• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The $2 Trillion Project to Get Saudi Arabia’s Economy Off Oil

That is quite a job that they have cut out for the near future. It took two world wars and nearly a century, for instance, to bring women into learning and the labor force to the unequal extent we now see. The Saudis will run into resistance from all areas of their society for decades. The unrest could become severe and the competition with countries like Iran could lead to war.

Maybe we should do all we can to help, but do it soto voce.

We should only help them if they are committed to secular reforms- the Saudis need to stop supporting Wahhabism.

That is quite a job that they have cut out for the near future. It took two world wars and nearly a century, for instance, to bring women into learning and the labor force to the unequal extent we now see. The Saudis will run into resistance from all areas of their society for decades. The unrest could become severe and the competition with countries like Iran could lead to war.

Maybe we should do all we can to help, but do it soto voce.

Greetings, joG. :2wave:

The new Saudi leader is not happy with us at the moment, as BHO apparently discovered when he was not met with a lot of fanfare when he landed in Saudi Arabia, and was not met and greeted. From what I've read, they feel betrayed by BHO's recent deal with Iran, their sworn enemy practically since time began. Kissinger's deal with the Saudi King years ago gave us "favored nation status" on the dollar being used by every country in the world in world trade, which has greatly benefitted us, and they have now stated that they have kept their end of the deal all these years - and are questioning their decision to be an ally of ours - for what if our word is no good!

I will be watching what the group of 57 nations, which includes Great Britain and other of our former allies, with more nations joining all the time, decide to do about "dethroning" America and going instead with a basket of currencies. Our standard of living will change for the worse, I fear, if this happens. With our debt of $19 Trillion dollars and climbing by the minute, we will face a future we will not enjoy, IMO! :thumbdown: I pray I am wrong.....

Greetings, joG. :2wave:

The new Saudi leader is not happy with us at the moment, as BHO apparently discovered when he was not met with a lot of fanfare when he landed in Saudi Arabia, and was not met and greeted. From what I've read, they feel betrayed by BHO's recent deal with Iran, their sworn enemy practically since time began. Kissinger's deal with the Saudi King years ago gave us "favored nation status" on the dollar being used by every country in the world in world trade, which has greatly benefitted us, and they have now stated that they have kept their end of the deal all these years - and are questioning their decision to be an ally of ours - for what if our word is no good!

I will be watching what the group of 57 nations, which includes Great Britain and other of our former allies, with more nations joining all the time, decide to do about "dethroning" America and going instead with a basket of currencies. Our standard of living will change for the worse, I fear, if this happens. With our debt of $19 Trillion dollars and climbing by the minute, we will face a future we will not enjoy, IMO! :thumbdown: I pray I am wrong.....

:2wave: Hi Polgara :)

We, or at any rate those that were interested in such stuff, have known for two decades that the relative power would shift and that we needed a new set of rules to govern our security in the world. We have been very negligent and not done at all well in this respect. Bush left the world ready to accept a new deal and Obama blew it.
We have very little time left. The window of opportunity might even now have already closed, though, I believe there is yet some chance of reorganizing the international community enough to avoid world war. But it is now far less likely than it was 8 years ago.

:2wave: Hi Polgara :)

We, or at any rate those that were interested in such stuff, have known for two decades that the relative power would shift and that we needed a new set of rules to govern our security in the world. We have been very negligent and not done at all well in this respect. Bush left the world ready to accept a new deal and Obama blew it.
We have very little time left. The window of opportunity might even now have already closed, though, I believe there is yet some chance of reorganizing the international community enough to avoid world war. But it is now far less likely than it was 8 years ago.

As I have time, I tend to leaf through lots of sites on the internet, and I have never seen so many articles on how to prepare for what so many people fear is coming. Not so much on here, because we are looking at the political end of things, which does tend to help us understand the "why" of what is going on, for what it's worth. I believe that most folks don't care about the "why" since they can't do anything about it, but they have a gut feeling that things are bad and getting worse all the time. Our leaders have apparently decided to take care of themselves first, and the rest of the people are on their own. Unfortunately too many people today are dependent upon government help to survive, but what's going to happen when the government hasn't the money to give them? When there is corruption at the top, what can the little people do? Things like the Panama Papers do expose the dishonesty, but what good does that do? We already suspected that, so it only serves as confirmation! Small wonder that this election is going the way it is; it was probably inevitable with the anger and disgust people feel today. :sinking:

As I have time, I tend to leaf through lots of sites on the internet, and I have never seen so many articles on how to prepare for what so many people fear is coming. Not so much on here, because we are looking at the political end of things, which does tend to help us understand the "why" of what is going on, for what it's worth. I believe that most folks don't care about the "why" since they can't do anything about it, but they have a gut feeling that things are bad and getting worse all the time. Our leaders have apparently decided to take care of themselves first, and the rest of the people are on their own. Unfortunately too many people today are dependent upon government help to survive, but what's going to happen when the government hasn't the money to give them? When there is corruption at the top, what can the little people do? Things like the Panama Papers do expose the dishonesty, but what good does that do? We already suspected that, so it only serves as confirmation! Small wonder that this election is going the way it is; it was probably inevitable with the anger and disgust people feel today. :sinking:

It isn't just in the USA, where the dangers are probably further removed in any event, that populations feel the ground shifting dangerously. This does happen infrequently that an end of time atmosphere grabs hold. The thing is that this time it could be true. The game structure of international security has developed in a nasty albeit predicted direction and look firmly set on a horrific trend

Back
Top Bottom