• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

That "Thing's a Baby"

What Is That Thing a Partial Birth Abortion Kills?

• A Baby

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • A Mass of Cells

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

Scarecrow Akhbar

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Even though some people want to define it differently, that thing stuck between the legs of the pregnant female awaiting the deadly pair of scissors approaching it's skull is a human baby.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Even though some people want to define it differently, that thing stuck between the legs of the pregnant female awaiting the deadly pair of scissors approaching it's skull is a human baby.

Eh... Baby what?

Oh human baby! Yeah sure is so?

Though some people want to define it differently Tookie's fate was state mandated murder.

Saboteur said:
Eh... Baby what?

Oh human baby! Yeah sure is so?

Though some people want to define it differently Tookie's fate was state mandated murder.

Jeez, you're fast. Read Post #1.:roll:

I believe that it is a baby because after conception it is injected with DNA, a fundamental component of what makes a human human. Just because something isn't developed (like not having thoughts, feelings, etc., or being more than a clump of cells) doesn't mean it isn't alive; it just means it's not developed yet.

Saboteur said:

Was Tookie's head stuck someplace it shouldn't have been?

Can we not stray from the poll on the first responding post, please?:doh

Hornburger said:
I believe that it is a baby because after conception it is injected with DNA, a fundamental component of what makes a human human. Just because something isn't developed (like not having thoughts, feelings, etc., or being more than a clump of cells) doesn't mean it isn't alive; it just means it's not developed yet.

My Toenails are alive because they have DNA

I DEMAND RIGHTS TO MY TOENAILS!

JOIN THE RIGHTS FOR TOENAILS FOUNDATION OF AMERICA.... ALL TOE NAILS SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS AND PROPERTY, AND THE RIGHT TO LIFE!

Save your toenails, because if you don't they will sufficate inside of a trash bag or in a landfill, and thats murder!

Both answers would be correct.

Technically we're all a mass of cells.

Caine said:
My Toenails are alive because they have DNA

I DEMAND RIGHTS TO MY TOENAILS!

JOIN THE RIGHTS FOR TOENAILS FOUNDATION OF AMERICA.... ALL TOE NAILS SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS AND PROPERTY, AND THE RIGHT TO LIFE!

Save your toenails, because if you don't they will sufficate inside of a trash bag or in a landfill, and thats murder!
...The DNA found inside your body, like in toenails and things of that nature, help determine who you are as a person. That toenail's DNA is human DNA, it is part of the person.

Not sure if I explained that very well (I'm no scientist) but I think DNA needs to be looked at when you ask if something is alive or not.

I thought at first he was referring to a penis. Echoes of John Wayne Bobbit flashed in my mind.

The Real McCoy said:
Both answers would be correct.

Technically we're all a mass of cells.

It's people like that that justifies any movement to shoot all lawyers.

Hornburger said:
...The DNA found inside your body, like in toenails and things of that nature, help determine who you are as a person. That toenail's DNA is human DNA, it is part of the person.

Not sure if I explained that very well (I'm no scientist) but I think DNA needs to be looked at when you ask if something is alive or not.

Negative... Dried blood at a crime scene has DNA...
Dried blood is not alive.

The DNA can help determine which species something belongs to. Yes, a human fetus may have the DNA to determine that it belongs to the Homo-Sapien species. But is that what truly makes us worthy of "Rights" ? Does the presence of Homosapien DNA give an underdeveloped organism rights? I don't think that is the basis of our rights as human beings.

And, about this Human DNA, Because children born with Down's Syndrome have an extra chromosome than the normal Human, Does this make them not human? Do they not have the right to life?

This is the only abortion I am against, if you must, at least do it quickly for heavens sake. Any doctor that preforms these "procedures" should really question their role as "life savers":roll:

Caine said:
Negative... Dried blood at a crime scene has DNA...
Dried blood is not alive.
Well...I'm not saying DNA is the only thing you have to look at when determining if something is alive. There is also things like the organism must generate energy in some way. If it has DNA, that fulfills one of the requirements for life.

The DNA can help determine which species something belongs to. Yes, a human fetus may have the DNA to determine that it belongs to the Homo-Sapien species. But is that what truly makes us worthy of "Rights" ? Does the presence of Homosapien DNA give an underdeveloped organism rights? I don't think that is the basis of our rights as human beings.
Our basis of rights as human beings lie in the fact that we ARE human; it doesn't depend what KIND of human you are. You are still human, you are still alive, you still have that individuality that makes you you. That DNA seperates you from every single other organism on this planet. I think that has to be protected.

And, about this Human DNA, Because children born with Down's Syndrome have an extra chromosome than the normal Human, Does this make them not human? Do they not have the right to life?
There is a degree of difference between different peoples and races and such. But there the DNA is similar enough in basic structure so that such people are all human. It is a matter of how similar the structures really are...if they are really different, the organism just won't have the makeup of a human being.

Who cares? The fact that the English language uses two dichotomous words "fetus" and "baby" doesn't mean that it suddenly becomes conscious and deserving of a right to life at any moment. There needs to be a legal cutoff and birth seems like the most appropriate place for that cutoff.

Scarecrow, would you consider a two-celled zygote to be a "baby" also?

Kandahar said:
Who cares? The fact that the English language uses two dichotomous words "fetus" and "baby" doesn't mean that it suddenly becomes conscious and deserving of a right to life at any moment. There needs to be a legal cutoff and birth seems like the most appropriate place for that cutoff.

Does that mean you support partial birth abortions?

Hornburger said:
Our basis of rights as human beings lie in the fact that we ARE human; it doesn't depend what KIND of human you are. You are still human, you are still alive, you still have that individuality that makes you you. That DNA seperates you from every single other organism on this planet. I think that has to be protected.
Its nice to know that you think that anything with similar DNA deserves the rights that everything else has, in this case... My Blood is the KIND of Human that it is, an thus, deserves rights, because once it is out of my body it is an entity independant of me. The DNA Thoery is the weakest form of Argument against Abortion.....

Hornberger said:
There is a degree of difference between different peoples and races and such. But there the DNA is similar enough in basic structure so that such people are all human. It is a matter of how similar the structures really are...if they are really different, the organism just won't have the makeup of a human being.

So having an entire extra chromosome is similar enough to you?

By the way, from your response it seems you think Down's syndrome is a race of people... which I know you HAVE to know what Down's syndrome is... if not ... do me a favor and look it up.

The Real McCoy said:

Nice wording....

Its not SUPPORT of partial birth abortion...
Its the SUPPORT of the right for a woman to chose to have an abortion.

The way some pro-life views are worded, its almost trying to play mind tricks on people, so that when they give thier answers they are looked upon as Abortion Loving people who go around trying to kill everyone's babies. There is a reason it is called pro-choice, not pro-abortion.

The Real McCoy said:

I support the continued legalization of partial birth abortions, yes. I don't "support" or "oppose" the procedure itself because it's none of my business.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
If the question is between the legs, I'd have to say it's not a baby. But my knowedge of anatomy is finite. :mrgreen:

Caine said:
Its nice to know that you think that anything with similar DNA deserves the rights that everything else has, in this case... My Blood is the KIND of Human that it is, an thus, deserves rights, because once it is out of my body it is an entity independant of me. The DNA Thoery is the weakest form of Argument against Abortion.....
Well, wouldn't DNA be a key factor in determining what is life and what isn't? Your blood does not need energy and things like that...a fetus does...something must have DNA in order to be alive, but it also must have energy, one of the requirements for life.

How would you define when something is alive?

So having an entire extra chromosome is similar enough to you?
Well, it HAS to be similar enough or else it wouldn't be human. All I know is that science says that Homo Sapiens all have similar DNA, so their DNA would have to be fairly similar, extra chromosome or not...I am no scientist, again.

By the way, from your response it seems you think Down's syndrome is a race of people... which I know you HAVE to know what Down's syndrome is... if not ... do me a favor and look it up.
lol, I know its a disorder, I was just saying another example.

Mods - Move to Abortion Thread

Mods - can you move this to the abortion thread?

Re: Mods - Move to Abortion Thread

hipsterdufus said:

It's a poll professor.:roll:

Kandahar said:

Can a zygote get stuck between a woman's legs? More importantly, would she notice?

But I'm going to stick to the topic I started. If I don't, who will? I'll certainly admit I'm against abortion on demand at any stage of pregnancy (while also conceding that most birth control pills don't prevent ovulation so much as inhibit implantation, ie they're an abortifacient, not a contraceptive), but the pro-abortion crowd's defense of this one heinous procedure seperates the dykes from the men on this issue.

This poll arose because some people won't accept any limits on abortion. Specifically Steen is quibbling over the definition of the word "baby".

I say that thing stuck there is a baby, and deserves protection. Given the state of technology, you're probably right, and in the real world there should be a limit beyond which the fetus is granted the protection against murder all other human beings are accorded. IMO that's after fertilization and before the first cell division...:roll:, but if that's unreasonable, as many will argue, it's definitely even more unreasonable to set that limit to a millisecond before physical separation from the mother.

That's like telling ole' Tookie he's free to go, then shooting him just after he's got one foot out the gate but before he lifts the other.

hipsterdufus said:
Mod Note

Polls stay in the poll forum regardless of their subject. Not sure why we do that, but it seems to be the standard.

/Mod Note

shuamort said:
Mod Note

Polls stay in the poll forum regardless of their subject. Not sure why we do that, but it seems to be the standard.

/Mod Note

It's o.k, he was probably too busy telling his students to pay attention, but I digress.;)

Back
Top Bottom