• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 4th of July weekend

YoungConserv

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I have no doubt that many of you took time to enjoy the long weekend traveling, grilling and drinking. Also have no doubt that some of you where stopped at DUI checkpoints as well. While I have never encountered one of these I do find their existence disturbing. Now after seeing a video account of one such stop this weekend I find them even more terifying them before. Watch the video and let me know what you think. I don't know about his legal facts that flash up so take then with a grain of salt.

Kid is a dumbass and was seemingly trying to get involved in something. The kid made it seem like he was attempting to hide something from the cop because he wouldn't just roll down his window. I've been through multiple checkpoints. You hand them your ID, you answer two questions, and you go on.

Funny this came up. One of the people I was drinking coffee saturday AM is a police officer in a large city. I learned a few intersting things about these stops. Legally they have to post notice (big sign) with at least one place to turn off before the stop point. The law does not say they cannot pull over people who turn off to avoid the stop point, so they stop and check everyone that turns off far more thoughly than at the stop point. They keep this in mind when they set up. The police officers themselves do not know where the check point will be until they are at the station ready to head out. They are olny allowed to stop 3 cars at a time, so they might just take a look and wave you on. There were several more things but I cant think of them right now.
Kid is a dumbass and was seemingly trying to get involved in something. The kid made it seem like he was attempting to hide something from the cop because he wouldn't just roll down his window. I've been through multiple checkpoints. You hand them your ID, you answer two questions, and you go on.

The kid had a camera set up so he was looking to start trouble. License, registration, proof of insurance, not be drunk, and don't have a pound of pot sitting on your seat and you will go through these things easy peasy.

So just give up your rights roll over and show them your belly?

The kid had a camera set up so he was looking to start trouble. License, registration, proof of insurance, not be drunk, and don't have a pound of pot sitting on your seat and you will go through these things easy peasy.

But they have no probable cause?

Most of the times I've been through I didn't even need insurance. Like these checkpoints aren't hard.

Probably cause for what exactly? And don't respond "Any of it" because you are wrong.

The police need probable cause to stop , question you and search you.

So just give up your rights roll over and show them your belly?

No, you show them your ID and answer two questions, not have a camera set up and act suspicious when asked to roll down your window. The kid did a real good job acting like he had something to hide.

Most of the times I've been through I didn't even need insurance. Like these checkpoints aren't hard.

Yeah we are not a have to have the insurance on you state, but some are so I always have it since I get about a billion proof cards from my insurer for some reason.

Because everyone rides around with a covert camera in their passenger seat. Not like he wasn't hoping for this.

The police need probable cause to stop , question you and search you.

Then you should read search and seizure law. In my state he would have been charged with failing to comply with the direction of a police officer. He was on a public road, not private property.

But they have no probable cause?
The Supreme Court held that Michigan had a "substantial government interest" to advance in stopping drunk driving, and that this technique was rationally related to achieving that goal (though there was some evidence to the contrary). The Court also held that the impact on drivers, such as in delaying them from reaching their destination, was negligible, and that the brief questioning to gain "reasonable suspicion" similarly had a negligible impact on the drivers' Fourth Amendment right from unreasonable search (implying that any more detailed or invasive searches would be treated differently). Applying a balancing test, then, the Court found that the Constitutionality of the search tilted in favor of the government.
Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with Soccer, the kid was looking to start trouble. There is no harm in rolling your window down. Do that, and the encounter ends right there, if a driver isn't drinking. His actions were suspicious and he gave them an excuse for pulling him off the road.

No, you show them your ID and answer two questions, not have a camera set up and act suspicious when asked to roll down your window. The kid did a real good job acting like he had something to hide.

They had no probable cause to stop him in the first place.

Agreeing with a Pats fan must make you cry a little.

The sting is less so during the off-season, truth be told. In season...:mrgreen:

You both need to go change your "Lean" to the Dictatorial Police State option immediately.

Of course the kid was "looking to get into something" and "starting trouble".

As any citizen who knows his or her rights should do when faced with a government overstepping its bounds.

Because everyone rides around with a covert camera in their passenger seat. Not like he wasn't hoping for this.

Add yourself to the list.

Mr. Very (Big Government) Conservative.

You both need to go change your "Lean" to the Dictatorial Police State option immediately.

Phew, that's a good laugh. Thanks for trying to improve my Monday.

Oh... Guys, I think he was serious.

Add yourself to the list.

Mr. Very (Big Government) Conservative.

LOL. Thanks for looking at the "Lean" and not getting past it. You're probably in favor of more government than I am, truth be told.

As any citizen who knows his or her rights should do when faced with a government overstepping its bounds.

Sure internet hero I will do that. No citizens "knows" their rights unless they also know what the government's authority is, which clearly you do not.

I know my rights. I also know Michigan Police Department v. Sitz, so I know that DUI checkpoints are constitutional.

Back
Top Bottom