• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The aftermath of Trump's acquittal in his second impeachment trial

Sandy Shanks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Republican Party has given a free pass to future Presidents for anything they might do in the closing days of their term of office. A former President incited an insurrection against our government during the closing days of his term of office. It doesn't get worse than that.

The Republican Party acquitted the former President!

ABC News reported, "Exactly a month and a week after insurrectionists incited a riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6, former President Donald Trump's second impeachment trial came to a climactic end on Saturday afternoon, with Trump being acquitted for his alleged role of inciting the deadly event. A majority of senators voted to convict the former president, but failed to reach the super majority threshold needed for a conviction."

To provide an example of the perfidy of the Republican Party one need only look at the Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. Despite the opinions of nearly all Constitution experts Constitution lawyers to the contrary, McConnell said "he voted "not guilty" because he believes Trump is "constitutionally not eligible for conviction" given that he is no longer president," according to NBC News.

In addition, a Senate resolution established the Senate's jurisdiction in the impeachment trial. McConnell and most Republicans violated a Senate resolution. McConnell said nothing about the evidence. He couldn't. The evidence was overwhelming.

The American people have already spoken, but the Republican Party is not paying attention. Under their leadership, the Republican Party has lost the House, Senate, and the White House in just the last four years.

Now this. A Republican President committed an act of sedition, and the Republican Party freed him from consequences. With the precedence set, all future Presidents are free of responsibility for any action they might take in the closing days of their term.

It is easy to surmise this might be opening act of the decline of American democracy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within. Abraham Lincoln

The American people will remember this day. The Republican Party lost with this feckless decision.

Before January 6th, the phrase "party over country" was nothing more or less than point-scoring debate rhetoric.

It took Trump supporters to show us what it really meant.

They value Donald Trump over democracy.

@Sandy Shanks:

The Republican Party has given a free pass to future Presidents for anything they might do in the closing days of their term of office. A former President incited an insurrection against our government during the closing days of his term of office. It doesn't get worse than that.

See the bolded above. That's the problem. Now it can get much worse than that. The impeachment and trial mechanism of the constitution has been hamstrung once again. The bastards have sacrificed the very best of America (it's constitution) to protect its very worst (oligarchy, political parties and a lawless president).

Americans are no longer citizens but are now subjects in a post-law, post-truth, post-accountability society where the senate has declared the former president to be above the law of the constitution.

Sigh, be well.
Evilroddy.

To provide an example of the perfidy of the Republican Party one need only look at the Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. Despite the opinions of nearly all Constitution experts Constitution lawyers to the contrary, McConnell said "he voted "not guilty" because he believes Trump is "constitutionally not eligible for conviction" given that he is no longer president," according to NBC News.

The Republican Party wants it both ways.

NBC News reports, "Moments after voting to acquit Donald Trump, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell gave a speech excoriating the former president for a "disgraceful dereliction of duty" and said he holds him responsible for "provoking" the Jan. 6 siege of the Capitol.

"McConnell was among the 43 Republicans who voted that Trump was "not guilty" on the charge of incitement of insurrection."

"There's no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day. No question about it," the Kentucky Republican said Saturday. "The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their president."

"And having that belief was a foreseeable consequence of the growing crescendo of false statements, conspiracy theories and reckless hyperbole which the defeated president kept shouting into the largest megaphone on planet earth," he continued.

It's too late. The damage has been done.

How many times in the last four years have Republicans tried to un-ring a bell?

Aftermath: the record books.

As we knew. Yes?

The aftermath is that angry leftists will have to find a new focus for their eternal hatred.

Trump supporters have done more damage to America than ISIS ever could.

A former President incited an insurrection against our government during the closing days of his term of office.
Unfortunately for you, this is something that you've yet to actually prove.

More than a few buried servicemen would have to disagree with you on that.

A disbelief spread about the entire democracy system and calls of mass and false election fraud from your fellow trump supporters would have to disagree with you on that. Your fellow Trump supporters have done more damage to this country than ISIS ever could.

What possible reason to hold a rally at that place at that time.

The last chance to "stop the steal". Which was a lie cynically told them for months in their media. Nothing more. The last chance to save their country. Pure patriotism.

In the name of a god damned lie.

A disbelief spread about the entire democracy system and calls of mass and false election fraud from your fellow trump supporters would have to disagree with you on that. Your fellow Trump supporters have done more damage to this country than ISIS ever could.
I think you need to tone back the lies. Because this is making you seem rather childish and overly emotional.

There was no disbelief spread by anyone other then information about issues that were plaguing the election system and problems that came to light with the increase of mail in voting.
You can ignore the issues all you like and angrily stomp your feet in this impotent rage of yours. But it doesn't change the fact that there were plenty of problems that were present during the election and it pissed off a lot of people to see them just swept under the rug, all so the election could be pushed along.

What possible reason to hold a rally at that place at that time.

The last chance to "stop the steal". Which was a lie cynically told them for months in their media. Nothing more. The last chance to save their country. Pure patriotism.

In the name of a god damned lie.
Once again, rallies are nothing new and this moves in no measure to support the previous claim.

Exactly. The impact of ISIS on this country was nothing compared to what they pulled. And almost as bad, their support and defense for Trump continue.

They've willingly demasculinized themselves for a person who thinks they're human garbage.

Once again, rallies are nothing new and this moves in no measure to support the previous claim.
But why there and then? That was normally just a ceremony. Nobody even covers it. Cspan, a few seconds on national TV.

The only reason for that rally was the last chance to "stop the steal" that never happened in the first place.

The Republican Party acquitted the former President!

Some are wondering why impeach a former President? What is the point?

There is the disgrace of being the only President in American history to be convicted in an impeachment trial. It is a legacy said President will take to his grave.

With a resolution that can be passed by a simple majority in the Senate, said President is barred forever running for office again. In this case, Trump's dream of running for President in 2024 goes away.

There are probably an assortment of other ramifications of being impeached. We just don't know what they are. We've never had an impeached President. Trump would have been the first.

Impeached or not, a President who led an insurrection attempt against his own government most likely would be tried in federal court for sedition. There is every likelihood that is in Trump's future.

Impeached or not, a President who led an insurrection attempt against his own government most likely would be tried in federal court for sedition. There is every likelihood that is in Trump's future.

There is no doubt in my mind that the DOJ is looking into this matter.

And the butthurt Trump haters just can't let go.

Do I believe you, or do I believe the Republican House Minority Leader? “The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding,” Rep. Kevin McCarthy. House Minority Leader McCarthy blames Trump for riot but opposes impeachment

Do I believe you, or do I believe the third ranking Republican in the House? "I think that the people in the party are mistaken. They believe that [Black Lives Matter] and Antifa were behind what happened here at the Capitol. That's just simply not the case, it's not true. People have been lied to. The extent to which President Trump, for months leading up to Jan. 6, spread the notion that the election had been stolen or that the election was rigged was a lie, and people need to understand that," Liz Cheney told Fox News Sunday. https://www.npr.org/2021/02/06/964933035/wyoming-gop-censures-liz-cheney-for-voting-to-impeach-trump

Do I believe you, or do I believe the Republican Senate Minority Leader? “There is no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the event of that day," McConnell said. He called that assault a “foreseeable consequence” of Trump using the presidency, calling it “the largest megaphone on Planet Earth.” Rather than calling off the rioters, McConnell accused Trump of “praising the criminals” and seeming determined to overturn the election “or else torch our institutions on the way out.” GOP's McConnell: Trump Morally Responsible for Jan. 6 Attack

Or are you going to label these dedicated conservatives a bunch of RINO's?

Do I believe you, or do I believe the Republican House Minority Leader? “The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding,” Rep. Kevin McCarthy. House Minority Leader McCarthy blames Trump for riot but opposes impeachment

Do I believe you, or do I believe the third ranking Republican in the House? "I think that the people in the party are mistaken. They believe that [Black Lives Matter] and Antifa were behind what happened here at the Capitol. That's just simply not the case, it's not true. People have been lied to. The extent to which President Trump, for months leading up to Jan. 6, spread the notion that the election had been stolen or that the election was rigged was a lie, and people need to understand that," Liz Cheney told Fox News Sunday. https://www.npr.org/2021/02/06/964933035/wyoming-gop-censures-liz-cheney-for-voting-to-impeach-trump

Do I believe you, or do I believe the Republican Senate Minority Leader? “There is no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the event of that day," McConnell said. He called that assault a “foreseeable consequence” of Trump using the presidency, calling it “the largest megaphone on Planet Earth.” Rather than calling off the rioters, McConnell accused Trump of “praising the criminals” and seeming determined to overturn the election “or else torch our institutions on the way out.” GOP's McConnell: Trump Morally Responsible for Jan. 6 Attack

You should believe me because I'll tell you the truth. Politicians tell you what they want you to think...and it is rarely the truth.

You should believe me because I'll tell you the truth. Politicians tell you what they want you to think...and it is rarely the truth.

:ROFLMAO:

Reality does not matter to them. Perhaps it never did.

All that's left is trolling.

Always try to remember the proverbial silver lining to T****: He was so bad and obvious that the curtains have been removed.

Republicans are fully exposed.

Most Democrats are exposed.

The key is: We need to hold all of them to a higher standard. We need progressive policies, not just less-T**** policies. We don't want nor need to go back to normal. We're in a new era. We need to shitcan militarism. We need to do so many things differently.

I think you need to tone back the lies. Because this is making you seem rather childish and overly emotional.

There was no disbelief spread by anyone other then information about issues that were plaguing the election system and problems that came to light with the increase of mail in voting.
You can ignore the issues all you like and angrily stomp your feet in this impotent rage of yours. But it doesn't change the fact that there were plenty of problems that were present during the election and it pissed off a lot of people to see them just swept under the rug, all so the election could be pushed along.
And in a country of laws, we have mechanisms to contest the results - the courts. We don't rely on men like Pence to unilaterally determine those things, but our legal system. Trump tried that and lost 64 straight times. He swore an oath to protect that system, uphold the law, and he trashed it when it didn't suit him.

And to the MAGAs, that's all just fine. That's the problem. Not that Trump tried - we all knew he would - but that the GOP is officially on record - to hell with the law, if you can get your VP to toss enough states to throw the election in the trash, do it, and let Congress decide! Who cares about elections? Not the GOP.

Back
Top Bottom