• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 20 Patients.

The Comfort was scheduled to dock in NY Harbor long before news of the Corona breakout in China. Its presence here had nothing to do with treating virus victims and still doesn't. This is what happens when media BS flies. It docked here for resupply, with a crew trained for trauma response, not treatment of virus victims.

They're not being tasked with treating virus patients; their mission is to reduce the non-virus patient load from hospitals.

What's you source for claiming Comfort was already scheduled to go to New York?

The ship was said to be intended for non-COVID-19 patients only in order to relieve the strain at NYC hospitals.

Yep, and who is in charge of sending non-virus patients to the ship? I pretty sure it isn't Trump.

A thousand bed capacity. It's been there at least a week. And only 20 patients on board? This is a military facility. Where is the Commander-in-Chief's direction?
It arrived last Monday.

~ The hospital ships will take non-Wuhan virus patients as needed. Apparently the land hospitals are not transferring many patients. Why ...❓ ( perhaps they are not necessary yet. )

The problem was in the way those patients were supposed to be transferred. Ambulances were dropping people off at a local hospital for testing, then potentially transferred to the ship. Many NYC hospitals are flooded with incoming patients so this added step created an inefficiency in admitting new patients to the USNS Comfort. They recently changed this though, so now ambulances will drop people off there directly. Hopefully this will help make the ship more useful for the hospitals.

And how many people will die while they 'take their time'?
You want them to go out on the streets and drag patients back to the ship?

USNS Comfort Hospital Ship Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 3 Patients. - The New York Times

“It’s a joke,” said a top hospital executive, whose facilities are packed with coronavirus patients.

Such were the expectations for the Navy hospital ship U.S.N.S. Comfort that when it chugged into New York Harbor this week, throngs of people, momentarily forgetting the strictures of social distancing, crammed together along Manhattan’s west side to catch a glimpse.

On Thursday, though, the huge white vessel, which officials had promised would bring succor to a city on the brink, sat mostly empty, infuriating executives at local hospitals. The ship’s 1,000 beds are largely unused, its 1,200-member crew mostly idle.
=====================================================
This is a Navy ship. I blame the Commander-in-Chief - Trump - for the lack of an adequate resonse here. 'I'm not responsible' - Donald Trump.

20 patients or 3 patients, I bet they are well-attended to with 1200 idle crew.

Unlike you, I make no pretense to believing the media when convenient.

"The media" are reporting the words of the President of the United States who made a special trip to Norfolk to send off that ship on a humanitarian run to NYC. You don't have to do trust one word spoken or written by "the media" - watch the damn video of Trump talking.

Goodness - why are you digging this particular hole for yourself?

Thank you. :applaud

Trump is not "in charge" of what's happening in either NYC or NY State.

There is a city Mayor named De Blasio, and a state Governor named Cuomo.

As Trump has said, the Federal government is providing support to the State and Local governments. But he is (currently) letting them do their thing.

Seems like many people want Trump and the Feds to take over completely. Funny when many of those same people can't give him credit for anything, but are fully willing to lay all the blame on him.

Even funnier that they've claimed all along he want's to be a dictator, meanwhile he is actively trying to avoid using dictatorial powers.
I was thinking that, too. Seems funny that those guys who claim Trump can't do anything right are the one's who want him to do everything. Common sense and Progressivism operate perpendicular to each other.

Surely you are aware that these ships are under the command of the Navy? do you know who has ultimate authority over the Navy?
Trump tells them WHERE to go, but he's enough of a leader to allow THEM to do the medical task.
Sherlock Holmes said:
I'd also like the man (and I use the term reluctantly) to answer questions put to him with honesty rather than reprimanding the questioner for asking "nasty" questions, is that something you would do if you were in charge?

Someone, anyone, please tell me what constitutes a "nasty" question? and why should one not ask such questions?

:coffeepap

Usually those that resemble the "when did you stop beating your wife?" genre.

Last edited:
Since when does any civilian authority maintain control of a USN ship?
Never said they did. Since when did the NYC hospitals fall under the jurisdiction of the Federal government? Obviously some hospitals have transferred patients to the Comfort. So its possible. Cuomo and DeBlasio just need to facilitate it being done and stop whining.

The Hospitals have very few non-Covid-19 patients because they are avoiding even going to hospital.

Therefore the premise upon which the deployment of the vessel was based seems to be unsound.

Do you really think that ship will remain uncontaminated? do you actually think that will happen?
You finally got something right. ER visits for sniffles or colds have dried up. People don't want to go to the ER unless it's serious.

What, exactly, do you mean?

No government organization is without it’s faults, but your description is insulting and wrong. Frankly, you come across as someone who doesn’t have much (or any) personal experience with our military.

:) I've been around here for a few years. Communicated with some members over military systems, and met other IRL. Feel free to wander down to the Military Forum if you want to raise a question of Stolen Valor.

Absolutely, our military is very good at neutralizing threats.

Our military is also very good at mobilizing quickly and responding to humanitarian disasters around the world.

Quickly? Often. Effectively? Sometimes. Efficiently? No.

see, all these links you post:

In Operation Tomodochi, after the Japanese earthquake and tsunami in 2011—U.S. forces were instrumental in delivering food, water, blankets, clothing, and medical supplies to support Japanese civilian and military partners.
During Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, Service Members were on the ground working with the Philippine military to provide essential medical treatment and supplies.
During the Ebola epidemic in West Africa, Service Members were involved in constructing treatment centers and providing logistical support to stem the spread of infection.
In the aftermath of the devastating 2015 Nepal earthquake, U.S. military personnel were instrumental in supporting relief efforts with transportation and medical treatment, and where previous training exercises with the Nepalese military significant improved their capacity to respond to the crisis.
These engagements have provided invaluable hands-on experience for service members that helps improve our future contributions to disaster relief efforts. They demonstrate time and again the value of our partnership-building activities, as partner nations have improved their disaster response capabilities after joining U.S. military in training exercises.”
Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief | Health.mil

Military Aids Disaster Response Effort in the Aftermath of Hurricane Florence
Military Aids Disaster Response Effort in the Aftermath of Hurricane Florence > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Defense Department News

“Though it rarely does disaster relief at home, the U.S. military frequently responds to emergencies abroad. Between 1970 and 2000, American troops provided international humanitarian assistance and disaster relief 366 times”
Military mission in Puerto Rico after hurricane was better than critics say but suffered flaws

You are confusing "The military did something" with "The military did something efficiently."

I had people down in Haiti, people in New Orleans, and I've been on more than a couple of Humanitarian Assistance / Disaster Relief (HADR) missions myself. That first case you raise - Operation Tomodochi? I was the Night Chief for the 2 on that operation ;). That was out at III MEF when, when it wasn't HADR, it was playing against the Norks, and it was a running joke that every year Balikatan was for HADR, it turned into an actual HADR. Got a ribbon for doing it in CONUS no less, back in 2008 when the Mississippi flooded and we got pulled off a training op to go help save farmers. I've done HADR ops as a grunt E3 down at the squad level, and helped coordinate response efforts and write SOP's for it at the 3-Star command level. I've been to a dozen different countries with the military (Iraq and Afghanistan included), with both conventional and non, and generally seen enough to be able to say that, yes:

1. The military has elements that can move quickly and are trained for Disaster Relief (the MEU is a good example)
2. The military can sometimes be effective at it.
3. The military is not efficient at it, or, frankly, at any major task requiring the allocation of resources. Besides the ridiculous runaway costs, massive waste combined with serious lack, and regular misallocation of resources, go talk to any active duty or former active duty military person you know who spent much time in, and ask them what happens in the last month of the fiscal year ;).

It just arrived a few days ago. I'm sure they have to staff it, which means hundreds of doctors and nurses, plus everything else it needs. But remember, Rachel Maddow was hate and fear mongering by PROMISING that it would NOT arrive in NYC for weeks! It arrived the next morning after a long "sail" up the coast. People still trust her too....

It arrived last Monday.

And yet to that point had admitted only 20 patients. How is that helping? If they aren't going to offer some real help then they should just go back to where it is they came from. Maybe if they were to take on all the dead bodies coming out the NY hospitals for storage, maybe then they might just gain some insight and appreciation as to the scale of the problem.

Last edited:
Yep, and who is in charge of sending non-virus patients to the ship? I pretty sure it isn't Trump.

So the commander in chief doesn't have any say in that?

It just arrived a few days ago. I'm sure they have to staff it, which means hundreds of doctors and nurses, plus everything else it needs. But remember, Rachel Maddow was hate and fear mongering by PROMISING that it would NOT arrive in NYC for weeks! It arrived the next morning after a long "sail" up the coast. People still trust her too....

And apparently arrived not ready to do much of anything.

And yet to that point had admitted only 20 patients. How is that helping? If they aren't going to offer some real help then they should just go back to where it is they came from. Maybe if they were to take on all the dead bodies coming out the NY hospitals for storage, maybe then they might just gain some insight and appreciation as to the scale of the problem.
Yeah, whatever. :roll:

:) I've been around here for a few years. Communicated with some members over military systems, and met other IRL. Feel free to wander down to the Military Forum if you want to raise a question of Stolen Valor.

Quickly? Often. Effectively? Sometimes. Efficiently? No.

see, all these links you post:

You are confusing "The military did something" with "The military did something efficiently."

I had people down in Haiti, people in New Orleans, and I've been on more than a couple of Humanitarian Assistance / Disaster Relief (HADR) missions myself. That first case you raise - Operation Tomodochi? I was the Night Chief for the 2 on that operation ;). That was out at III MEF when, when it wasn't HADR, it was playing against the Norks, and it was a running joke that every year Balikatan was for HADR, it turned into an actual HADR. Got a ribbon for doing it in CONUS no less, back in 2008 when the Mississippi flooded and we got pulled off a training op to go help save farmers. I've done HADR ops as a grunt E3 down at the squad level, and helped coordinate response efforts and write SOP's for it at the 3-Star command level. I've been to a dozen different countries with the military (Iraq and Afghanistan included), with both conventional and non, and generally seen enough to be able to say that, yes:

1. The military has elements that can move quickly and are trained for Disaster Relief (the MEU is a good example)
2. The military can sometimes be effective at it.
3. The military is not efficient at it, or, frankly, at any major task requiring the allocation of resources. Besides the ridiculous runaway costs, massive waste combined with serious lack, and regular misallocation of resources, go talk to any active duty or former active duty military person you know who spent much time in, and ask them what happens in the last month of the fiscal year ;).
“Stolen valor”? Don’t be so touchy. Your curiously vague claim of military affiliation (I've been in the military in one form or another since 2002) invites questioning. I noticed that you said you’ve been to a dozen different countries “with the military”. “With” and “as a member of” the military aren’t synonymous. So I ask again, what do you mean by “in one form or another”?

With respect to your personal experience involving humanitarian missions, I concede that my own experience in that area is far less. Still, I disagree with your assertion that the military cannot render humanitarian aid efficiently. Too many successful operations to make such a negative blanket statement.

He's a few credits shore of his medical degree.

He's a few cards short of a full deck. But nonetheless for better or worse he is still the commander in chief and therefore he could command that ship to do so. Don't even need an executive order or a resolution. A simple phone call will do.

It arrived last Monday.

Just saw a clip of Rachel Maddow, one of the left's brightest (not very), calling Trump's claim that the ship would be there next week "Nonsense. It will not be there next week". Typical leftist, Trump hating, moron.

“Stolen valor”? Don’t be so touchy. Your curiously vague claim of military affiliation (I've been in the military in one form or another since 2002) invites questioning. I noticed that you said you’ve been to a dozen different countries “with the military”. “With” and “as a member of” the military aren’t synonymous. So I ask again, what do you mean by “in one form or another”?

:shrug: I've been active duty, I've been reserves, I've been a DOD contractor, and I've been a DOD civilian.

With respect to your personal experience involving humanitarian missions, I concede that my own experience in that area is far less. Still, I disagree with your assertion that the military cannot render humanitarian aid efficiently. Too many successful operations to make such a negative blanket statement.

Again, you are confusing "the military did something" with "the military did something efficiently". "We did an Operation and then said Yay Us" =\= "Efficient use of resources"

Have you read the WaPo's report on the SIGAR interviews?

1. The military is controlled by elected and appointed civilian officials. An irrefutable fact.

2. No such thing as “Congressional Medal of Honor”. It is, and always has been, the Medal of Honor. And the medal is not “granted”. Like all military decorations, it is awarded.

No civilian had anything to do with my becoming an officer. No civilian awarded me salad dressing, strictly granted by superior officers for surviving. I watched as a bird colonel walked down a row of beds in a medic tent, smoking a cigar, tossing purple hearts on bed with unconscious men, as he told bad jokes to his subordinates, none, including him, who ever fielded a weapon in combat. He was no civilian. When a medic warned him the cigar was dangerous near oxygen tanks, the bird colonel, being a typical pompous ass, said "show some courage like these honorable men laying here." As I laid there, a victim of a short mortar rounds, friendly fire, I wonder how that made me honorable. He was fortunate that the pain and morphine pumped into me, prevented me from reaching for my sidearm and putting a bullet through his head.

Take your picayune critique to someone who gives a damn.

Back
Top Bottom