• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 20 something generation is kind of gross

Not sure what to make of this... Sure maybe part of it is genes and a slowing metabolism as I get older. With regular exercise, that leaves food as the main culpret, however, does it not?

as you get older? wth? if your metabolism is slowing down now, you're gonna be in BIG trouble later.

That's because you're drinking your calories at UMaine. ;)
Haha I don't drink at all. I don't even really have an interest in drinking so once I hit 21 it will probably being sparingly even then :p

I thought conservatives and libertarians were all about personal responsibility :roll:
Oh slam!!! I think I'm pretty responsible. I exercise regularly (biking 15+ miles), work outside in a garden daily and also as a photographer.

as you get older? wth? if your metabolism is slowing down now, you're gonna be in BIG trouble later.
Haha, the fact is, my metabolism is definitely slower than when I was in High School as a 3 sport varsity athlete. I used to be able to eat 2 big macs, a large fry, 2 apple pies and a large soda from McDonalds. I weighed 155 all through high school. I certainly eat a helluva lot healthier and less now (don't have near that appetite anymore) and still remain active, yet I'm about 15 lbs over weight. We'll see what appartment food brings this year, maybe I'll be able to lose it.

:p

Oh slam!!! I think I'm pretty responsible. I exercise regularly (biking 15+ miles), work outside in a garden daily and also as a photographer.

Reality doesn't matter. If a person has something bad in their life, its their fault. At least thats the message the conservatives keep preaching.

Reality doesn't matter. If a person has something bad in their life, its their fault. At least thats the message the conservatives keep preaching.

I don't really feel I fall strictly within the lines of conservative. I believe in gay marriage and abortion (only in rape or risk to mother which is still more than many conservatives). I realize that some people really do need a leg up while also understanding the system is too easily abused and supports laziness rather than helping people become self-suficient; I believe in global warming (but also believe we can't just instantly switch to 'green energy', stop drilling and enforce strict regulations in a ****ty economy).

I don't really feel I fall strictly within the lines of conservative. I believe in gay marriage and abortion (only in rape or risk to mother which is still more than many conservatives). I realize that some people really do need a leg up while also understanding the system is too easily abused and supports laziness rather than helping people become self-suficient; I believe in global warming (but also believe we can't just instantly switch to 'green energy', stop drilling and enforce strict regulations in a ****ty economy).

Sorry, it just made me angry. I get sick and tired of people going "poor people are poor because they sucky, immoral, and lazy" and never attribute things that happen in life to it. Than someone goes along blaming some external cause for something else in their life that they dislike. Either people are the cause of their failures or there are other factors involved. I just get frustrated about the denial of reality that most people have about it.

Sorry if I unfairly targetted you.

Haha I don't drink at all. I don't even really have an interest in drinking so once I hit 21 it will probably being sparingly even then :p

Haha, the fact is, my metabolism is definitely slower than when I was in High School as a 3 sport varsity athlete. I used to be able to eat 2 big macs, a large fry, 2 apple pies and a large soda from McDonalds. I weighed 155 all through high school. I certainly eat a helluva lot healthier and less now (don't have near that appetite anymore) and still remain active, yet I'm about 15 lbs over weight. We'll see what appartment food brings this year, maybe I'll be able to lose it.

:p

good luck with that. ;-)

As far as if I'm checking anyone out, I'll do what I please. I can still manage to turn a few college guys' heads at the beach, so I'd say I'm doing OK. But this generation doesn't offer much to look at besides gay gays. Those are the only hot guys in this age group.

That's because you're drinking your calories at UMaine. ;)

Yes, if a woman notices blubber on the beach, she must be a sexual stalker. :roll: Hint: I wouldn't break my marriage vows for a lazy, fat guy.

Then why are you complaining?

Then why are you complaining?

Not complaining per se because it doesn't effect me directly. However, it's positively shameful that people would let themselves go at such a young age. Looking good is nice, but it really comes down to a matter of health. If you're soft and doughy when you're 21, you're headed down an unhealthy road toward 30.

As the mother of a boy who will be in that age bracket in 10 years, I have a right to be interested in what it is that has made that generation so lazy. Sure, some people are genetically predisposed to have more fat. That I get. But it really seems to me for as many years as I've been hitting the beach, I have never seen so many young guys with moobs. It used to be that the fat old man hanging around the snack bar was the one with the moobs. Now they're swingin' all over like an outtake from a National Geographic special. My son is very much into video games, and has asked a few times this summer if we could leave the beach early so he could come home and play wii. :shock: I absolutely do not want him going down that inactive road that seems to be plaguing the kids 10 years his senior. Soon enough, it will be out of my hands as his peers become more important. Is inactivity where our kids are headed?

Not complaining per se because it doesn't effect me directly. However, it's positively shameful that people would let themselves go at such a young age. Looking good is nice, but it really comes down to a matter of health. If you're soft and doughy when you're 21, you're headed down an unhealthy road toward 30.

As the mother of a boy who will be in that age bracket in 10 years, I have a right to be interested in what it is that has made that generation so lazy. Sure, some people are genetically predisposed to have more fat. That I get. But it really seems to me for as many years as I've been hitting the beach, I have never seen so many young guys with moobs. It used to be that the fat old man hanging around the snack bar was the one with the moobs. Now they're swingin' all over like an outtake from a National Geographic special. My son is very much into video games, and has asked a few times this summer if we could leave the beach early so he could come home and play wii. :shock: I absolutely do not want him going down that inactive road that seems to be plaguing the kids 10 years his senior. Soon enough, it will be out of my hands as his peers become more important. Is inactivity where our kids are headed?

I am not sure it is entirely laziness. Food is crap these days. I have lost more weight eating homemade food and drinking water than I ever have being active.

I am not sure it is entirely laziness. Food is crap these days. I have lost more weight eating homemade food and drinking water than I ever have being active.

But eating crap is lazy. You said it yourself, eating homemade food is much better for your body (not to mention much more affordable). It's easy to swing by Burger King, lean out the window and order the 800 calorie special. It's not so easy to grocery shop and make a tuna sandwich to bring to work or class.

I was guilty of it and learned you can't treat your body that way and expect to remain healthy. You just can't.

Im overweight too but its my own fault, if they dont want to do anything about it then fine let death take care of them.

Im overweight too but its my own fault, if they dont want to do anything about it then fine let death take care of them.

:shock: Or maybe not ignore it so they don't have to die early. :shrug:

But thier uglyness is affecting the good looking people's enjoyment of the beach, that and the enjoyment of dirty old men who liked to look at hot young women in bikinis

I'm not saying they're ugly. On the contrary. Most of very good looking people. I'm saying they're soft and doughy, and it's something you never used to see en masse with 20 something people. You can whip your body into awesome shape quickly at that age. There's no excuse for widespread muffin tops and man teets.

But eating crap is lazy. You said it yourself, eating homemade food is much better for your body (not to mention much more affordable). It's easy to swing by Burger King, lean out the window and order the 800 calorie special. It's not so easy to grocery shop and make a tuna sandwich to bring to work or class.

I was guilty of it and learned you can't treat your body that way and expect to remain healthy. You just can't.

I didn't start eating right until I realized what I was doing to myself. When I was 20, I was a toothpick. Now I am 30 and I need to shed 60 lbs. Been treadmilling and eating right though. Hopefully it will work. My wife has already noticed that her pants are looser, but I have not seen much of a difference beyond my stomach getting a little softer to the touch. (I am told thats a good thing)

I didn't start eating right until I realized what I was doing to myself. When I was 20, I was a toothpick. Now I am 30 and I need to shed 60 lbs. Been treadmilling and eating right though. Hopefully it will work. My wife has already noticed that her pants are looser, but I have not seen much of a difference beyond my stomach getting a little softer to the touch. (I am told thats a good thing)

You and your wife are doing so well! It's not easy to change your lives, and you're on your way.

I think we lost our track when people just stopped cooking. Nuke a bowl of Easy Mac and sit in front of the computer. Blech.

But you would for a hottie? Does your husband know this?

Yes, if a woman notices blubber on the beach, she must be a sexual stalker. :roll: Hint: I wouldn't break my marriage vows for a lazy, fat guy.

Technology is definitely a part of it. you come from a generation where almost all the entertainment came from being out doors. Now we have thousands of TV shows, millions of movies, video games up the wazoo, computers etc. I think the solution is to get your kids involved with sports. Find one that they enjoy. Some sports are probably better than others (I never found baseball to be particularly strenuous). I found soccer and hockey were quite enjoyable sports that definitely kept me in shape. Track and cross country are also great but I found them less enjoyable.

I really think sports are the answer!

But thier uglyness is affecting the good looking people's enjoyment of the beach, that and the enjoyment of dirty old men who liked to look at hot young women in bikinis

Im laughing and agreeing with that at the same time. Im 25 and working in retail I deal with all kinds of people. The "hot" people are the dumbest, most arrogant and spoiled people I come across.

I had to laugh at this. Yea, blame the food. That makes sense. It's the tacos man!!!! LOL
It's a valid concern, if all you have available is crappy food, that's probably all you're going to eat.

But you would for a hottie? Does your husband know this?

Ha! OK, you got me there. :lol:

Technology is definitely a part of it. you come from a generation where almost all the entertainment came from being out doors. Now we have thousands of TV shows, millions of movies, video games up the wazoo, computers etc. I think the solution is to get your kids involved with sports. Find one that they enjoy. Some sports are probably better than others (I never found baseball to be particularly strenuous). I found soccer and hockey were quite enjoyable sports that definitely kept me in shape. Track and cross country are also great but I found them less enjoyable.

I really think sports are the answer!

My husband says the same thing about sports, and I think it's spot on.

I grew up in a house where we had 9 TVs, one was even in the garage. :doh My mother didn't like to cook, so she stocked up on oreos and chips. The only reason she bought milk was for her coffee, and I used to snarf that down much to her chagrin. Then I met maryjane at age 11 with my first beer. My generation should have been a buncha slobs, but I just don't remember any guys in high school or college with moobs. Maybe all the coke kept us thin. :lol:

We went back to the beach this afternoon, and it was the moob coast again. I swear if I had taken off my top and put my hair up in a cap, people would just assume I was a young guy.

I wonder if that which has made girls have much larger boobs has had the same effect on boys. Some hormone, cattle, more milk? Can't remember the specifics.

I wonder if that which has made girls have much larger boobs has had the same effect on boys. Some hormone, cattle, more milk? Can't remember the specifics.

Natural selection, most definitely (in both cases).

Back
Top Bottom