• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The ‘Nightmare Scenario’ Has Happened and You’re to Blame

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Trump’s withdrawal from from Syria is what military leaders feared — and exactly what he promised.

defense-large.jpg

By Kevin Baron
12/21/18

Five days before Donald Trump became president, I reported that U.S. elite troops and commanders were worried that the incoming commander in chief lacked the patience for the Obama Doctrine to work in Syria and Iraq. This week, Trump decided he’d seen enough and ordered U.S. troops to quit Syria. The president’s decision to abruptly end the mission was so far afield from the U.S. military’s core beliefs that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis tried to talk him out of it, failed, and surprised the president with an immediate resignation letter from his back pocket. The truth is Trump never knew what he wanted. He has no strategy or plan for the Middle East. And nobody knows why he made this decision now. Ever since the campaign trail, the brash businessman from New York who loved to armchair-quarterback the White House said he would defeat ISIS better and faster than Obama, but also that he would pull the U.S. out of the wars in the Middle East. Trump somehow managed to run on a promise of massive intervention and isolationism at the same time. And Americans bought it. Since he took office, national security leaders have warned the president time and again that he can’t have it both ways. They were able to convince the rookie commander in chief to listen to the generals and not retreat — not from Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Korea, or NATO. They held the president in check for 23 months. But in the Oval Office this week, Mattis finally lost. Stephen Miller, the president’s hyper-nationalist adviser, won.

The sad irony is that Mattis was already giving Trump what he wanted. The fights in Iraq and Syria were being conducted a la the Obama Doctrine, which addressed regional problems not with U.S. heavy divisions but with far smaller units of elite troops who recruit, train, and help local forces to fight for themselves and in America’s strategic interests. The U.S. found willing and able local fighters in Iraq to build a new and improved Iraqi army and elite counter-terrorism forces. In Syria, Kurds and Arabs joined the U.S.-led Syrian Democratic Forces, took back their lands, and today hold about half of Syria free from the Islamic State’s self-proclaimed caliphate. But by September 2017, U.S. special operations commanders on the ground were worried that their bosses in Washington would throw it all away. The State Department, they feared, would abandon the SDF to placate Turkey, which hates and fears the SDF, in order to safeguard larger U.S. nuclear, geopolitical, and strategic interests. “For their part, the U.S. special operators see them as partners who never leave a fight. And the mission, they say, doesn’t cost a lot for all that it offers America. We have a working partner here and that is a rarity in this part of the world.” And they say there is one scenario that could turn the situation from dream to nightmare: the U.S. abandons the Syrian Kurds. There’s no reason to think the next defense secretary will share Mattis’s views. There’s every reason to think Trump will pick someone who shares his own views and continue to pull America back from the world stage, just as he promised on the campaign trail and just as he restated he would do, this week. This is not just on Trump. This is on America. Jim Mattis is not the problem. You are.

The wisdom that military commanders attempted to impress upon Trump ... 'you can't have both security and isolationism'. Trump has now ordered US isolationism.

ISIS is not defeated. Trumps whimsical decision to flee Syria is a propaganda-bonanza for the radical Islamist groups incubating there. Recruitment will certainly swell.

It's only a question of time now until ISIS or al-Queda verifies the wisdom of US military commanders.

Isolationism only works when everybody else is also isolationist. To my knowledge, the only perfectly isolationist country is North Korea, and we can see how fabulously they're doing.

Trump’s withdrawal from from Syria is what military leaders feared — and exactly what he promised.

defense-large.jpg

The wisdom that military commanders attempted to impress upon Trump ... 'you can't have both security and isolationism'. Trump has now ordered US isolationism.

ISIS is not defeated. Trumps whimsical decision to flee Syria is a propaganda-bonanza for the radical Islamist groups incubating there. Recruitment will certainly swell.

It's only a question of time now until ISIS or al-Queda verifies the wisdom of US military commanders.

There are good and bad men in the military, including in the leadership. Too many older commanders under Obama proved themselves unwise for supporting Obama's homosexual a##-kissing policies. Why should we reject Trump's judgment. In favor of theirs?

Last edited:
There are good and bad men in the military, including in the leadership. Too many older commanders under Obama proved themselves unwise for supporting Obama's homosexual a##-kissing policies. Why should we reject Trump's judgment. In favor of theirs?

Because a billionaire draft-dodging New Yorker who sits on a gold toilet probably knows more about military strategy than career military officers?

I've noticed that people who think Donald Trump knows better than everyone else are the kinds of people who believe that everyone is stupid except them.

defense-large.jpg

Our best military leaders will never come close to the wisdom of The Gut...

Isolationism only works when everybody else is also isolationist. To my knowledge, the only perfectly isolationist country is North Korea, and we can see how fabulously they're doing.

Really, lets retreat and stop promoting the world's free democracies and let Trump's handler, Putin take our place. The cult and Putin couldn't be happier, it's a win-win...

Btw, everyone believes it's Trump's cult, but as he's subservient to Putin, wouldn't it actually be Putin's cult?

Last edited:
If we are going to continue our occupation from Iraq his plan makes sense. Iraq provides a supply line to them from the Persian gulf from naval support. If things flare up to the point that the local military is incapable of controlling, Iraq is good launching point and one that's more easily defended for us. I have said for years that it would makes sense to develop a Germany sized based there.

The base would not only offer the obvious security abilities. It would give stability to the region. It would offer an economic boost to the bases surrounding area. It would also give Americans and middle eastern cultures to interact on a social level. It would foster greater understanding for both and hopefully promote good will.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If we are going to continue our occupation from Iraq his plan makes sense. Iraq provides a supply line to them from the Persian gulf from naval support. If things flare up to the point that the local military is incapable of controlling, Iraq is good launching point and one that's more easily defended for us. I have said for years that it would makes sense to develop a Germany sized based there.

The base would not only offer the obvious security abilities. It would give stability to the region. It would offer an economic boost to the bases surrounding area. It would also give Americans and middle eastern cultures to interact on a social level. It would foster greater understanding for both and hopefully promote good will.

No it doesn't. For God sake....While we are in Iraq by invitation, we are there under very specific rules of engagement and rules of occupancy. Not only would I be surprised if Iraq allowed us to do what you suggest, once we leave Syria the only way back in will be by Putin's leave!

I was listening to FNC on the radio the other day and one commentator (sounded like Charles Paine) said, "the true Christmas miracle is that Trump convinvced the Liberals that military intervention is a good thing". :lamo

No it doesn't. For God sake....While we are in Iraq by invitation, we are there under very specific rules of engagement and rules of occupancy. Not only would I be surprised if Iraq allowed us to do what you suggest, once we leave Syria the only way back in will be by Putin's leave!
What makes you think we need Putin's permission?

Indeed. With Russian S-400 anti-air systems in place, it will be impossible to work over or on Syrian soil without Putin's approval.

Because a billionaire draft-dodging New Yorker who sits on a gold toilet probably knows more about military strategy than career military officers?

I've noticed that people who think Donald Trump knows better than everyone else are the kinds of people who believe that everyone is stupid except them.

You make a good point. Idiots who never ran a business in their life have condemned Trump for supposedly being stupid. Go figger.

Those leaders are the ones that got promoted to their "leadership" positions after Obama purged the military of about 200 military leaders that were not in line with his "thinking".

Ergo: the leaders that are unhappy with Trump's decision are the Obama mantra leaders.

I wish Trump would purge the military of the Obama ass-kisser leaders.

Mattis got fired twice - neither Obama nor Trump were happy with him.
Maybe Mattis' thinking was still stuck in the cold-war time of the 70's.

Those leaders are the ones that got promoted to their "leadership" positions after Obama purged the military of about 200 military leaders that were not in line with his "thinking".

Yes, yes we all know the drill. The legendary Deep State is picking on Trumpov.

Really, lets retreat and stop promoting the world's free democracies and let Trump's handler, Putin take our place. The cult and Putin couldn't be happier, it's a win-win...

Btw, everyone believes it's Trump's cult, but as he's subservient to Putin, wouldn't it actually be Putin's cult?

What free democracies are we promoting in Syria? We are kind of on the same side as President Assad's here. Or should we ally with ISIS in order to keep Putin from getting a bigger toehold in Syria?
Let us know.

What makes you think we need Putin's permission?

Because Assad is a puppet of Putin.
Of course, under USA law we would need Congress to approve any return to Syria.

But we could really make a lot of people happy hereabouts and put the screws to Russia and Putin: Just ally with ISIS and support their efforts to drive Russia out. Maybe they will in turn become friendly with the USA.

Then by all means let us support ISIS in Syria so we won't have this problem.

i say turn the entire middle east into a glass parking lot. wipe them off the face of the earth

Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'"

What free democracies are we promoting in Syria? We are kind of on the same side as President Assad's here. Or should we ally with ISIS in order to keep Putin from getting a bigger toehold in Syria?
Let us know.

You are so confused, our troops are in Syria to fight ISIS and Putin approves of Trump's cut and run strategy.

"Vladimir Putin Praises Trump's Decision to Withdraw U.S. Troops From Syria"

Other than getting his hand back all sticky, why wouldn't the murderer Putin give Trump a pat on his head? Manipulating America to retreat from anywhere and everywhere in the world creates a vacuum that'll be quickly filled by Vladimir. It's a small price to pay for a Moscow tower...

You are so confused, our troops are in Syria to fight ISIS and Putin approves of Trump's cut and run strategy.

"Vladimir Putin Praises Trump's Decision to Withdraw U.S. Troops From Syria"

Other than getting his hand back all sticky, why wouldn't the murderer Putin give Trump a pat on his head? Manipulating America to retreat from anywhere and everywhere in the world creates a vacuum that'll be quickly filled by Vladimir. It's a small price to pay for a Moscow tower...

And staying in Syria fighting ISIS means we are also allying with Russia ((ie Putin) who is also fighting (ostensibly) ISIS)) in Syria.
Pick your poison.

I get it that Russia has its own reasons why it would prefer to deal with the headache of dealing with ISIS, but that doesnt explain why the USA should help them out.

And staying in Syria fighting ISIS means we are also allying with Russia ((ie Putin) who is also fighting (ostensibly) ISIS)) in Syria.
Pick your poison.

I get it that Russia has its own reasons why it would prefer to deal with the headache of dealing with ISIS, but that doesnt explain why the USA should help them out.

If Putin actually believed that he was being helped by American troops in Syria, he wouldn't be praising his protégé for cutting and running.

Whatever the reason(s) are for Trump's acquiescence, a video, greed or fear of being exposed as a scumball, America will feel the brunt of Putin's attack on us and our elections so long Numnuts occupies the WH...

Back
Top Bottom