• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Annual Republican Crisis

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
a article from the new york times editorial board.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/15/opinion/sunday/the-annual-republican-crisis.html?hp&_r=0

The fiscal year is about to end, so the annual awakening of Tea Party Republicans in the House and Senate is about to begin. Most of the time they sit around and do virtually nothing but gripe (they have made the current Congress the least productive ever), but a new fiscal year finally gives them a chance to govern the only way they know how: by creating a false crisis in order to tear down a piece of the government.

this year, as has been the case so often in the past, their target is President Obama’s health care reform law. If it is not repealed or defunded or delayed or otherwise left bleeding in the public square, they will not pass a spending bill needed to keep the government open past Sept. 30. And if that doesn’t cripple the health law (which it won’t), they will resort to the far more serious threat of default, refusing to raise the nation’s debt ceiling, no matter the catastrophe that would cause.

It has been clear for months that House Republicans are not going to agree to the Senate’s reasonable spending plan for 2014, one that replaces the damage of the sequester with a mix of revenue increases and less-harmful cuts. The House budget, in fact, calls for cuts to below the sequester level. The best that can be hoped for is a stopgap measure, known as a continuing resolution, to keep the government running through mid-December at this year’s inadequate level.

But on Wednesday, with time running out, House leaders announced they couldn’t manage even something as simple as that. Speaker John Boehner and Eric Cantor, the majority leader, had come up with a far-fetched scheme to placate the radicals in their coalition by attaching a provision to the spending resolution that would force the Senate to vote on defunding health reform. The Senate would, of course, instantly reject the health care language, but it could then approve the spending measure to prevent a shutdown.

The Republican extremists killed the idea, leaving the scheme without enough votes. They are no longer interested in symbolic blows against the health law; there have already been scores of those votes. They actually think they can get the Senate, and ultimately the president, to approve the defunding of the health law — Mr. Obama’s most important achievement — by threatening to harm the nation and the economy.

i don't understand how anyone on the republican side actually think that their streatgy will work. why do they think the senate would vote for, or the president signing any bill the defunds or destroys Obama's signature legislative achievement?

The best option is to fund government operations and defund Obamacare. It's workable and that now appears to be something that Boehner will back. Now is a good time, many in both parties have lost all faith and trust in Obama.

The best option is to fund government operations and defund Obamacare.

you know that negotiating position is not going to work. the democrats gain nothing by defunding obama's signature achievement, and it should not be used as a hostage in exchange for funding the government or raising the debt ceiling.

you know that negotiating position is not going to work. the democrats gain nothing by defunding obama's signature achievement, and it should not be used as a hostage in exchange for funding the government or raising the debt ceiling.

It's not a negotiating position, it's a result that will work in the House. Quite a stretch to still keep referring to Obamacare as a "signature achievement."

It's not a negotiating position, it's a result that will work in the House. Quite a stretch to still keep referring to Obamacare as a "signature achievement."

The house is asking for something that cannot pass the senate or survive a presidential veto.

i don't understand how anyone on the republican side actually think that their streatgy will work. why do they think the senate would vote for, or the president signing any bill the defunds or destroys Obama's signature legislative achievement?

It interesting, unlike the Democrat Party the Republican Party aren't all in lockstep and opposing opinions and descent are allowed.

BTW: Look at who are sitting on the N.Y. Times editorial board. DORKS. -> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/opinion/editorialboard.html

I'm not a proponent of the Health Care law, but the Republicans schemes are so childish and appalling. I can understand blocking any new things the President wants to do, that is their right. But circumventing the repeal process because they don't have enough votes now (and they didn't have enough when it was passed) is cowardly. You lost, the law hurts the American people, but so does shutting down the government. If the tables were switched Republicans would never shut up about how they are being used.

You're assuming that Republicans think, a common and sometimes fatal mistake for Democrats.
a article from the new york times editorial board.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/15/opinion/sunday/the-annual-republican-crisis.html?hp&_r=0

You're assuming that Republicans think, a common and sometimes fatal mistake for Democrats.

I am a man of reason and i don't know how any republican can believe that democrats would honestly vote to repeal obamacare in exchange for funding the government.

Again, you're using words not in the Repub vocab, such as "reason".
They scheduled 40 days of official work in the last 5 months of this year.
They took their 41st vote against their own HeritageCare and then took their ball and went home.
I am a man of reason and i don't know how any republican can believe that democrats would honestly vote to repeal obamacare in exchange for funding the government.

Back
Top Bottom