• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The American Right is Voting for a Putin Clone

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
ANd, here I thought their support for Pailin was the lowpoint of the idiocy over there. SMH,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...397692-50e5-11e6-a7d8-13d06b37f256_story.html

In both cases, the intent of the speaker is to elicit the visceral emotions of fear and disgust before relieving them with a cleansing anger that overwhelms everything else. Only the leader can make the fear and disgust go away. The leader will channel your hatred and frustration and make everything better. How, exactly? Well, that’s not important right now.

The demagogic candidate must paint a bleak picture of the status quo, citing every catastrophe and failure before presenting the even darker future ahead if he isn’t granted the power to act

And, the morons are lapping it up like a puppy dog slurping from a puddle on a hot day.

That is a normal consequence of years and years of weak leadership.

People tend to get anxious, reject the weak political group and look for a strong leader.

It should surprise no one that Trump is out front in this election year.

People tend to get anxious, reject the weak political group and look for a strong leader.

I guess, I would have expected this more from the Left. But, maybe not. The Right has demonstrated it's love for authoritarian rule for well over a decade now. They loved Cheney, after all.

I guess, I would have expected this more from the Left. But, maybe not. The Right has demonstrated it's love for authoritarian rule for well over a decade now. They loved Cheney, after all.

Don't confuse left/right with authoritarian/egalitarian.

Both left and right have authoritarians AND egalitarians......and in fairly even numbers, it seems.

Wrong. The reason the GOP has wound up with Trump is the following:

- Goldwater’s opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

- Nixon’s “Southern Strategy” wherein he deliberately sought the votes of the “negrophobes” in a successful effort to swing the Deep South from the Democratic party to the Republican party. The Deep South is now the strongest base of the GOP, and the leaders of the GOP in the Deep South are the children of the very same “negrophobes” whose votes Nixon sought. This is the source of much of the racism that informs Republican policies and political philosophy even today, as is made clear in a 1981 interview with Reagan’s political adviser Lee Atwater, for those policies and political philosophies are now unquestionably part of conservative political dogma.

- Reagan’s repeal of the “Fairness Doctrine”that required the holders of broadcast licences both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was—in the Commission's view—honest, equitable, and balanced.

- The rise of conservative pundits such as Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter whose influence became such that they - along with the Religious Right - essentially began defining the modern meaning of political and social conservatism. Though the influence of the pundits has waned over the past several years, for almost two decades, they were virtual kingmakers within the GOP.

- The rise of the Religious Right, who were particularly strong in the Deep South - the “Bible Belt” - that had relatively recently shifted allegiance from the Democratic Party to the GOP. Their influence has been and - until the rise of Trump - continued to be such that it almost (and in some cases was literally) seen as a sin to agree with liberals on almost any political or social issue.

- The shift of the GOP from supporting the Voting Rights Act in 2006 almost in lockstep to opposing the Voting Rights Act - again, almost in lockstep - after the election of Barack Obama, the first black man to occupy the White House.

- And the single greatest factor, the one that not only enables but even magnifies the effects of all the above, is the eventual but essentially unstoppable demographic shift of the American population to majority-minority, wherein whites will only comprise a plurality of the population. In all history, I cannot think of a similar demographic shift that did not result in great violence. The more the dominant demographic’s power and influence diminishes, the more they will “circle the wagons” in order to preserve the power and influence they still have.

It is the confluence of the factors above that lead me to believe that the GOP - or at least the majority of the GOP that is so strongly supporting the current presidential nominee Donald Trump - will continue to “circle the wagons”, to become ever more strongly conservative (as they themselves define conservatism). Whether this will result in a true schism within the party or the birth of a new party, I cannot tell. But they will continue to shift further to the right for some time to come. The problem never will totally go away - racism will exist as long as there are different shades of skin - but hopefully, when the GOP suffers a resounding defeat of landslide proportions (which may not happen during this election cycle), the influence of the above factors will diminish, and so we may avoid the violence that has almost always accompanied great demographic shifts in the past.

Oh, I don't know about all that.

America has been Nazi since the firm refusal to go to war against Hitler.

Hitler was admired in America.

Roosevelt had to allow and partly orchestrate the Pearl Harbor attack to get things going.

Don't confuse left/right with authoritarian/egalitarian.

Both left and right have authoritarians AND egalitarians......and in fairly even numbers, it seems.

Sure. In fact, it's the Left's Social Justice Warriors---their war on logic, from BLM to this whole women's bathroom thing, their war on free speech, their refusal to argue against radical Islam, for example---that pissed off enough people that suddenly Trump's anti-PC position looks refreshing.

Now, of course, the Trumpeteers haven't the mental capacity to distinguish between Wahhabi-like radical Islam and the more moderate Sunnis, not to mention they probably do not know a damned thing about Shiites. So, all we get from Trump is rhetoric directing hate on all Muslims. And that, of course, works to his benefit, since nuance is the enemy of a demagogue.

Sure. In fact, it's the Left's Social Justice Warriors---their war on logic, from BLM to this whole women's bathroom thing, their war on free speech, their refusal to argue against radical Islam, for example---that pissed off enough people that suddenly Trump's anti-PC position looks refreshing.

Now, of course, the Trumpeteers haven't the mental capacity to distinguish between Wahhabi-like radical Islam and the more moderate Sunnis, not to mention they probably do not know a damned thing about Shiites. So, all we get from Trump is rhetoric directing hate on all Muslims. And that, of course, works to his benefit, since nuance is the enemy of a demagogue.

I suspect that Trump may get so popular that somebody will have to shoot him.......it's starting to look like the Huey Long or George Wallace phenomenon all over again.

I suspect that Trump may get so popular that somebody will have to shoot him.......it's starting to look like the Huey Long or George Wallace phenomenon all over again.

na...he'll shoot himself----in the foot.

Don't you mean years and years of not being in the Whitehouse and an electorate that looks like they will never vote in a Republican again? That is all I see at least. A feeling of helplessness when dealing with social changes they want to roll back.

Don't you mean years and years of not being in the Whitehouse and an electorate that looks like they will never vote in a Republican again? That is all I see at least. A feeling of helplessness when dealing with social changes they want to roll back.

No, I mean what I said.

The electorate looks like it will vote for Trump. I don't know which electorate you're looking at.

na...he'll shoot himself----in the foot.

LOL!

His feet are already full of bullet holes and yet he's neck and neck with Clinton in the polls.......and now new dirt on her illegal e-mails is coming out tomorrow from Wikileaks.

With the Wikileaks revelations........he could end up running against Sanders.

Best possible solution for everybody, because Sanders could win that.

Wrong. An interesting dynamic is at work for this election. America is split many ways, there is massive hate, rage and frustration and some can't decide who they hate the most........and will just STAY HOME.

Yeats described it best.

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

November will see the most massive and angry white working and middle class vote in history.......while the rest muddle in confusion.

BlackLivesMatter, cop-killers, Muslim terrorists, illegal immigrants and the sins of the candidates have set this outcome in stone.......already.

Wrong. An interesting dynamic is at work for this election. America is split many ways, there is massive hate, rage and frustration and some can't decide who they hate the most........and will just STAY HOME.

Yeats described it best.

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

November will see the most massive and angry white working and middle class vote in history.......while the rest muddle in confusion.

BlackLivesMatter, cop-killers, Muslim terrorists, illegal immigrants and the sins of the candidates have set this outcome in stone.......already.

Wrong. Those angry whites represent a minority which is why they are angry. They have lost their power. Change is a bitch.

Do you actually believe all this crap that you come across? Putin doesn't have a USSC to put his azz back in place.

You actually feel safe with a Putin sympathizer because the SC is going to protect you? Trump has sold out to the Russians and we come last.

Do you actually believe all this crap that you come across? Putin doesn't have a USSC to put his azz back in place.

Presidents have been known to ignore SCOTUS. And, a particular party has been known to not even give a nominee to the High Court a hearing in the Senate. :roll:

If ever there were signs that our system of separation of powers is in danger of falling apart...it's beaming in neon right now.

You actually feel safe with a Putin sympathizer because the SC is going to protect you? Trump has sold out to the Russians and we come last.

OMG..............the very same man who claims that republicans are war mongers and paranoid.

I hope you eventually catch your tail one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom