• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The “No Grinding” Policy

This is ridiculous. Controlling teenagers doesn't work. Either teens have been instilled with values they care about, or they will simply do whatever makes them feel good. You can't stop them. If "grinding" was all we were doing wrong when we were kids, our parents would have been much relieved!

Said the guy who isn't a parent and never wanted to be one. :mrgreen:

Bud, teenagers do indeed need to be controlled. You can teach them right all their lives, but still, if you get them in a crowd where certain things are going on, they may forget all that for the moment. They're teenagers, their brains aren't finished yet. Impulse control and consequence-analysis are still iffy functions.

The best way I could describe the dance is what a teacher later referred to it as a 'dry humping orgy.' .

But are you sure a teacher was really qualified to say that all the humping was dry?

I think the janitor who cleaned up afterwords might be in a better position to know for sure.

Your opinion on thos topic basically depends on what generation you are from. Older people think it is a great idea but the yougner people don't see what the problem is.

I cannot understand what all the fuss is about.

Youngsters will always dance in whatever manner they choose, they have always done this irrespective of how their parents and elders tut tut and mutter "Morals these days are going downhill fast", it is more that an older person's perception of youngster behaviour has changed.

I cannot understand what all the fuss is about.

Youngsters will always dance in whatever manner they choose, they have always done this irrespective of how their parents and elders tut tut and mutter "Morals these days are going downhill fast", it is more that an older person's perception of youngster behaviour has changed.

Exactly.
I figure if teenagers aren't shocking their elders, they're not doing their job properly (neither the teens nor the elders).

I think the administration should just enact an honest policy on grinding -- you know, something that reflects what they're really thinking, like a reciprocal grinding policy where someone who wants to grind on the dance floor has to grind the same number of adults as they do fellow students.

:mrgreen:

The problem lies with whether or not schools should support, encourage or turn a blind eye to typical teenage sexual curiosity and rebellion.

I'm not sure about the schools in New Zealand, but most schools in the US do have dress codes.

Most schools, and all high schools in New Zealand have uniforms, that is what I meant. Schools in the US should adopt uniform policies. Dress codes are in effect, as you say, but the student can and still does look trashy most of the time.

The policy is not only a fine decision, it is a great policy. Schools should take the next step and make dress codes. Not necessarily uniforms, but standards at the very least. Additionally, drill teams should not be allowed to dance as if they are having sex, that is ridiculous and sets a horrible double standard. I don't care if they watch that all day on MTV. Students are under the legal and moral care of adults until they are 18, then they can do whatever the **** they want, until then, they do as they are told. End of story.

Society is pathetic... and that is seriously ****ing up our future citizens, thus compounding the problem.

I would have thanked this post 100 times if I could have.:)

The only thing putting a policy in place against grinding does is make them want to do it more.

It's stupid.

If anything, once they break the rule for grinding they may as well go for the gold, right?

Draw lines in the sand - when and if they actually matter.

Grinding is the least of our problems at a school dance. I'm far more worried about the kid with three lines of blow and a pocket full of roofies.

The only thing putting a policy in place against grinding does is make them want to do it more.

It's stupid.

If anything, once they break the rule for grinding they may as well go for the gold, right?

Grinding is the least of our problems at a school dance. I'm far more worried about the kid with three lines of blow and a pocket full of roofies.

Agreed; choose your battles.
If they're not allowed to cut loose at least a little bit at the dance, they'll probably just leave the school premises and really cut loose.

It really seems that as long as the students are fully clothed, no harm's being done, and perhaps the school officials should just look the other way.
It seems inappropriate that they be patrolling the dance staring at students' crotches, anyway.

Bump and grind isn't dance, it's pantomime. Try the Latin Dances... classy and very sensual.

You ever tried dancing with a partner who offers no resistance at all? It doesn't work too well. Opposing pressures provide stability. When you are young it is a time for rebellion. If the adults don't give you anything to rebel against, it sucks the fun right out of the whole experience.

The kids are right to oppose the draconian rules of their elders, and the elders are right to impose their old fashioned common sense on the rebellious youth. This is how the world is supposed to work.

You ever tried dancing with a partner who offers no resistance at all? It doesn't work too well. Opposing pressures provide stability. When you are young it is a time for rebellion. If the adults don't give you anything to rebel against, it sucks the fun right out of the whole experience.

The kids are right to oppose the draconian rules of their elders, and the elders are right to impose their old fashioned common sense on the rebellious youth. This is how the world is supposed to work.

Right, because kids in the 50's didn't rebel at all... I mean, there was no grinding in the 50's, so there was no rebelling. Give me a break. :roll

It's stupid.

No... it is proper parenting/role modeling in reality. Hell, let's just do away with all rules and conseuences. ****. You want to shoot somebody, go ahead since making that illegal will just make kids want to kill the whole class instead of just the one kid. Talk about stupid.

And this is one of those cases.

Right, because those are the two choices. Ignore vandalism and theft, since they aren't doing drugs. Ignore swearing at a teacher, just words, I mean at least they aren't doing coke on the tabletop, right? Dude, your posts are hysterical.

It really seems that as long as the students are fully clothed, no harm's being done, and perhaps the school officials should just look the other way.
It seems inappropriate that they be patrolling the dance staring at students' crotches, anyway.

Reasonable as usual, ten. :)

No... it is proper parenting/role modeling in reality. Hell, let's just do away with all rules and conseuences. ****. You want to shoot somebody, go ahead since making that illegal will just make kids want to kill the whole class instead of just the one kid. Talk about stupid.

Right, because those are the two choices. Ignore vandalism and theft, since they aren't doing drugs. Ignore swearing at a teacher, just words, I mean at least they aren't doing coke on the tabletop, right? Dude, your posts are hysterical.

Wow. Deep end, much?

Reasonable as usual, ten. :)

I agree. I think it's interesting that you'd make that comment to Ten while making the comments you made to me however. Perhaps it's in the way I wrote it originally, though you certainly more than responded in kind. I do think it's interesting that Ten and I said the same thing, yet you seemed to have completely opposite reactions to it.

I agree. I think it's interesting that you'd make that comment to Ten while making the comments you made to me however.

It was likely sarcasm.
I don't think you comprehend the nature of our relationship.

Wow. Deep end, much?

I agree. I think it's interesting that you'd make that comment to Ten while making the comments you made to me however. Perhaps it's in the way I wrote it originally, though you certainly more than responded in kind. I do think it's interesting that Ten and I said the same thing, yet you seemed to have completely opposite reactions to it.

Sarcasm much? Think about it. Also, Ten and I have talked for 4 years or so, you and I? One day...

I think that all the adults in this forum are forgetting that they used to be teenagers, too. And we are not the generation that will forever be known as the drug-addicted hippies.

More to the point, I don't see the problems inherent with grinding. What's the big deal? For those of you who went to high school in the 60's or 70's - did you ever go to a dance? Compared to that, we'd be fine if we held our dances at convents.

images

Oops, I forgot to check the date on the last post. Sorry. :p

Back
Top Bottom