• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 20 Patients.

Since when does any civilian authority maintain control of a USN ship?

Is the SECNAV in the service?

He can fire captains..........

Is that “controlling” a ship?

That wasn’t my point, and you know it. What I responded to was, the argument that this case reveals the inadequacies of government run health care. In reality, this is a display of the ineptitude of this administration in dealing with the pandemic.
... And what, exactly, do you think this administration is in charge of, if not the Executive Branch of government?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Thank you. :applaud

Trump is not "in charge" of what's happening in either NYC or NY State.

There is a city Mayor named De Blasio, and a state Governor named Cuomo.

As Trump has said, the Federal government is providing support to the State and Local governments. But he is (currently) letting them do their thing.

Seems like many people want Trump and the Feds to take over completely. Funny when many of those same people can't give him credit for anything, but are fully willing to lay all the blame on him.

Even funnier that they've claimed all along he want's to be a dictator, meanwhile he is actively trying to avoid using dictatorial powers.
The leftist media whinged about Trump being a dictator. How many magazine covers and memes have shown him as such? Now they are stymied at why Trump is NOT acting like a dictator, and seem angry that he chooses so.

Blame the Commander-in-Chief? :roll:

It's a single hospital ship out of what, two in the Navy? USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) and USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) The US Navy -- Fact File: Hospital Ships T-AH

Each has a 1000 bed capacity. One is currently in NYC.

NYC has 63,306 confirmed Covid-19 cases as of this time/date 1:20 PM EST 04/04/20. United States Coronavirus (COVID-19) Tracker

What did you expect?

Oh wait, cue in the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" 20/20 hindsight armchair-CinC's refrain. :coffeepap:

It wasn't meant to take COVID-19 patients anyway. I think people here forget what COVID-19 does to people cooped up in a ship...

... And what, exactly, do you think this administration is in charge of, if not the Executive Branch of government?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

:doh :doh :doh

The ship was said to be intended for non-COVID-19 patients only in order to relieve the strain at NYC hospitals.

That was my understanding as well; however, it does raise some questions.....if the goal is to divert non COVID-19 patients to the Hospital ships to reduce the strain on brick and mortar Hospitals, that does not magically produce the additional ICU/Critical care trained medical care providers; not everyone in Hospitals are qualified to work in critical care settings......you cannot take a community health nurse and toss them into a cardiac step down unit or post op.

Simply removing patients from the General Medical, Ortho, pediatrics, and other assorted non critical care wards will not lessen the strain on CC/ICU units now; but it may prevent Hospital acquired transmission of COVID to non affected patients.....that may be part of the reasoning.

There hasn't been a lot of info released regarding the Hospital ships.

The Comfort was scheduled to dock in NY Harbor long before news of the Corona breakout in China. Its presence here had nothing to do with treating virus victims and still doesn't. This is what happens when media BS flies. It docked here for resupply, with a crew trained for trauma response, not treatment of virus victims.

What do you mean it was scheduled to dock in New York before the Corona outbreak in China? The last time the Comfort docked in New York was in the aftermath of 9/11. Maybe you haven't noticed but the streets of New York are pretty much empty. So you're not going to see the usual number trauma cases from accidents and whatnot.

Is the SECNAV in the service?

He can fire captains..........

Is that “controlling” a ship?

Technically, the Secretary of the Navy straddles both civilian and military status, as an executive acting under the authority of the CnC. However, the status of this position gives no authority to governors and mayors, members of congress, inclusive of those who oversee military policies, or any other civilian authorities.

Isn't the military itself under civilian authority?

No. The CnC, the president is both a civilian and military authority. Only congress can declare war, but under subsequent legislation to our Constitution, the president has been granted war powers that do not require congressional approval. Obviously, this is now an issue of contention. However, congress has no authority beyond adjusting and approving overall military budgets, and granting the Congressional Medal of Honor, no authority over specific military activities. Congress may question or request those activities, yet questioning and requesting are not an exercises (? other than ego) of authority, and never has been. Perhaps we can view the position of congressional members similar to that of internet influencers. :)

Awkward myths? Technically we have a civilian military, not professional soldiers, another myth not even true during times of conscription. We do have career soldiers, sailors, Marines, West Point and Annapolis. Would you want a nonprofessional fighter pilot flying a modern $bil fighter jet armed with weapons of precision and mass destruction? Yes, a lowly private can deliver a payload of death with a drone, but again, not a non-professional.

Beliefs and reality, rarely in sync.

Technically, the Secretary of the Navy straddles both civilian and military status, as an executive acting under the authority of the CnC. However, the status of this position gives no authority to governors and mayors, members of congress, inclusive of those who oversee military policies, or any other civilian authorities.

Moving the goalposts, OFG.....

What do you mean it was scheduled to dock in New York before the Corona outbreak in China? The last time the Comfort docked in New York was in the aftermath of 9/11. Maybe you haven't noticed but the streets of New York are pretty much empty. So you're not going to see the usual number trauma cases from accidents and whatnot.

Prior to the virus breakout, the Comfort was scheduled for resupply in NY Harbor, actually the Jersey side of the Harbor. The refitting and maintenance in Connecticut. That its staff is trained for trauma response has nothing to with the numbers of trauma victims in the metropolitan area. Navy hospital ships are designed and staffed to respond to the aftermath of military actions.

My older son runs one of the trauma teams at a major NYC private hospital, known among other fields of treatment, as one of the best for trauma responses in the city. He is busier than he has ever been. On an endless 24/7 call. He hasn't seen his children for three weeks, barely been able to spare the time to phone them every other day. It would seem to be reasonable that the semi-voluntary isolation would lead to a reduction of trauma, less crime, vehicle collisions, construction incidents, and so forth. However, domestic violence is through the roof, violent crimes are rising with a reduced police presence as police call in sick, home fires are increasing, construction is ongoing, people still suffer falls. When we spoke earlier today, he told me, among other patients, he treated a woman who cut off her thumb while preparing dinner for her family, a man who needed emergency surgery after tripping on a child's toy in his home, to relieve pressure on the brain from an internal skull hematoma. I could continue to list other causes, but the logic fails the reality. Rather sad as an expression of the human condition.

Prior to the virus breakout, the Comfort was scheduled for resupply in NY Harbor, actually the Jersey side of the Harbor. The refitting and maintenance in Connecticut. That its staff is trained for trauma response has nothing to with the numbers of trauma victims in the metropolitan area. Navy hospital ships are designed and staffed to respond to the aftermath of military actions.

My older son runs one of the trauma teams at a major NYC private hospital, known among other fields of treatment, as one of the best for trauma responses in the city. He is busier than he has ever been. On an endless 24/7 call. He hasn't seen his children for three weeks, barely been able to spare the time to phone them every other day. It would seem to be reasonable that the semi-voluntary isolation would lead to a reduction of trauma, less crime, vehicle collisions, construction incidents, and so forth. However, domestic violence is through the roof, violent crimes are rising with a reduced police presence as police call in sick, home fires are increasing, construction is ongoing, people still suffer falls. When we spoke earlier today, he told me, among other patients, he treated a woman who cut off her thumb while preparing dinner for her family, a man who needed emergency surgery after tripping on a child's toy in his home, to relieve pressure on the brain from an internal skull hematoma. I could continue to list other causes, but the logic fails the reality. Rather sad as an expression of the human condition.

Emptying the prisons sure does not help matters, nor the years of abuse the NYP has suffered at the hands of political leadership.

Hold on to your hat....the security situation is sure to get bad/very bad.

Emptying the prisons sure does not help matters, nor the years of abuse the NYP has suffered at the hands of political leadership.

Hold on to your hat....the security situation is sure to get very bad.

Deblasio and the rest of the progressives who wanted bail reform are idiots. And the irony, the communities which are suffering the most are the poor and the minority communities these idiots are claiming to need justice. Yesterday, I could barely contain my laughter when I read AOL is demanding Corona virus reparations for minorities. Perhaps she should speak to Li Zhanshu, Chairman of the The National People's Congress of the People's Republic of China? I understand he needs a good laugh.

Deblasio and the rest of the progressives who wanted bail reform are idiots. And the irony, the communities which are suffering the most are the poor and the minority communities these idiots are claiming to need justice. Yesterday, I could barely contain my laughter when I read AOL is demanding Corona virus reparations for minorities. Perhaps she should speak to Li Zhanshu, Chairman of the The National People's Congress of the People's Republic of China? I understand he needs a good laugh.

We are all in the same boat....I am so sick of getting told recently that pandemics and depressions effect the Victim Culture Cults heroes the most.

USNS Comfort Hospital Ship Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 3 Patients. - The New York Times

“It’s a joke,” said a top hospital executive, whose facilities are packed with coronavirus patients.

Such were the expectations for the Navy hospital ship U.S.N.S. Comfort that when it chugged into New York Harbor this week, throngs of people, momentarily forgetting the strictures of social distancing, crammed together along Manhattan’s west side to catch a glimpse.

On Thursday, though, the huge white vessel, which officials had promised would bring succor to a city on the brink, sat mostly empty, infuriating executives at local hospitals. The ship’s 1,000 beds are largely unused, its 1,200-member crew mostly idle.
=====================================================
This is a Navy ship. I blame the Commander-in-Chief - Trump - for the lack of an adequate resonse here. 'I'm not responsible' - Donald Trump.
This is a poor attempt at being funny, right?

No. The CnC, the president is both a civilian and military authority. Only congress can declare war, but under subsequent legislation to our Constitution, the president has been granted war powers that do not require congressional approval. Obviously, this is now an issue of contention. However, congress has no authority beyond adjusting and approving overall military budgets, and granting the Congressional Medal of Honor, no authority over specific military activities. Congress may question or request those activities, yet questioning and requesting are not an exercises (? other than ego) of authority, and never has been. Perhaps we can view the position of congressional members similar to that of internet influencers. :)

Awkward myths? Technically we have a civilian military, not professional soldiers, another myth not even true during times of conscription. We do have career soldiers, sailors, Marines, West Point and Annapolis. Would you want a nonprofessional fighter pilot flying a modern $bil fighter jet armed with weapons of precision and mass destruction? Yes, a lowly private can deliver a payload of death with a drone, but again, not a non-professional.

1. The military is controlled by elected and appointed civilian officials. An irrefutable fact.

2. No such thing as “Congressional Medal of Honor”. It is, and always has been, the Medal of Honor. And the medal is not “granted”. Like all military decorations, it is awarded.

What horsecrap. I didn't ask you anything about Congress's role. I asked you if the military and in this instance the Navy, not under civilian authority. Seeing as though only non active military people (civilians) can hold either office the answer to my question is true.

It may have a lot to do with how some people use the emergency rooms.
With everyone mostly doing a shelter in place, fewer accidents, fewer shootings, ect.
Also people who might go to the emergency room for almost anything are staying away, for fear of exposure.

And elective procedures are cancelled.

Just saw a blurb that the Mercy - moored in LA - only has about 25 patients so far.

I'm not sure who makes the call where patients are sent. Probably not Trump, though.

Personally, I am shocked - shocked - to hear that government provided healthcare might be ineffective and inefficient.

Yes Trump's Govt. is even unable to manage supplies of ventilators so what we have can be used efficiently. I have never seen a more inept and cruel bunch of morons as the ones Trump has put in charge. He only hires people he is related to or are dumber than him apparently.

~ The hospital ships will take non-Wuhan virus patients as needed. Apparently the land hospitals are not transferring many patients. Why ...❓ ( perhaps they are not necessary yet. )

Back
Top Bottom