• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 1900's --- Music hath charm to soothe the savage beast or Make it RAGTIME!

LittleNipper

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I take on this new thread with much trepidation. A lot is going on during this period (1900- 1909), and what was once modestly acceptable has often fallen on disgrace --- socially. Of course what was once disgraceful is often totally acceptable today. I do find that much of the Rap "Music" is just a seemingly four letter word triradial throwback to the MINSTREL ERA, where both blacks and whites dressed in "black" regalia and applied "blackface" --- acting out a stereotype. Today, the blacks and whites remain "au naturale" while dressing in a decidedly "URBAN" style, and applying the "N" word as a seemingly grand token gesture to past indignities... This is not to say all RAP is bad. It does have its influences; however, I fear that most Rap will eventually find itself forgotten. This genre of expression seems highly contemporary and area specific. It is the "voice of now!" As a result, what may seem highly apropos to what is presently happening, will likely find itself without any lasting relevance as we move into the future. It is like the antiwar songs of the mid 1960's and mid 70's. When the Vietnam conflict dissolved, the songs ceased to be relevant and with very few exceptions have all disappeared into obscurity. Rap has two major strikes against it: One, is that each work is tied to the performer. The performance are the thoughts and expression of that performer and that point in time...

Anyway, I do apologize. I ran off on a bit of a tangent. So back to the subject at hand. The year is 1900. There are basically three record companies, and one is about to change hands. The companies are, EDISON NATIONAL PHONOGRAPH COMPANY, COLUMBIA GRAPHOPHONE COMPANY, and THE BERLINER GRAM-O-PHONE COMPANY (which will become THE VICTOR TALKING MACHINE COMPANY). The music recorded for the most part was influenced by BROADWAY, VAUDVILLE, MINSTREL SHOWS, SACRED CHURCH/REVIVAL MUSIC, TINPAN ALLEY, FOLK SONG, and RAGTIME. Actually, BLACK music was highly influential. And while some may find the stereotyping meanspirited, it could possibly be regarded as a little bit of a homage to Black style/charm. It must be understood that EVEN THE BLACK MINSTREL was expected to wear blackface, as did his white counterparts. They were playing a role that could be compared to the JAPANESE KABUKI, where the performers wore/wear very heavy makeup ---- very unnatural. So, here is were we are. Here is the number one song for 1900: This recording was originally a BERLINER reissued as a VICTOR. The sound isn't great and it wasn't much better when it was new as it was accomplished using an acid etching process that would change shortly.

Last edited:

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Music has charms to soothe the savage breast'?​

Literal meaning. That literal meaning is open to misinterpretation as this phrase is frequently written as 'music has charms to soothe the savage beast'.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Music has charms to soothe the savage breast'?​

The phrase 'music has charms to sooth a savage breast' sounds Shakespearian but in fact comes to us from The Mourning Bride, a poem by William Congreve, 1697:

Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.

Here is the song as sung from the sheet music from the period. And this is how it's been determined what songs were popular and where they rated on the chart. There were few listings indeed as to how records sold pretty much until radio came to be. VICTOR did keep track of sales almost to the 1900 but not quite. And if a record company went out of business, very often all the "historic" paperwork would be unceremoniously thrown away. BUT sheet music publishers did keep track of sales and even until the depression the sale of sheet music had a major influence as to chart placement. Many people had a piano in the family, and it wasn't unusual for many family members to play some instrument. The phonograph, while in it infancy was still pretty much just an expensive novelty. It would not be until about 1905 that things would begin to change. And it must be realized that many rich and "swells" (well-to-do) would not have the phonograph eyesore in their home. The VICTOR Talking Machine Company changed that with their VICTROLA --- that looked so much like a piece of furniture

Anyway, here is MY TIGER LILY sung from the sheet music of the period with words (sorry for any upset --- listen at your own risk):

We now have a ballad titled: WHEN YOU WERE SWEET SIXTEEN that would rank about 5 in 1900

I take on this new thread with much trepidation. A lot is going on during this period (1900- 1909), and what was once modestly acceptable has often fallen on disgrace --- socially. Of course what was once disgraceful is often totally acceptable today. I do find that much of the Rap "Music" is just a seemingly four letter word triradial throwback to the MINSTREL ERA, where both blacks and whites dressed in "black" regalia and applied "blackface" --- acting out a stereotype. Today, the blacks and whites remain "au naturale" while dressing in a decidedly "URBAN" style, and applying the "N" word as a seemingly grand token gesture to past indignities...
Nobody actually cares about any level of butthurt that blackface isn't acceptable anymore.

And also - and this is the important bit - rap artists aren't talking to you. Your approval is of no concern.

In 1898 a song was composed that would become a hit in 1900. The song was WHEN YOU WERE SWEET SIXTEEN and recorded on an EDISON wax cylinder record. It must be understood that it would be years of recorded sound before it was mostly the ARTIST's rendition and not the SONG itself that the consumers were actually interested in. Of course, particular artists would became popular. Here is WHEN YOU WERE SWEET SIXTEEN: https://playback.fm/charts/top-100-songs/video/1900/Jere-Mahoney-When-You-Were-Sweet-Sixteen

Another song high on the charts for 1900 is MA BLUSHIN' ROSIE. Unfortunately, no early recordings of this song are available; however, we have a later recording of this song with none other than AL JOLSON. And he performs it much as he did in Vaudeville. It's a great song that is still very much still heard today. Here is Al Jolson:

Here is the #2 most popular song of 1900. It was written in 1899. Apparently, George J. Gaskin did make a recording of this song in 1900 (likely on a Berliner Record), but unfortunately there are no copies of this recording presently known to still exist. Again, this represents the very early days of the commercial record industry; however, there is always the possibility that the fate of this recording represents the future of all recordings, photographs, and films ever made. Time has a way of erasing the past.
Anyway, ON A LIGHTER NOTE. I did find a YOUTUBE songster who made a piano an voice rendition using the ORIGINAL SHEET MUSIC from 1899. So, here we at least have a rendition of the number 2 most popular song from 1900 that is now long forgotten--- WHEN CHLOE SINGS A SONG :

WHEN YOU WERE SWEET SIXTEEN was written in 1898 and would be a great hit record for Harry Macdonough in 1900 on a Edison Cylinder Record:

Last edited:
In November of 1899 a new musical would become very popular in London. The name of this musical was/is FLORADORA. It takes place on an island in the Philippines where a perfume is made called Floradora made from Floradora flowers... The musical was a complete smash hit. One of the supplementary numbers of this show was I WANT TO BE A MILLITARY MAN. It was released on an EDISON BELL Cylinder Record in 1900 sung by Louis Bradfield And here is the music sheet with words and a "singer": FLORADORA would reach the United States and also be an even greater Broadway hit in 1901. The young ladies on stage would become known as THE FLORADORA GIRLS.

Last edited:
The number 5 song of 1900 was also written in 1899. It was titled MANDY LEE and sung here by Author Collins. It must be understood that the Cylinder recordings that were taken care of and didn't succumb to mold or simply worn out with playing are very clear compared to the disc records of this early period. It wasn't until the disc masters were cut on wax rather than acid etched zinc that the sound improved; however, the disc records did in fact carry the full weight of the soundbox and a horn and so they were made using harder materials that caused "surface" noise. The cylinder machines of the period were designed to mechanically propel the soundbox/reproducer, thus preventing lateral wear. The reproducer was on this account lighter --- reducing "surface" noise: (However, this must be a later edition of this song as there is missing the standard announcement and this song runs rather long ------- I suspect it to be a later celluloid Blue Amberol cylinder).

Last edited:
In 1900, a song was going to sell 2 million copies of sheet music. The tune would become a standard for the period. It is a very moralist --- a regular tearjerker... A BIRD IN A GUILDED CAGE: The 1st recording by Steve Porter is a Columbia cylinder from 1899. The 2nd is by Arthur Lamb and recorded on a PINK LAMBERT (celluloid) CYLINDER in 1900. Note the difference!

Last edited:
Marches have always been popular and A COON BAND CONTEST (Cake Walk) By Arthur Pryor in 1899 (while he was still in Sousa's Band was among the most popular of the period. Here is a 1900 Sousa Band rendition on a Columbia Cylinder Record: Shame it's no longer played today.

Of Course old classics like Stephan Foster were very popular, and the banjo was very highly regarded as is the electric guitar is today to the general public. My great-grandfather was in Vaudeville and could play the violin, the mandolin, and the banjo. So, he covered all the various music types of the day. I also understand that while he could read music, he also had the uncanny ability to play any melody after hearing it just once. Anyway, Vess Ossman will play on his banjo a still very popular tune that sold plenty of records on various labels, written by Stephan Foster in 1851 (a mere 50 years earlier). It is rather like listening to a Beatles song today. Here is THE OLD FOLKS AT HOME (and I'll pretend that I'm listening to my great-grandpop):

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Music has charms to soothe the savage breast'?​

Literal meaning. That literal meaning is open to misinterpretation as this phrase is frequently written as 'music has charms to soothe the savage beast'.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Music has charms to soothe the savage breast'?​

The phrase 'music has charms to sooth a savage breast' sounds Shakespearian but in fact comes to us from The Mourning Bride, a poem by William Congreve, 1697:
ACTUALLY, what you are saying is true; however, I actually coined the interesting phrase due to a very rare navy blue 7" 78rpm record I own. I met several collectors who have told me that they NEVER saw a 7" AMERICA PHONOGRAPH RECORD, thought they had a few of the 10". Anyway the label of the record has an "American Indian" with the logo, "Music Hath Charms". Please note the illustration here: http://www.shellac.org/wams/wamrec.html Also note the label is really very striking. Here is a color illustration: https://www.rootsvinylguide.com/eba...ompany-1-sided-blue-records-music-hath-charms

I might also add that Shakespeare was also very adept with regard to the Bible. And he may have gotten his inspiration from the story of how David played his harp to calm Saul when he was troubled... Saul was a regular brute.

Last edited:
This is what is best described as a religious ballad. It portrays a dream as it tells a story. This song was written in 1892, but picked up popularity that grew with each coming year. This brown wax cylinder record was recorded in 1898, but copies were still being turned out in 1900 and it was very popular in both the UK and the US particularly as an EASTER song to be sung in churches by a tenor or baritone. Most people today have heard this song, if they attended a mainline church at some point in their lives. The song THE HOLY CITY ---- this video is a little on the long side, there is some info regarding the Edison Phonograph playing this recording ---- but it's certainly worth the wait. This song sold millions of sheet music back in the day and records and music sheets were EVEN PIRATED. Anyway, here is the song:

Here is a Stella Music Box from about the same period playing THE HOLY CITY:

Mandy Lee was written in 1899. And became a recording hit in 1900. It is sung by Arthur Collins

I CAN'T TELL WHY I LOVE YOU BUT I DO, is a song recorded by the Canadian singer Harry Macdonald and was quite popular in 1900 --- it is totally obscure today... The Edison Machine playing this recording is a HOME model.

Last edited:
Oddly, in 1945 Dinah Shore would revive the song 45 years later: I CAN'T TELL WHY I LOVE YOU BUT I DO ------ and here it is: As good as - YESTERDAY!

At number 23 we have a slice of the English Music Halls (comparable to Vaudeville in the U.S.A.). We have a comic song that equates the views from the slums of the poor with those of the well-to-do (if it wasn't for the houses in between). And that is the title of our next song: IF IT WASN'T FOR THE OUSES IN BETWEEN IF IT WASN'T FOR THE 'OUSES IN BETWEEN (Edgar Bateman / George LeBrunn) Gus Elen -
IF IT WASN'T FOR THE 'OUSES IN BETWEEN
1899​
If you saw my little backyard
What a pretty spot you'd cry
It's a picture on a sunny summer day
Wiv the turnip tops and cabbages
Wot people doesn't buy
I makes it on a Sunday look all gay
The neighbours' finks I grows 'em
And you'd fancy you're in Kent
Or at Epsom if you gaze into the mews
Its a wonder that the landlord
Doesn't want to raise the rent
Because we've got such nobby, distant views.

Chorus: Oh it really is a werry pretty garden
And Chingford to the Eastward could be seen
Wiv a ladder and some glasses
You could see the 'Ackney Marshes
If it wasn't for the 'ouses in between.

We're as countrified as can be
Wiv a clothes-prop for a tree
The tub-stool makes a rustic little style
Ev'ry time the blooming clock strikes
There's a cuckoo sings to me
And I've painted up “To Leather Lane a mile”
Wiv tomatoes and wiv radishes wot 'adn't any sale
The backyard looks a perffick mass o' bloom
And I've made a little beehive
Wiv some beetles in a pail
And a pitchfork with the handle of a broom.

And Rye 'ouse from the Cockcroft could be seen
Where the chickweed man undresses
To bathe 'mong the water cresses

There's the bunny shares 'is egg-box
With the cross-eyed **** and hen
Though they 'as got the pip and him the morf
In a dog's 'ouse on the line-post
There was pigeons nine or ten
Till someone took a brick and knocked it off
The dust cart though it seldom comes
Is just like 'arvest 'ome
And we mean to rig a dairy up somehow
Put the donkey in the wash-house
Wiv some imitation 'orns
For we're teaching him to moo just like a cow.

And 'Endon to the westward could be seen
And by clinging to the chimbley
You could see across to Wembley

Though the gas-works isn't wilets
They improve the rural scene
For mountains they would very nicely pass
There's the mushrooms in the dust hole
With the cowcumbers so green
It only wants a bit of 'ot 'ouse glass
I wear this milkman's nightshirt
And I sits outside all day
Like the plough-boy cove
What's mizzled o'er the Lea
And when I go indoors at night
They dunno what I say
Cause my language gets as yokel as can be.

And soap-works from the 'ouse-tops could be seen
If I got a rope and pulley
I'd enjoy the breeze more fully

Last edited:
The year is 1900, and there was a Great Exposition in Paris. Here is a song sung by Polin regarding that fair:
This song regards the MOVING SIDEWALK at this fair, and in 1900!

Last edited:
VICTOR MONARCH disc Record ( dialogue ) NIGHT TRIP TO BUFFILO --- AMERICAN QUARTET
This is a night train excursion on a sleeper car that will give an idea of what things were like well over 120 years ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom