• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 2nd Amendment applies to all weapons.

Coyuga

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
To put very simply, the wording of the 2nd Amendment applies to all forms of weaponry, based on the language of the 2nd Amendment.

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

The 2nd Amendment here very clearly says 'Arms,' which means weaponry. Not FIREarms, which refers to guns.

To put very simply, the wording of the 2nd Amendment applies to all forms of weaponry, based on the language of the 2nd Amendment.

The 2nd Amendment here very clearly says 'Arms,' which means weaponry. Not FIREarms, which refers to guns.

Would weaponized smallpox virus count as "arms" ?

No, and neither would extremely powerful bombs IE Nukes. These are weapons that harm innocent people and make an area uninhabitable for many years. They have permanent, long term and far range effect.

No, and neither would extremely powerful bombs IE Nukes. These are weapons that harm innocent people and make an area uninhabitable for many years. They have permanent, long term and far range effect.

You just contradicted yourself. "ALL weapons".

A virus is a living organism, it is not protected by the second amendment. Nuclear fallout is a toxic material, not a weapon.

Okay. So now what? What is poignant truth or observation, the trenchant inference, you'd have us obtain from your pointing out the obvious? Surely you've not shared the above because you think folks don't know what the word "arms" means.

Experience has shown, and a true philosophy will always show, that a vast, perhaps the larger, portion of truth arises from the seemingly irrelevant.
-- Edgar Allan Poe, The Mystery of Marie Rogêt

It was mostly to spark a debate with people who believe it only applies to guns. Also the leftist weirdos that think it only applies to muskets or should be repealed.

Great!

Think I'll buy me a tank.

Neighbors dog barks at night, instead of shooting my gun to say, "shut up" I'll blow up the neighbors house.

I am a proud "red hat."

Reason be damned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great!

Think I'll buy me a tank.

Neighbors dog barks at night, instead of shooting my gun to say, "shut up" I'll blow up the neighbors house.

I am a proud "red hat."

Reason be damned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's destruction of property. And yes, you would be able to buy a tank. Why shouldn't you be able too?

To bear means to carry, just clearing up that point.

The 2A was written to protect the militia, and later SCOTUS decisions held that militia weapons are the arms protected.

ICBMs and such are not militia weapons and thus are not protected.

Carry, or in this instance, ride in. I don't know anyone who can pick up a tank.

The 2A was written to protect the militia, and later SCOTUS decisions held that militia weapons are the arms protected.

ICBMs and such are not militia weapons and thus are not protected.

What ruling was this?

Carry, or in this instance, ride in. I don't know anyone who can pick up a tank.
Tanks are just tracked vehicles with a weight class, like a bulldozer, and are perfectly legal. It's the cannon that'll give you legal problems.

What ruling was this?
McDonald, Heller, and others.

I think they even called them "firelocks" back then, but not sure.

I do know and have read legal notices from the 1820's saying your knife was a sidearm.

The correct answer is yes. Literally anything that can be used in an offensive or defensive manner is considered "arms". This includes pointy sticks and diseases.

To bear means to carry, just clearing up that point.

The phase is to "keep and bear", in this case bear is a synonym for the word use.

A virus is a living organism, it is not protected by the second amendment. Nuclear fallout is a toxic material, not a weapon.

Lead is pretty toxic. And radioactive fallout is indeed a big component of nuclear weapons. So....how much more did you want to move your goalposts?

So now you've decided that 'bear' also means 'to ride in?' :doh

In the time of the Founding Fathers, were horses and carts 'arms?'

So now you've decided that 'bear' also means 'to ride in?'

It's a vehicle with a weapon attached to it is it not?

Lead is pretty toxic. And radioactive fallout is indeed a big component of nuclear weapons. So....how much more did you want to move your goalposts?

Lead in of itself is not a weapon. And radioactive fallout is an aftereffect of a nuclear blast, not a part of the bomb itself. However given the impossiblity of creating a nuclear weapon that doesn't create follout, it would be banned as it's a serious threat to the surrounding population.

The way I see it, the second amendment should apply to all objects which are required to enforce the law. That is, the second amendment should be interpreted as specifically protecting whichever objects are the means of enforcing the law, not as specifically protecting any particular objects.

Back when the constitution was written, there was no standard police force as we now know it. Every town had a sheriff, and the sheriff organized the town folk to enforce the law when necessary. If the town folk had no right to the means of enforcing the law, then the law could not be enforced. If the laws of a polity cannot be enforced, then that polity is insecure. Therefore, the second amendment exists to assure that civilians have access to the means of enforcing the law.

Lead in of itself is not a weapon. And radioactive fallout is an aftereffect of a nuclear blast, not a part of the bomb itself. However given the impossiblity of creating a nuclear weapon that doesn't create follout, it would be banned as it's a serious threat to the surrounding population.

They are components of the weapons that can kill. Stop splitting hairs to 'look right on the Internet'.

Back
Top Bottom