• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Age of Electric Cars Is Dawning Ahead of Schedule

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Battery prices are dropping faster than expected. Analysts are moving up projections of when an electric vehicle won’t need government incentives to be cheaper than a gasoline model.

FRANKFURT — An electric Volkswagen ID.3 for the same price as a Golf. A Tesla Model 3 that costs as much as a BMW 3 Series. A Renault Zoe electric subcompact whose monthly lease payment might equal a nice dinner for two in Paris.

As car sales collapsed in Europe because of the pandemic, one category grew rapidly: electric vehicles. One reason is that purchase prices in Europe are coming tantalizingly close to the prices for cars with gasoline or diesel engines.

At the moment this near parity is possible only with government subsidies that, depending on the country, can cut more than $10,000 from the final price. Carmakers are offering deals on electric cars to meet stricter European Union regulations on carbon dioxide emissions. In Germany, an electric Renault Zoe can be leased for 139 euros a month, or $164.

Electric vehicles are not yet as popular in the United States, largely because government incentives are less generous. Battery-powered cars account for about 2 percent of new car sales in America, while in Europe the market share is approaching 5 percent. Including hybrids, the share rises to nearly 9 percent in Europe, according to Matthias Schmidt, an independent analyst in Berlin.
=================================================================
I'd love to own & drive an electric car.

Electric cars were developed at the turn of the 20th century in parallel with gasoline cars. But Rockefeller & Standard Oil made sure gas cars won out.

I expect to. I have been driving a hybrid for a decade.

It astounds me to look around and watch other middle class folks shell out such stupendous sums for fuel, even with cheap gas!

I expect to. I have been driving a hybrid for a decade.

It astounds me to look around and watch other middle class folks shell out such stupendous sums for fuel, even with cheap gas!
They are still creating greenhouse gases at the electric generating stations that charge your batteries. So there is no free lunch in owning an electric or hybrid car.

They are still creating greenhouse gases at the electric generating stations that charge your batteries. So there is no free lunch in owning an electric or hybrid car.

Running an electric car, even from coal, uses one third as much fuel to make the electricity as even the most efficient internal combustion engine can.

Battery prices are dropping faster than expected. Analysts are moving up projections of when an electric vehicle won’t need government incentives to be cheaper than a gasoline model.

FRANKFURT — An electric Volkswagen ID.3 for the same price as a Golf. A Tesla Model 3 that costs as much as a BMW 3 Series. A Renault Zoe electric subcompact whose monthly lease payment might equal a nice dinner for two in Paris.

As car sales collapsed in Europe because of the pandemic, one category grew rapidly: electric vehicles. One reason is that purchase prices in Europe are coming tantalizingly close to the prices for cars with gasoline or diesel engines.

At the moment this near parity is possible only with government subsidies that, depending on the country, can cut more than $10,000 from the final price. Carmakers are offering deals on electric cars to meet stricter European Union regulations on carbon dioxide emissions. In Germany, an electric Renault Zoe can be leased for 139 euros a month, or $164.

Electric vehicles are not yet as popular in the United States, largely because government incentives are less generous. Battery-powered cars account for about 2 percent of new car sales in America, while in Europe the market share is approaching 5 percent. Including hybrids, the share rises to nearly 9 percent in Europe, according to Matthias Schmidt, an independent analyst in Berlin.

Electric cars were developed at the turn of the 20th century in parallel with gasoline cars. But Rockefeller & Standard Oil made sure gas cars won out.
LOL, we had rolling blackouts in California - massed of EVs ain't going to improve that. Oh, and mining up the rare earths needed to make those vehicles scars up the environment as will millions of miles of powerlines needed to charge gazillion cars.

Actually the global sales is only 2.2 percent. We have a lot of incentives here, I was able to get a brand new $35,000 one down to $17,500 with the incentives. Add to that, 2 years of free charging at super chargers and I have a home charger so the Electric Company gives me a very low rate on my whole house bill, even if I am not using the home charger. (which I do on very rare occasions)

BTY: The very first cars in America were electric, it's like "back to the future".

Get a horse!

Back
Top Bottom