• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The American Spirit (Key Principles)

philipp

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Hi!

I live outside the USA and I’ve never been on the American continent. But no matter if in or outside the US most accountable people agree that the United States are the greatest country on earth.

For years, I wonder why the US is so extraordinary. And after I had long conversations in a Tea-Party Forum I came to the following conclusion: There are at least 5 core values or key principles the American spirit bases on which are not present or only partially present in other, ordinary societies. If you would remove just one of these five the USA would no longer be the same. I identified the following:

Core Values

1. Capitalism, Liberty, Freedom, Self-Responsibility, Achievement

2. Independence, Individualism

3. Judeo-Christian Dominant Culture and Mentality

4. Diversity

5. Materialism, Consumerism, Wealth, The American Way/Dream

Ad 1) Capitalism, Liberty, Freedom, Self-Responsibility, Achievement
The first and probably most important principle of the United States is the capitalistic economic system. But it’s not only about the economic system, moreover it’s about the mindset and mentality of American people. The genuine US-American mind values a life of freedom, liberty and self-responsibility and appreciates the opportunity of individual achievement and success.

Ad 2) Independence, Individualism
I’m not sure if this second point “Independence, Individualism” is just a subset of the fist “Capitalism”. Anyway the striving for freedom isn’t restricted to the occupational or business-life but also expands the private life dimensions.

Ad 3) Judeo-Christian Dominant Culture and Mentality
By my understanding a third key principles of the United States is the Judeo-Christian Dominant Culture. Some reject this idea because there are many religions in the US but I think the country would no longer be the same if for example Muslims would make up the majority. Not only did the founding fathers come from Jewish-Christian societies, there is also something within Christianity and Jewishness itself that facilitates the development of a nation like the USA.
I think Jewish-Christian traditions and mentalities are a necessary fundament of modern western society. And there is even scientific evidence that the Protestant mindset led to a capitalist economic system.

Ad 4) Diversity
Although I believe that the genuine spirit of the USA couldn’t exist without a Judeo-Christian majority the United States would also loose its character if it had no cultural diversity. Even if diversity is part of the US I believe the benefit of diversity can only unfold if the number of minorities is not too high - a too large number of immigrants would dilute the nation's character.
I don’t know which ratio of cultures would be the best, but I know the mixture I would prefer is somewhat like it existed in the 1990s: A black and white Christian majority beside a few larger minorities (Jews, Asian, Hispanic).

Ad 5) Materialism, Consumerism, Wealth, The American Way/Dream
I think one very essential part of the American spirit is the appreciation of and aspiration for material things. Americans want to buy things!
Some might disagree but I see the aspiration for commodities (under certain preconditions) as character strength. If a person is able to value a product, he or she is able to appreciate man-made beauty. Consumer society probably has reached its highest level in the USA.

I ‘m curious if you – from an inside perspective – come to the same conclusion.

Last edited:

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

In general, I agree with four of your five points.

Have a nice day!

Hi!

I live outside the USA and I’ve never been on the American continent. But no matter if in or outside the US most accountable people agree that the United States are the greatest country on earth.

For years, I wonder why the US is so extraordinary. And after I had long conversations in a Tea-Party Forum I came to the following conclusion: There are at least 5 core values or key principles the American spirit bases on which are not present or only partially present in other, ordinary societies. If you would remove just one of these five the USA would no longer be the same. I identified the following:

Core Values

1. Capitalism, Liberty, Freedom, Self-Responsibility, Achievement

2. Independence, Individualism

3. Judeo-Christian Dominant Culture and Mentality

4. Diversity

5. Materialism, Consumerism, Wealth, The American Way/Dream

Ad 1) Capitalism, Liberty, Freedom, Self-Responsibility, Achievement
The first and probably most important principle of the United States is the capitalistic economic system. But it’s not only about the economic system, moreover it’s about the mindset and mentality of American people. The genuine US-American mind values a life of freedom, liberty and self-responsibility and appreciates the opportunity of individual achievement and success.

Ad 2) Independence, Individualism
I’m not sure if this second point “Independence, Individualism” is just a subset of the fist “Capitalism”. Anyway the striving for freedom isn’t restricted to the occupational or business-life but also expands the private life dimensions.

Ad 3) Judeo-Christian Dominant Culture and Mentality
By my understanding a third key principles of the United States is the Judeo-Christian Dominant Culture. Some reject this idea because there are many religions in the US but I think the country would no longer be the same if for example Muslims would make up the majority. Not only did the founding fathers come from Jewish-Christian societies, there is also something within Christianity and Jewishness itself that facilitates the development of a nation like the USA.
I think Jewish-Christian traditions and mentalities are a necessary fundament of modern western society. And there is even scientific evidence that the Protestant mindset led to a capitalist economic system.

Ad 4) Diversity
Although I believe that the genuine spirit of the USA couldn’t exist without a Judeo-Christian majority the United States would also loose its character if it had no cultural diversity. Even if diversity is part of the US I believe the benefit of diversity can only unfold if the number of minorities is not too high - a too large number of immigrants would dilute the nation's character.
I don’t know which ratio of cultures would be the best, but I know the mixture I would prefer is somewhat like it existed in the 1990s: A black and white Christian majority beside a few larger minorities (Jews, Asian, Hispanic).

Ad 5) Materialism, Consumerism, Wealth, The American Way/Dream
I think one very essential part of the American spirit is the appreciation of and aspiration for material things. Americans want to buy things!
Some might disagree but I see the aspiration for commodities (under certain preconditions) as character strength. If a person is able to value a product, he or she is able to appreciate man-made beauty. Consumer society probably has reached its highest level in the USA.

Astute observations.

At what point do you disagree?

Good morning from California, Philipp.

One thing that many Americans have learned during the last two years is to be very careful about what they say publicly.

You may have heard that all Americans prize free speech.

Not so.

With that in mind, I cannot answer your question honestly, so it is better to say nothing.

Have a nice day!

One thing that many Americans have learned during the last two years is to be very careful about what they say publicly.

Not so.

With that in mind, I cannot answer your question honestly, so it is better to say nothing.
Good morning too - must be cool living in CA!

Yes, we already had this discussion but again: I agree that you can’t speak freely about many things (e.g. border control, radical Islam, being pro Trump...) in real life. But online you can take every position you want to (as long you don’t say the n-word or the like).

You could also send me a private message.

Astute observations.
Thanks, but don't you think there are further points I've missed? Or is this it?
I'm especially interested in attributes that America(ns) have but other societies don’t.

Last edited:
[1] must be cool living in CA!

[2]You could also send me a private message.

[1] Well, the weather is fantastic. Sunny (usually) all year round here in So(uthern) Cal(ifornia). I have lived here all my 81 years. Can't imagine how people can live in areas that endure snow, excessive rain, scorching heat, hurricanes, etc.

Politically and socially, living in the Golden State is NOT that "cool," but that's another topic.

[2] I agree with those members who avoid private messages and prefer everything to be said in open forum.

P.S. I see that you live in Europe, where some "interesting" things are happening. Good luck!

Not so.

Have a nice day!

Very violent enemies of civilization in America have called for the brutal murders of cops and they called that "free speech." I agree that such 'free speech' should be criminalized.

[1] I agree with those members who avoid private messages and prefer everything to be said in open forum.

[2] P.S. I see that you live in Europe, where some "interesting" things are happening. Good luck!
[1] Then you have to speak!
[2] I stopped reading or watching news about European issues since the beginning of muslim mass immigration. So I actually don’t know what’s going on here now. I’m no more interested, I gave this continent up a long time ago.

[1] Then you have to speak!
[2] I stopped reading or watching news about European issues since the beginning of muslim mass immigration. So I actually don’t know what’s going on here now. I’m no more interested, I gave this continent up a long time ago.

You should try the Danish Swirls. I hear they taste pretty good.

I gave this continent up a long time ago.

That is a very interesting comment.

I cannot comment on your comment, for it concerns a very delicate subject.

When you and I became members, we had to agree to observe strict posting rules in regard to certain topics.

So almost every day I see some threads that I want to contribute to, but I do not dare do so.

I think that from your words that I have posted above, I can guess your feelings about a certain topic.

I think that I am allowed to wish you the very best of luck.

That is a very interesting comment.

I cannot comment on your comment, for it concerns a very delicate subject.

When you and I became members, we had to agree to observe strict posting rules in regard to certain topics.

So almost every day I see some threads that I want to contribute to, but I do not dare do so.

I think that from your words that I have posted above, I can guess your feelings about a certain topic.

I think that I am allowed to wish you the very best of luck.
He should post the grid map where he wishes the arms shipment to be dropped in.

Back
Top Bottom