• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 10th Doctor

My wife refuses to watch doctor who now because the new guy sucks.

Your wife is... mistaken. My whole family adores Matt Smith, and the way he and Amy get along, they are the best duo of the modern Who.

No, it was time for him to go.

Karen Gillan is the hottest thing that's ever been on that show.

Ever. Since 1963.

The 2005+ revival hasn't had anywhere near the imagination or the wonder of the previous series, however, even if it's had bigger budgets and better production.

I like Doctor Who, and I liked all the new Doctors. I don't know about the old Doctors cause my Scottish friend got me into it when it came on in the US on Scifi. I liked Eccleston because he was the first Doctor I saw, and Rose, and I miss Tennent, I really liked him, but for some reason I felt Donna was kinda awkward, I dunno if I just didn't care for the actress or what, anyone agree? And Matt Smith is all right, but I perfer the stories from 9 and 10, to 11's rather darker stories, 9 and 10 seemed like they had more fun than 11 is having.

Karen Gillan is the hottest thing that's ever been on that show.

Ever. Since 1963.

The 2005+ revival hasn't had anywhere near the imagination or the wonder of the previous series, however, even if it's had bigger budgets and better production.

On one hand I agree that NuWho is missing something the Original Who hadn't, but I also consider that my watching Original Who was as a Child, so it seemed.. more then it was? And I watch NuWho as an Adult, so I see it through different eyes.

I don't understand why people hate Smith so much

I don't understand why people hate Smith so much

I think most of them are people who really only know Tennant, thought Tennant was awesome, and don't want anyone else.

A similar thing happened with Peter Davison after Tom Baker.

The Saddest thing in the 50 year HISTORY of Doctor Who :(

I was not sad to see that control room go, because I always hated it. Don't like the new one much better, either.

On one hand I agree that NuWho is missing something the Original Who hadn't, but I also consider that my watching Original Who was as a Child, so it seemed.. more then it was? And I watch NuWho as an Adult, so I see it through different eyes.

I never saw the Original Who shows. Back then, they'd be on PBS, and as a kid the theme song freaked me out too much to watch. Also, I preferred cartoons much much more to live action shows.

From what I can gather, however, the major difference between OldWho and NuWho is the element of fantasy.

Remember, OldWho showed a BUNCH of aliens and monsters and so forth. NuWho, it seems, tends to use either 1) very boring new aliens and monsters or 2) the same rehashed old popular aliens and monsters.

Take, for instance, the Daleks. I cannot tell you how tired I am of seeing Daleks in the NuWho.

Now, I LOVE the Weeping Angels and I love how they use them very sparingly. They are a fearsome enemy, and familiarity breeds contempt. They should only be used once or twice a season at the most.

I think this shows the problem with the NuWho. It has been trying to walk the fine line between referencing the past while innovating new and never-before-seen things. When there's only +20 episodes in a season, an attempt like that is bound to make a show feel "cramped."

So the writers are going to have to decide which iconic elements of the show to include and which to cut back on. With Matt Smith, they seem to be much more innovative than during Tennant's tenure. I hope they keep it up.

In the new show, they spend about 80% of their time on contemporary Earth, and when they do venture out, it's almost always to the same 3-4 places, repeatedly.

The original show spent most of its time elsewhere and elsewhen. Lots more imagination.

And yeah, the new show seems like the writers feel obligated to bring in the Daleks, the Cybermen, and the Master at least once per season. In the old show, it was a treat when they showed up, because it happened fairly rarely -- once per Doctor, even. Maybe not even that often.

And the new show spends far, far too much time centered around the families of the companions.

My wife refuses to watch doctor who now because the new guy sucks.

My partner is the same.

I hate Smith.
I'd rather they just cancel Doctor Who if BBC is not going to sort it out.

His inability to act is one major problem.

Inability to act? Are you... serious? He brings a different sort of energy to the role. He's a more fun, yet darkly serious Doctor then you are giving him credit for. You can FEEL the joy he has in the role, and his eyes... there are moments when he can bring this deep look of AGE that is hard to describe. What's funny is, he also has some Tom Baker Asshole in him, which I just adore. MY daughter thinks he's a bit, rude to the females on the show, but then... Baker could be a real ass too. I guess females are more highly sensitive to this? I dunno. My wife thinks it's great, he's not an emotional sensitive wuss. Good show I say, bring us MORE.

* he's not over emotional, not so breathe through the teeth angry at the Universe, Tennet's run was one seething angry demi-god, and... he loved horse face Tyler, so it was good he left (Typing Wife's 2 Cents on the issue)

Inability to act? Are you... serious? He brings a different sort of energy to the role. He's a more fun, yet darkly serious Doctor then you are giving him credit for. You can FEEL the joy he has in the role, and his eyes... there are moments when he can bring this deep look of AGE that is hard to describe. What's funny is, he also has some Tom Baker Asshole in him, which I just adore. MY daughter thinks he's a bit, rude to the females on the show, but then... Baker could be a real ass too. I guess females are more highly sensitive to this? I dunno. My wife thinks it's great, he's not an emotional sensitive wuss. Good show I say, bring us MORE.

* he's not over emotional, not so breathe through the teeth angry at the Universe, Tennet's run was one seething angry demi-god, and... he loved horse face Tyler, so it was good he left (Typing Wife's 2 Cents on the issue)

You certainly got a lot more out of his performance than I did. In my experience, it was two dimensional while I could see the turmoil anf anguish in the last doctor.

Your wife is... mistaken. My whole family adores Matt Smith, and the way he and Amy get along, they are the best duo of the modern Who.

No. I mean, I am fine with Matt & Amy? But David Tennant is the best, hands down. Matt is a solid third after Christopher Eccleston.

Why do you hate him

Matt Smith as Doctor sucks. He has no facial expression and a personality that is bloody boring. Not convincing, **** actor, dresses like a twat and acts even worse.
His fast talking, umming and erring, peeking out from under his hair, talking to himself and his need to try and act all dramatic and edgy is just pathetic. He has neither the wit, intelligence or charisma of David Tennant.

I dislike the entire story line, out of the entire series. I enjoy maybe two episodes. I hate the companion and her baggage that comes along with it and the never ending ... "who is river" ... "I killed someone close" .... "what are you to me" ... "very soon it will all change". I don't give a ****, stop dragging it out.

The crap effects and the hideous soundtrack. Wrecking one of the best known shows in the world. I can't stand the entire change of everything that makes Doctor Who what it is just because a new doctor happened to walk along the scene. Tennant got along fine without changing everything like Smith. The new theme tune and intro is just bad, for all that is good and holy in this world BBC needs to bloody fix it.

The series is so bad, it was getting to the point where I was cringing when it was on and hoping it quickly finished. Its not even fun to laugh at it anymore no. It is just embarrassing. The whole plot for the series seemed unimaginative and rather quite thoughtless, a child could have thought up better adventures for the doctor

The entire show needs a massive overhaul and to start off with removing Smith or the companion. And Moffat? What a horrific writer. If the next series is any way as bad as the last one under Moffat. I think I might gouge my eyes out to protect them from further damage.

Karen was just annoying me with her oh so pathetic ... "'I'm-so-in-love-with-him-and should-I-marry-the-kid-or-not". And the god awful scene of Amy trying to jump the Doctor. Moffat needs to remember Doctor Who is Sci FI not EastEnders She is an entirely unlikeable character with a motto that seems to be "when in doubt pout" and who's only role seems to be attracting male audiences with little to offer but legs and a mini skirt.

And do NOT get me started on the teletubby ****ing daleks. WTF?! They go into a machine and come out like skittles, all different colours of the rainbow :doh
Awful, cheap and tacky looking sums up how they look and those responsible should be exterminated immediately.

I gave the new Series a try, I really did. I forced myself to watch all the episodes.
Steven Moffat does not deserve praise for this series. What he should do however is do us all a favour if he would remove himself voluntarily as head writer and producer and take his cast with him and then perhaps Dr Who will still be around in 2013, which will be of course the 50th Anniversary of Dr Who.

I'm betting money Doctor Who will be cancelled before the 5 year contract is over but hey, what do I know. I am only one person who seems to be paying for this ****ing monstrosity.
:rantoff:

Glad I got that off my chest.

Matt Smith as Doctor sucks. He has no facial expression and a personality that is bloody boring. Not convincing, **** actor, dresses like a twat and acts even worse.
His fast talking, umming and erring, peeking out from under his hair, talking to himself and his need to try and act all dramatic and edgy is just pathetic. He has neither the wit, intelligence or charisma of David Tennant.

I dislike the entire story line, out of the entire series. I enjoy maybe two episodes. I hate the companion and her baggage that comes along with it and the never ending ... "who is river" ... "I killed someone close" .... "what are you to me" ... "very soon it will all change". I don't give a ****, stop dragging it out.

The crap effects and the hideous soundtrack. Wrecking one of the best known shows in the world. I can't stand the entire change of everything that makes Doctor Who what it is just because a new doctor happened to walk along the scene. Tennant got along fine without changing everything like Smith. The new theme tune and intro is just bad, for all that is good and holy in this world BBC needs to bloody fix it.

The series is so bad, it was getting to the point where I was cringing when it was on and hoping it quickly finished. Its not even fun to laugh at it anymore no. It is just embarrassing. The whole plot for the series seemed unimaginative and rather quite thoughtless, a child could have thought up better adventures for the doctor

The entire show needs a massive overhaul and to start off with removing Smith or the companion. And Moffat? What a horrific writer. If the next series is any way as bad as the last one under Moffat. I think I might gouge my eyes out to protect them from further damage.

Karen was just annoying me with her oh so pathetic ... "'I'm-so-in-love-with-him-and should-I-marry-the-kid-or-not". And the god awful scene of Amy trying to jump the Doctor. Moffat needs to remember Doctor Who is Sci FI not EastEnders She is an entirely unlikeable character with a motto that seems to be "when in doubt pout" and who's only role seems to be attracting male audiences with little to offer but legs and a mini skirt.

And do NOT get me started on the teletubby ****ing daleks. WTF?! They go into a machine and come out like skittles, all different colours of the rainbow :doh
Awful, cheap and tacky looking sums up how they look and those responsible should be exterminated immediately.

I gave the new Series a try, I really did. I forced myself to watch all the episodes.
Steven Moffat does not deserve praise for this series. What he should do however is do us all a favour if he would remove himself voluntarily as head writer and producer and take his cast with him and then perhaps Dr Who will still be around in 2013, which will be of course the 50th Anniversary of Dr Who.

I'm betting money Doctor Who will be cancelled before the 5 year contract is over but hey, what do I know. I am only one person who seems to be paying for this ****ing monstrosity.
:rantoff:

Glad I got that off my chest.

Actually, about the Daleks being different colors, didn't they used to be different colors in the old series? I think my friend told me they did and it means rank.

Anyway, I did enjoy Matt's big speech to like 1 million aliens in the 2 part season finale. :)

Back
Top Bottom