• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 35 most astounding lines from Donald Trump's Jeanine Pirro interview

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/politics/donald-trump-jeanine-pirro/index.html

In CNN speak, "astounding" here means false. First claim about a Trump statement:

1. "So, we have a humanitarian crisis, to put it mildly. People are trying to get in by the tens of thousands."

Trump -- and his administration -- have repeatedly tried to amp up the idea of thousands of people (including criminals) streaming over the border.

Tens of thousands of people "trying to get in" is what Trump said. So how many people are trying to get in on a monthly basis through the southern border?

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration

In November, 51,856 people were apprehended between ports of entry on the Southwest Border, compared with 51,001 in the month of October. In FY18, a total of 396,579 individuals were apprehended between ports of entry on our Southwest Border.

Average last year is 33,000 border jumpers a month, with a late year uptick. No crisis, just 396,000 border jumpers in a year. Thanks CNN for being so truthful about Trump's claim that "tens of thousands" are trying to jump the border. I knew I should have voted Hillary!

Where would I be without the truth of CNN? Where would we all be?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/politics/donald-trump-jeanine-pirro/index.html

In CNN speak, "astounding" here means false. First claim about a Trump statement:

1. "So, we have a humanitarian crisis, to put it mildly. People are trying to get in by the tens of thousands."

Trump -- and his administration -- have repeatedly tried to amp up the idea of thousands of people (including criminals) streaming over the border.

Tens of thousands of people "trying to get in" is what Trump said. So how many people are trying to get in on a monthly basis through the southern border?

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration

In November, 51,856 people were apprehended between ports of entry on the Southwest Border, compared with 51,001 in the month of October. In FY18, a total of 396,579 individuals were apprehended between ports of entry on our Southwest Border.

Average last year is 33,000 border jumpers a month, with a late year uptick. No crisis, just 396,000 border jumpers in a year. Thanks CNN for being so truthful about Trump's claim that "tens of thousands" are trying to jump the border. I knew I should have voted Hillary!

As you properly point out sarcastically, a review of that whole list of CNN responses was a pack of deflections and misrepresentations designed for the sole purpose of undermining Trump's speech. A couple of examples:

1. They admit there is a new caravan forming in Honduras, but try to counter this by simply stating "many people have no intention of making it to the USA," referring to another CNN story about the prior caravan. Yet "many people DO intend to make it to the USA, as evidenced by that last caravan's arrival and activities in Tijuana Mexico and their attempts to rush the walls.

Five days after an initial group of 77 caravan members arrived in Tijuana, the total by Friday had reached 2,679, according Mexico’s National Migration Institute. A smaller number, 657, remained in Mexicali, the state capital. More than 3,000 others were in the states of Sonora and Sinaloa, and presumably headed to Baja California, an immigration official said.
https://www.courier-tribune.com/news/20181117/tijuana-strained-by-migrant-caravan

2. Then there is the reference to "no past President's said we needed to build a wall" in response to Trump's comment about border security, and yet they certainly had no objections to "some" barriers:

“The bill before us will certainly do some good,” Obama said on the Senate floor in October 2006. He praised the legislation, saying it would provide “better fences and better security along our borders” and would “help stem some of the tide of illegal immigration in this country.” Obama was talking about the Secure Fence Act of 2006, legislation authorizing a barrier along the southern border passed into law with the support of 26 Democratic senators including party leaders like Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and Chuck Schumer.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/po...ts-embraced/QE7ieCBXjXVxO63pLMTe9O/story.html

I can commit to you that I will support additional fencing only where it can help discourage illegal entry and dangerous crossing over desert terrain.
https://www.scribd.com/document/331074836/Immigration-Promises-DRAFT#from_embed

Obama says the border fence is 'now basically complete'
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...ama-says-border-fence-now-basically-complete/

Bill Clinton signed off on several border control "Operations," Operation's Safeguard (for Arizona) and Hold the Line (Texas) in 1993 which authorized the building of "fencing" along the border in those two States. In 1994 he signed off on Operation Gatekeeper which did the same for California.

As for the rest of the CNN piece? Several "responses" are merely mocking Trump's "work ethic," which have nothing to do with his immigration points, or snide innuendo as in interpretation of Trump's response to Jeanine Pierro's ("are you a Russian spy?") not being definitive...as if "That's the most insulting question" response was not "definitive enough." Trump later stated a clear NO during his contact with reporters outside the White House.

CNN is not a source for real "news," as IMO among all the purveyors of propaganda calling themselves news reporting sources it is the #1 source for much of the "fake news" Trump has been talking about.

Last edited:

Fail. Trump didn't mention ports of entry. He mentioned tough vehicles that just drive through...Where I would be without Donalds many lies. Oh right less grey hairs...

Oh good. So we don't need the fence then!!! :lamo

So Obama can make a case that the vehicle barriers and single-layer pedestrian fences meet the amended letter of the law. But we also think Obama misleads, particularly when he mocks Republican opponents, saying that even though the fence has been built, "They'll want a higher fence. Maybe they’ll need a moat. Maybe they want alligators in the moat." The Border Patrol has not gone "above and beyond" what Republicans requested, as Obama claimed. What they originally requested was a double-layer fence, and they didn't get much of it. And so we rate Obama's statement Barely True. Editor's note: This statement was rated Barely True when it was published. On July 27, 2011, we changed the name for the rating to Mostly False.

So while Obama originally supported more fencing, it appeared that he was not telling the truth (at least according to Politifact) about completing the mission back in 2011. Can we add this to Obama's list of lies?

The point is that past President's did argue for more barriers along the border, both for security purposes at major entry points, and also at "dangerous" places where migrants were trying to go around...if for nothing else then to protect them from foolishly killing or injuring themselves that way.

Where do you think that 700 miles we already have came from?

Last edited:
So while Obama originally supported more fencing, it appeared that he was not telling the truth (at least according to Politifact) about completing the mission back in 2011. Can we add this to Obama's list of lies?

The point is that Past President's did argue for more barriers along the border, both at major entry points and at "dangerous" places where migrants were trying to go around...if for nothing else then to protect them from foolishly killing or injuring themselves that way.

So Obama argued for a fake fence too???? :shock: It's almost like the wall has been used as an immigration con for decades and now Trump will kill it b/c after he fails to build the wall, no one in their right minds will touch that slogan ever again.

I predict 10 years from now the border will look relatively the same as it does today and $5 Billion (if he gets it) will do jack ****!

As you properly point out sarcastically, a review of that whole list of CNN responses was a pack of deflections and misrepresentations designed for the sole purpose of undermining Trump's speech. A couple of examples:

1. They admit there is a new caravan forming in Honduras, but try to counter this by simply stating "many people have no intention of making it to the USA," referring to another CNN story about the prior caravan. Yet "many people DO intend to make it to the USA, as evidenced by that last caravan's arrival and activities in Tijuana Mexico and their attempts to rush the walls.

https://www.courier-tribune.com/news/20181117/tijuana-strained-by-migrant-caravan

2. Then there is the reference to "no past President's said we needed to build a wall" in response to Trump's comment about border security, and yet they certainly had no objections to "some" barriers:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/po...ts-embraced/QE7ieCBXjXVxO63pLMTe9O/story.html

https://www.scribd.com/document/331074836/Immigration-Promises-DRAFT#from_embed

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...ama-says-border-fence-now-basically-complete/

Bill Clinton signed off on several border control "Operations," Operation's Safeguard (for Arizona) and Hold the Line (Texas) in 1993 which authorized the building of "fencing" along the border in those two States. In 1994 he signed off on Operation Gatekeeper which did the same for California.

As for the rest of the CNN piece? Several "responses" are merely mocking Trump's "work ethic," which have nothing to do with his immigration points, or snide innuendo as in interpretation of Trump's response to Jeanine Pierro's ("are you a Russian spy?") not being definitive...as if "That's the most insulting question" response was not "definitive enough." Trump later stated a clear NO during his contact with reporters outside the White House.

CNN is not a source for real "news," as IMO among all the purveyors of propaganda calling themselves news reporting sources it is the #1 source for much of the "fake news" Trump has been talking about.

CNN has two issues with their anti-Trump agenda. The first is that they have yet to declare themselves a propaganda source for a particular political party. MSNBC has done this with their "lean forward" campaign. The second is the lies to get their propaganda across.

If Trump is so bad and Hillary was so obviously good, why do I need false propaganda to convince me that Trump was a mistake and I should have voted Hillary? That's an uneasy feeling as I absorb all this anti-Trump material.

Fail. Trump didn't mention ports of entry. He mentioned tough vehicles that just drive through...Where I would be without Donalds many lies. Oh right less grey hairs...

396,000 people in 2018 got caught jumping the border with Mexico - roughly 1,084 people per day. Trump proposes that this amount of border jumpers represents a crisis. "Tens of thousands" of people jumping the southern border is a valid description from Trump. It happens every month, and the 10,000 border jumpers mark is eclipsed in a little over every 9 days.

What is the narrative of the media? Are they trying to tell us that there are only a handful of border jumpers, say 1 a day, that aren't worth building a wall for? Does the media concur that there are 10,000 border jumpers every 9 days, but this doesn't represent crisis levels? If so, what level of border jumping would be a crisis?

We had a humanitarian crisis, so we separated children from families, often permanently orphaning them in the process, until the courts dragged us away kicking and screaming. We even snuck back to do it some more behind the courts' backs. That's how we respond to humanitarian crises: we make them BIGGER! That way, we scare the crises into not happening. Or something. Very humane.

Back
Top Bottom