• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The 2016 Election Cycle: Why It's So Different

JonDeutsch

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It's easy to get caught up in the personalities and the horse race of every election cycle. In fact, that's what most of our "news' covers these days. Behind the glossy, made-for-TV sound bites and squabbles that drive the Daily Drama of our Lives, there are interesting forces at work in this year's election that I believe make it special and unique.

Specifically, the phenomenons of Trump and Sanders point to an "undercurrent of the underwhelmed" that transcends traditional party lines, and points to a real gap in design of our two-party political system. Can two parties really cover all the bases? In other democracies, there are far more mainstream parties than just two!

Economics are likely the reason why we've distilled our system into only two, but now that economics are precarious for an increasing number of people in our country, one has to wonder if we're going to see more political parties in the future.

To this end, here's my assessment of the 2016 race from a platform perspective, and why math helps us identify what's missing in our party system today:

Between the Columns: The 2016 election: Why it's so different

Enjoy!
Cheers,
Jon

:yawn:

Read My Blog!

@CPWILL: Shall I presume you are mocking my post as a transparent attempt to get people to read my blog?

I joined here because I felt that the people here would actually enjoy reading my posts on politics on my blog... But as you can see, I also ensure that my entries on this forum include enough content & context to stand alone without forcing anyone to go to the link. The thinking is that this would be a valuable starting point for discussion & debate on this forum. If people don't find this valuable, then I guess I'll get kicked off or be asked to leave. Ultimately, it's up to the community to determine if they find it valuable or not. I'm just offering my content.

Cheers,
Jon

Back
Top Bottom