• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thanksgiving and I'll be...

Will you respect the CDC guidelines for Thanksgiving?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

noonereal

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Thursday is Thanksgiving and the CDC has asked that we all celebrate with only our household members.
They have asked that we don't all congregate as usual with extended family and friends.
Will you be respecting the CDC guidelines or will you "fudge" a bit and see your kids, parents or someone very close to you who doesn't live with you?
Or will you say **** it, it's a holiday and I going to do as always?

Thursday is Thanksgiving and the CDC has asked that we all celebrate with only our household members.
They have asked that we don't all congregate as usual with extended family and friends.
Will you be respecting the CDC guidelines or will you "fudge" a bit and see your kids, parents or someone very close to you who doesn't live with you?
My family doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving but the neighborhood people do. Though they won't invite anyone over and just celebrate with friends. It's not too hard to do a distanced holiday because video calling exists

I will have my celebratory meal on Wednesday (Cheesecake Factory takeout) so I can watch football on Thursday. Then after the Cowboys game, I can eat leftovers.

Never had a huge social crowd to begin with, so I doubt I'd have to change much even if I was particularly concerned (which I'm not). In any case, most of my extended family lives more than 500 miles away, and is still working, so they won't be here. They may make an appearance for Christmas, however.

My wife actually works for her aunt here in town, however, so she and some of the people she lives with will likely be here.

Ai mate, just me wife and me dog. From what I hear on the news "50 million off to visit relatives"..it might be a Covid-19 Christmas for a lot of souls. Damn..
Who cares if you get a cold. The mortality rate is lower than that of the flu.

We're compromising. We usually spend Thanksgiving with my wife's extended family, which everyone involved agreed wasn't a great idea this year. So that's canceled and we're just going to see my parents, my sister, and her husband. We might drop by to see my grandparents and take them some food if they're comfortable with it.

Who cares if you get a cold? The mortality rate is lower than that of the flu.

What makes you think COVID-19 is the same thing as a mild viral disease caused by a totally different virus that everyone gets?

I'll be Partyin' like it's 1999 !!! the more the merrier !
Confused gubmnt bureaucrats don't run my life... I do !
I know better that which is best for me and mine.
Those you do not see now, may not be here next year... or next week; I will not regret the error of not seeing my loved ones and friends...

We have an extended family situation that requires additional support. A sibling of mine is dealing with postpartum depression (our state, sadly, does not provide much of any support for women with these particular struggles) and we provide support for them and the kids. For all intents and purposes, week after week, they are part of our "core." It's going to be a much smaller gathering this year because of COVID, but we are still talking 8 people.

I have family in NYC, and Best Friends in California.

I have no plans to go to NYC because it is a mess with Governor Cuomo and Mayor De Blasio's fanatical authoritarian governments

I planned to go to Cali. But Governor Newsom is also being a "tool" of authoritarianism.

So I'll just stay home and do my own thing.

My "household" consists of me and my housemate, and I've been visiting my immediate family (parents, brothers) 1-4 times a month about a 30 min drive away.
So far none of us have gotten sick, and we'll be doing the same for Thanksgiving, with a couple extra people.
For a total of about 12.

In my case, I haven't left my apartment in the past 2 weeks or so.
I'm lucky that I can work from home.
And afford to have stuff delivered.

Just the three of us. I have been preparing sides for our homeless-veterans shelter for the last few weeks. Tomorrow is is stuffing and mashed potato day, which is my favorite. Being creative with stuffing and peeling potatoes is an act of love.

I have a large family and we are not doing the 20+ Thanksgiving meal. Most of us knew this prior to the spike, but we had a couple of family members who stated, "I won't let a virus dictate my life" and tried to get everyone together. These two literally would not hear that no one else wanted to do this until the nurse in the family said no. Even then, they are P.O.'ed about us not wanting to.

Sadly, I have another reason that also cannot be argued with: my wife's youngest sister and her entire family (including my 5yo niece and most likely my 2yo nephew who is too young to be tested but has a fever like everyone else) have COVID-19. I just delivered groceries to their door, called and backed up 10 feet; they look like hell and could barely move the groceries indoors. And these people are younger and are under no health risks. This is not a hoax.

99.96 survival chances

And there are continuing side effects for many who had COVID that still plagues them for months afterwards.

Those who die are often the elderly or those who are in high risk groups such as having diabetes (34.2 million Americans) or heart disease (30.3 million). There are 328.2 million people in the US. That's 20% of the population who have the risk of dying over healthier people. And we haven't even talked about all the other diseases and such that Americans are suffering from that makes them more vulnerable to COVID (like my wife's MS).

And lastly, tell it to the 225,000 who have died while aprox. 62,000 have died of the flu.

And there are continuing side effects for many who had COVID that still plagues them for months afterwards.

Those who die are often the elderly or those who are in high risk groups such as having diabetes (34.2 million Americans) or heart disease (30.3 million). There are 328.2 million people in the US. That's 20% of the population who have the risk of dying over healthier people. And we haven't even talked about all the other diseases and such that Americans are suffering from that makes them more vulnerable to COVID (like my wife's MS).

And lastly, tell it to the 225,000 who have died while aprox. 62,000 have died of the flu.
So should all holidays be banned to protect the 62,000 once coronavirus is over? If it saves just one life wouldn’t permanent lockdown be worth it?
“Tell it to the people who died” is sophistry and displays an inability to actually reason issues.

If we look at what it is currently it's less likely cause you any problems than the flu is. today isn't 8 months ago so you can't use numbers from then and say it's just as deadly now as it was then.

The rate at which people die is extremely low currently in the rate at which people have any lingering side effects extremely low lower than the flu.

I know you guys want to believe everything your Masters in the media tell you is true but I'm not going to fall for it.

I’ll be home alone with the wife and dogs and will be happy as a clam because of it.

I have family in NYC, and Best Friends in California.

I have no plans to go to NYC because it is a mess with Governor Cuomo and Mayor De Blasio's fanatical authoritarian governments

I planned to go to Cali. But Governor Newsom is also being a "tool" of authoritarianism.

So I'll just stay home and do my own thing.

Wow. Supposedly refusing to visit friends and family, not because of the pandemic that is destroying our country, but because you are so politically obsessed you'd shun seeing your own family and friends because you don't like the governor.

Tell me what happens if you get in a bad car accident and the hospital is overwhelmed with Covid patients? It's already happening all over the country.

Your attitude is pure selfishness. Trump is gone. Start thinking like an adult.

My "household" consists of me and my housemate, and I've been visiting my immediate family (parents, brothers) 1-4 times a month about a 30 min drive away.
So far none of us have gotten sick, and we'll be doing the same for Thanksgiving, with a couple extra people.
For a total of about 12.

In my case, I haven't left my apartment in the past 2 weeks or so.
I'm lucky that I can work from home.
And afford to have stuff delivered.

This makes you a fudger which I think is what most Americans will do.

Personally I just don't understand how people cannot sacrifice one holiday for the greater good.

People, a failed species.

I would be fine with this IF there was a registry and those that choice to be irresponsible were not permitted to tie up doctors or hospitals.
But no, they are the first to run to teh ER to **** up everyone else.

Selfish ignorant lot is what they are.

FYI, only in idiot TRumpland is the mortality rate lower than the flu.

Back
Top Bottom