• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The $50 movie ticket is here!

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Odeon Luxe Leicester Square London.......... just opened after being closed for a year for refurbishment, top of the line picture and sound, supposed to have good food and drinks no doubt expensive.....you get a recliner and a little swivel table.

Too Much?

Note: It sounds like every seat for every show is with on demand pricing, which I hate...40 Pounds is the top price.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/movie-ticket-prices-around-the-world-1203094187/

Review: Odeon Luxe Leicester Square - Inside CI

Okay....

I probably don't need to worry too much about that.

In London I:
  1. Do --> Go to Soho to catch a play.
  2. Do --> Go to Covent Garden to party with friends.
  3. Do --> Stay at St. Martins Lane in Leicester Sq.
  4. Do --> Stroll down the block to be entertained at Stringfellows.
  5. Don't go to a movie unless I'm there for a premiere or some other private screening. (I don't get to vote for BAFTA nominees.)

Seeing as I'm retired and "settled" now, however, 1-3 is likely all I'll be doing as I know my lady friend won't much care for #4. LOL

I generally pay five US dollars for a trip to the movies.

~ I find that this argument does not do anything for me.

You're not the target market....

I wouldn't spend $50 on a ticket however if they are offering an experience to go with that it may be worth it. It won't be the kind of place where snotty teenagers will go with their mobile phones or parents taking badly behaved brats who won't shut up during a movie. Or maybe even adults who want to sit and chat instead of watching - that would be a waste of $50 per ticket when lots of dolts go to movies just to spoil the experience for others.

There is a need for cinemas for real movie buffs who want to enjoy a movie experience and the Odeon luxe is offering 4K movies with full Dolby sound systems - might catch on.

Oh boy, date night for teenagers sounds more and more like Netflix and a walk in the public park.

You're not the target market....

I wouldn't spend $50 on a ticket however if they are offering an experience to go with that it may be worth it. It won't be the kind of place where snotty teenagers will go with their mobile phones or parents taking badly behaved brats who won't shut up during a movie. Or maybe even adults who want to sit and chat instead of watching - that would be a waste of $50 per ticket when lots of dolts go to movies just to spoil the experience for others.

There is a need for cinemas for real movie buffs who want to enjoy a movie experience and the Odeon luxe is offering 4K movies with full Dolby sound systems - might catch on.
Well you do have a point there....one of the reasons I adore Yelm Cinemas is that they charge almost full price for kids....thus very few kids turn up there.

But still, anymore expecting people to be willing to pay for quality is a dicey proposition.

Expecting people to appreciate quality is a dicey proposition.

~ Expecting people to appreciate quality is a dicey proposition.

Not everyone does but enough do to make some exclusive experiences and purchases worth providing.

Odeon Luxe Leicester Square London.......... just opened after being closed for a year for refurbishment, top of the line picture and sound, supposed to have good food and drinks no doubt expensive.....you get a recliner and a little swivel table.

Too Much?

Note: It sounds like every seat for every show is with on demand pricing, which I hate...40 Pounds is the top price....

We plebs in middle-class America have to settle for the AMC cinema-plex - which I went to yester day in the late afternoon. It was like a bad Sci-Fi nightmare of a future dyspotia. Buried in a multi-story open mall courtyard accessible by open air tiered walkways. A blizzard of multi-colored neon signs and symbols suspended from every wall, overhead, and window, a din of echoing voices in a jam packed isles, incomprehensible directions, and lots of bumping, dodging, and the like to get to the ticket office (after negotiating a multi-level parking garage without any spaces and bumper to bumper crawling).

And of course one has to ride escalators to the top of the plex to find the main movie entrance, only to discover that the ticket office is on the floor below. Once the ticket office is located, the lines are endless and so one might choose the automated ticket machines where the lines are shorter - only to discover two of the three machines don't work. And the one that does work has inscrutable instructions, non-responsive touch screens, and various loops and drop-outs. Then if you do manage to find what you wanted, it says "sold out", and if its not sold out you get a seating chart that shows only row A, far left side has two seats...good luck picking them though as the touch screen doesn't seem to recognize anything less than the hefty swing of a ball peen hammer on the icon.

Once inside you find the huge snack food counter to discover the one thing you wanted not cooked (hot dogs), no cardboard trays to carry your bag of stale popcorn (not buttered, that's at the butter station), and a cup (you have to locate a drink dispensing machine elsewhere and serve yourself ). If you then forget to look at your ticket, thinking what is playing in each theater will be posted prominently- nope, it ain't...its all numbered, so you best always have your ticket out (while carrying your various food items) to check each theater number...that is, if you don't find your self in the wrong wing on the OPPOSITE side of the building.

Once in and seated, its packed. Not a single seat left. The movie was boring (Vice) propoganda, the a/c marginal, and you cursed yourself for not just staying home. Between ticket, snacks, parking fees, and misc you've wasted 5 hours and 50 bucks.

My friend and I swore never again.

We plebs in middle-class America have to settle for the AMC cinema-plex - which I went to yester day in the late afternoon. It was like a bad Sci-Fi nightmare of a future dyspotia. Buried in a multi-story open mall courtyard accessible by open air tiered walkways. A blizzard of multi-colored neon signs and symbols suspended from every wall, overhead, and window, a din of echoing voices in a jam packed isles, incomprehensible directions, and lots of bumping, dodging, and the like to get to the ticket office (after negotiating a multi-level parking garage without any spaces and bumper to bumper crawling).

And of course one has to ride escalators to the top of the plex to find the main movie entrance, only to discover that the ticket office is on the floor below. Once the ticket office is located, the lines are endless and so one might choose the automated ticket machines where the lines are shorter - only to discover two of the three machines don't work. And the one that does work has inscrutable instructions, non-responsive touch screens, and various loops and drop-outs. Then if you do manage to find what you wanted, it says "sold out", and if its not sold out you get a seating chart that shows only row A, far left side has two seats...good luck picking them though as the touch screen doesn't seem to recognize anything less than the hefty swing of a ball peen hammer on the icon.

Once inside you find the huge snack food counter to discover the one thing you wanted not cooked (hot dogs), no cardboard trays to carry your bag of stale popcorn (not buttered, that's at the butter station), and a cup (you have to locate a drink dispensing machine elsewhere and serve yourself ). If you then forget to look at your ticket, thinking what is playing in each theater will be posted prominently- nope, it ain't...its all numbered, so you best always have your ticket out (while carrying your various food items) to check each theater number...that is, if you don't find your self in the wrong wing on the OPPOSITE side of the building.

Once in and seated, its packed. Not a single seat left. The movie was boring (Vice) propoganda, the a/c marginal, and you cursed yourself for not just staying home. Between ticket, snacks, parking fees, and misc you've wasted 5 hours and 50 bucks.

My friend and I swore never again.

I feel you....I spent near $10 a seat today at the Regal Mega-Plex which in recent years has been hot in the summer and cold in the winter because they dont want to spend money watching what turned out to be a surprisingly poor quality mostly fiction film (Mary, Queen of Scots), where the $7 bucket of popcorn was of abysmal quality.

I am not however spending $50 for the seat only no matter how good the picture and the sound is unless it comes included with a blow job.

Back
Top Bottom