• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Alabama Senate race is becoming a headache for Trump — again

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Arguably no red state has frustrated Donald Trump more than Alabama has since he won the presidency in 2016.

For starters, the original candidate he endorsed in Alabama’s 2017 special Senate race, Luther Strange, ended up losing the GOP primary to Roy Moore.

106555438-1590674257423preview.jpg

Then Trump backed Moore — remember him? — who ended up losing the general special election to Democrat Doug Jones (which Republicans won back in 2020).

Let’s also not forget that the entire special election took place because Trump picked then-Sen. Jeff Sessions to be his attorney general, which created the Senate vacancy.

And now in the 2022 race to succeed retiring Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., Trump is thinking about rescinding his endorsement of Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala., who’s competing against fellow Republicans Katie Britt and Mike Durant in the May 24 primary.

“Mo Brooks is disappointing,” the former president told the Washington Examiner. “I’m determining right now, has Mo Brooks — has he changed?”

Trump went on to explain in the interview that Brooks was “inarticulate” in describing Trump’s debunked claims about fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

Brooks responded, telling AL.com: “I am baffled because my position on voter fraud has not changed one iota since Jan. 6 [2021]."

And now Brooks has dropped a new TV ad, running as part of a new $455,000 buy, playing up his participation at the Jan. 6 rally with Trump before protesters stormed the U.S. Capitol.

“On Jan. 6, I proudly stood with President Trump in the fight against voter fraud,” Brooks says in the ad.

It’s all turned into another Alabama headache for the former president.

Good.

Back
Top Bottom