• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thanksgiving and I'll be...

Will you respect the CDC guidelines for Thanksgiving?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's probably covid-19 related. I never said it wasn't.
How many people die from the flu? Next to none. Like COVID-19, and HIV (well, in the past), people don't die from these viruses. They die from complications of the viruses.

How many people die from the flu?
if we're going to compare apples to apples we need to go by the Spanish flu when it first broke out. Estimated 50 million people worldwide. 675,000 in the US.

Don't forget to compare apples to mud tires like you wish to do then flu doesn't seem like that big a deal
Next to none. Like COVID-19, and HIV (well, in the past), people don't die from these viruses. They die from complications of the viruses.
when they first broke out yes I guarantee you panicking and destroying economies didn't help.

you are teh one that claimed they were making things COVID deaths to get extra money, too late to run away from it now
Never said anything like that. I said they can assume that it's covid-19 related. And the incentive of not having to take on the burden of their hospital bills probably influences that assumption.

This isn't a conspiracy theory I got this information from the CDC themselves a conspiracy with me that they didn't have it there.

This assumes the people who work in the medical field are human beings. I know you elevated them too a level of deity but I do not.

as with every death.

no he would not have since he would not have tested positive for COVID because he never left his house to come in contact with anyone that had it

then why are you whining about how they count the deaths if you know that they do this for everything? Very dishonest of you.
Who said I was whining don't project your inadequacies on me.

My family is hundreds of miles away, and all on lockdown. My wife is a nurse, and is working graveyard shift on Thanksgiving.

I imagine I will be having takeout alone for Thanksgiving dinner.

if we're going to compare apples to apples we need to go by the Spanish flu when it first broke out. Estimated 50 million people worldwide. 675,000 in the US.

Only problem with this is the many health advances we have had since then (e.g. supplemental oxygen, ventilators, antibiotics to stave off secondary infections, etc.). You can't compare mortality rates of a 1918 virus to that of a 2019 virus.

Over 250k dead of the flu, eh?

In just over 9 months with mask wearing and many businesses not operating close to 100% if they are still open for business. Plus less people coming to work sick or staying at work sick. Less people allowed to do anything sick.

Original Plan: 7 people; hosted in a nearby cousin's home with her husband. Guests to include her brother and his spouse flying down from Maryland, my brother driving 120 miles from Orlando, my dad and me.

Revised Plan: 3 people; my brother, our dad and me (host).

Wife and Godson not attending due to work commitments.

Only problem with this is the many health advances we have had since then (e.g. supplemental oxygen, ventilators, antibiotics to stave off secondary infections, etc.). You can't compare mortality rates of a 1918 virus to that of a 2019 virus.
I am comparing an outbreak to an outbreak and yes I can compare it I just did.

Compared to other outbreaks this one is extremely mild 94% of the people that died from it were in pretty fragile health anyway.

Also the pandemic of 1918 was several orders of magnitude wworth keep in mind 50 million minutes a bigger percentage of the population than it is now.

Ventilators don't save lives they're just a means to slow down death. Basically but if you get put on the ventilator you're probably going to die before you get taken off of it and this was true before covid.

I am comparing an outbreak to an outbreak and yes I can compare it I just did.

Compared to other outbreaks this one is extremely mild 94% of the people that died from it were in pretty fragile health anyway.

Also the pandemic of 1918 was several orders of magnitude wworth keep in mind 50 million minutes a bigger percentage of the population than it is now.

Ventilators don't save lives they're just a means to slow down death. Basically but if you get put on the ventilator you're probably going to die before you get taken off of it and this was true before covid.
At first maybe, not so much now as they learn.

This isn't a conspiracy theory I got this information from the CDC themselves a conspiracy with me that they didn't have it there.

It is not the fault of the CDC that you are not smart enough to understand their statements....that is all on you.

his assumes the people who work in the medical field are human beings. I know you elevated them too a level of deity but I do not.

Considering my wife is working in the COVID unit as I type this, yes I do need view her that way. The very idea she would falsify on official document
so her hospital could have a few extra bucks is rather offensive.

you are just a fountain of false information.

Who cares if you get a cold. The mortality rate is lower than that of the flu.
The coronavirus is far more dangerous than Ebola and no flu has a 4% death rate. They are all under 1%

The SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes Covid-19 illness surpassed a grim milestone in early July. The number of deaths from Covid-19 in Africa—more than 11,950—exceeded the total number of people who died during the largest-ever Ebola outbreak in West Africa, according to the World Health Organization.
How could this be? How could a disease that usually kills greater than 60% of its victims be outgunned by Covid-19, which “only” kills about approximately 4% of its victims, by the latest numbers.
Ultimately, though, a disease like Covid-19 that has a lower fatality rate, on average, in a single patient, can actually kill more people based on simple math. More people infected translates to more deaths. This is where Covid-19 wins hands down, and the reason that the recent surge in cases across parts of the United States is so dangerous. The more people are infected and contagious, the more people will die.
Here’s a simple calculation that explains this:
In the largest Ebola outbreak in West Africa, there were 28,616 cases of Ebola virus disease and 11,310 deaths, for a death rate of 39.5% (low compared to historic death rates for Ebola Zaire).
If we only had 28,616 cases of COVID-19, at the current death rate of 4.1%, that would translate to 1,173 deaths. But, when you have nearly 600 times as many cases across the world (more than 17.1 million at the time of this writing), because SARS-CoV-2 virus spreads efficiently and we have failed to contain it, even though the death rate is “only” around 4%, that translates to the current number of 669,000 deaths worldwide. As I have said before, infectious disease epidemiology is not rocket science. A ninth grader doing basic algebra could perform that same calculation. Other countries have figured this out. Why hasn’t the United States?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/corona...ious-disease-doctor-explains/?sh=2b5cb182f734

It is not the fault of the CDC that you are not smart enough to understand their statements....that is all on you.
Which of their statements did I not understand?

Considering my wife is working in the COVID unit as I type this, yes I do need view her that way. The very idea she would falsify on official document
so her hospital could have a few extra bucks is rather offensive.
Didn't say she would falsify anything. I'm sorry you're offended by your strawman fallacy but that isn't really my problem.

you are just a fountain of false information.
Well the information I have been pointing to came straight firm the CDC. So is the CDC a conspiracy to you?

Well the information I have been pointing to came straight firm the CDC. So is the CDC a conspiracy to you?

ok then, feel free to show me where the CDC said this..... Basically but if you get put on the ventilator you're probably going to die before you get taken off of it and this was true before covid.

The coronavirus is more dangerous than Ebola and no flu has a 4% death rate. They are all under 1%
Covid-19 doesn't have a 4% death rate among normal healthy people. It's less than 0.1%.

If you have stage four lung cancer, chronic advanced COPD, congestive heart failure and so forth, you should probably be careful but then again you probably should be all the time. The flu, the common cold are probably something you should worry about.

ok then, feel free to show me where the CDC said this..... Basically but if you get put on the ventilator you're probably going to die before you get taken off of it and this was true before covid.
Didn't know you were referring to that statement. That wasn't something I read from the CDC. It's something doctors say. I trust them over some nobody on the internet, sorry.

It's something doctors say. I trust them over some nobody on the internet, sorry.

then back it up...seems simple enough if the "doctors" are saying it.

Personally I think you just made it up and I know for a fact it is not true.

At first maybe, not so much now as they learn.

The waves are caused by moronic lockdowns. That doesn't work clearly.

Doubtful that it was medical practices that slowed it down. It was probably mostly The fragile people dying off from it early. It is very mild in general asking people who aren't in fragile health.

then back it up...seems simple enough if the "doctors" are saying it.
Why? What good would that do me?
Personally I think you just made it up and I know for a fact it is not true.
If you did you wouldn't ask for me to back it up. I know for a fact the Earth isn't flat. I don't ask flat earthers for back up if their claims because I know for a fact that they're false. I don't argue with them.

So when you say you know something for a fact who are you trying to convince?

Covid-19 doesn't have a 4% death rate among normal healthy people. It's less than 0.1%.

If you have stage four lung cancer, chronic advanced COPD, congestive heart failure and so forth, you should probably be careful but then again you probably should be all the time. The flu, the common cold are probably something you should worry about.
So people over 65 are not "normal people"? Age is the strongest predictor and older people get it from the young.

d41586-020-02483-2_18319834.png

Well, it's encouraging that 80% of us are following the suggestions for a quiet holiday.

I wish each and every one of you, regardless of plans, a very Happy Thanksgiving.

So people over 65 are not "normal people"? Age is the strongest predictor and older people get it from the young.

d41586-020-02483-2_18319834.png
You are mistaking correlation for causation. If you have cardio pulmonary disease or advanced COPD you are likely more advanced in age. Generally someone in their 30s- 50s is in better condition than someone in their late 60s.

Back
Top Bottom