donald Trump gets low numbers from white voters regarding racial injustice/inequality.

Yes, and those white voters are voting for Biden, aren't they. I'm talking about how Republicans get other white voters. Sure, they can rank him low on 'racial justice'. But the ones who he's able to get to feel threatened who will vote for him anyway. Last I checked, Republicans have a majority of white voters... sadly.

Excellent analysis!

If that is so, why is Biden talking about his plans to fix things like the economy and Covid, while Trump is talking about keeping low income housing out of the lily white suburbs and so called law and order while all of his administration get ready to go to jail. It is the same thing Nixon did to get the white vote. So who is looking at solving problems and who is just trying to scare people?

If that is so, why is Biden talking about his plans to fix things like the economy and Covid, while Trump is talking about keeping low income housing out of the lily white suburbs and so called law and order while all of his administration get ready to go to jail. It is the same thing Nixon did to get the white vote. So who is looking at solving problems and who is just trying to scare people?

Your bias only sees one side, both sides will and do try to scare people, it’s a major tactic of the left to scare various groups.

Back
Top Bottom