• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thanksgiving and Politics

Do you discuss politics at the TG table

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
If you have a family like mine, both biological and through marriage, you talk politics. And, almost no one agrees. But, these days, the old standard disagreements go viral. Feelings get hurt. People threaten to leave. Future visits are sworn off. Good stuff, especially when the booze flows.

So, how do these holidays play out on your end?

If you have a family like mine, both biological and through marriage, you talk politics. And, almost no one agrees. But, these days, the old standard disagreements go viral. Feelings get hurt. People threaten to leave. Future visits are sworn off. Good stuff, especially when the booze flows.

Time to take a good long look at yourself in the mirror. Your TDS is tiresome, even to those who don't care for Trump. Most of them would prefer you to just shut up and eat your damn Turkey.

We did one year and it was rough, so we no longer do it.
We don't talk religion either.

Our get-togethers are fairly small though, so they are more easily controlled. Those huge family get-togethers with booze, man, I almost wish I could be a fly on the wall for that on occasion, has to be entertaining :p

WTF????

Why on earth would an educated family speak of religion or politics at a holiday table?

I just don't get it.

Time to take a good long look at yourself in the mirror. Your TDS is tiresome, even to those who don't care for Trump. Most of them would prefer you to just shut up and eat your damn Turkey.

50-plus year traditions are hard to shake. I still remember my older cousin going at it with my dad over Nixon, MLK and Vietnam. Good times.

Well personally, I eat food and then go off and walk by myself or play some games.

I don't talk/discuss much, I avoid it.

No, none, zip and nada.

We talk about everything BUT politics.

Many moons ago, before divisive politics, we heard many times that the conversation gave way to the clinking of cutlery, once the starting flag went down. Best advice is to fill the plates and enjoy your family!

WTF????

Why on earth would an educated family speak of religion or politics at a holiday table?

I just don't get it.

Good question. But, no matter what the issue, it always rolls its way to politics. Years ago it was the economy, where a discussion about anything financial segued into politics. But, the core of the problem is that TG almost always follows after a controversial election. 2000 was epic. We were in CT, as I celebrated it with my 2nd wife's family. And, that was even more explosive than the debates at the table we had in my family. Her uncle and his son went at it. I was expecting fisticuffs. But, everyone chilled out eventually.

Many moons ago, before divisive politics, we heard many times that the conversation gave way to the clinking of cutlery, once the starting flag went down. Best advice is to fill the plates and enjoy your family!

Good point. Most of the hostilities happen pre-meal. Once the food hits the table, we all focus on what's important.

Good question. But, no matter what the issue, it always rolls its way to politics. Years ago it was the economy, where a discussion about anything financial segued into politics. But, the core of the problem is that TG almost always follows after a controversial election. 2000 was epic. We were in CT, as I celebrated it with my 2nd wife's family. And, that was even more explosive than the debates at the table we had in my family.

I just can't imagine having mom dad, grandma, kids around the table yelling and raging. I am lucky to come from a family that just simply does not do such things. I could not be a part of a family that did.

No judgement, we all evolve different, it's would simply be a non negotiable for me.

Well personally, I eat food and then go off and walk by myself or play some games.

I don't talk/discuss much, I avoid it.

Walking is the best thing to do after a big meal. That and a nap. One joy of having TG at my house is that I can escape with the dogs after dinner, and then sneak off to nap on the day bed. :)

Good point. Most of the hostilities happen pre-meal. Once the food hits the table, we all focus on what's important.

......and alcohol; although that can calm or stoke things.......ya never know!

Nope...Four generations ranging in age from 2 years old to 66 years old. All colors and creeds. We leave those topics alone at holiday gatherings.

Yes but it is usually a small group for Thanksgiving so it doesn't tend to get out of hand.

WTF????

I just don't get it.

It only works if everyone feels the same way, which is rare. A good share of my family lean left, some by a lot. I lean right and my daughter's husband's family tilt far more to the right than I do. We pretty much don't talk religion or politics at the table and I do them all a favor before the meal by running interference keeping this part of the family occupied with right sided politics while everyone else can be at peace. But, since I am moderate and not far right, it gets tiring for me to run this interference.

That's just it. Sharing Tday with your family is what is important, not obsessing over every word that Trump says.

We are just taking our bikes to Carlsbad, CA for the weekend. Gonna ride, drink beer, smoke some legal stuff and be happy.

Why would anyone mess up a good meal and football talking about Trump.

Even a family of Protologists don't talk assholes everyday.

I thought football was being boycotted by some? Taking a knee still a problem?

I honestly don't see any evidence of how his OP is tainted with TDS.

I honestly don't see any evidence of how his OP is tainted with TDS.

Didn't realize my post could be misinterpreted. I didn't mean this particular post was infected with TDS. I was merely saying that Calamity makes many posts which are infected with TDS on a very regular basis so if his family is also tired of all of his TDS talk it would explain his description of how his holiday gatherings go. Hence, my suggestion that he should take a long look in the mirror and that maybe much of the disagreements he suffers at holiday events might have a lot to do with himself and that maybe if he would just shut up himself then maybe these times would go a lot smoother.

Thanksgiving and Politics

not anymore, and not for quite some time. life is too short to have a worthless debate with loved ones about things that we'll never agree about.

Last edited:
I would put talking about politics at Thanksgiving right up there with talking about explosive diarrhea. Why spoil a great meal.

Didn't realize my post could be misinterpreted. I didn't mean this particular post was infected with TDS. I was merely saying that Calamity makes many posts which are infected with TDS on a very regular basis so if his family is also tired of all of his TDS talk it would explain his description of how his holiday gatherings go. Hence, my suggestion that he should take a long look in the mirror and that maybe much of the disagreements he suffers at holiday events might have a lot to do with himself and that maybe if he would just shut up himself then maybe these times would go a lot smoother.

well I judged the post based on what was in the post-not the history of the poster-hence our disagreement. In our family, it depends who shows up. One brother is a hard core Hillary fan boy, the other is in the middle (he voted for McCain and Romney and Clinton-his wife is a interesting case of a self loathing debutante) and then there is me and my wife. One nephew is a gunsmith he's far right, another is a Green Beret Major-even more right, but one of the brother's in law is the son of two UAW activists. its interesting.

Back
Top Bottom