• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thanks ObamaCare!

Trippy Trekker

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
60 year old male w/ pre-existing conditions.
Insurance Coverage - Florida Blue Select (1456C, basically the ObamaCare Silver Plan)
Premium- My wife and I pay a very affordable monthly premium... in part, because we have increased flexibility on our income level due to self-employment.
Procedure- Prostate TURP. My large prostate, 99th percentile in size before the successful surgery, required a Urological/Surgical procedure more invasive than gentle laser surgery. I spent two nights in the hospital well taken care of by the hospital staff.
Post Surgery Recovery estimated to take about 6 weeks.
My total Out of Pocket estimated at less than 1K for what I believe would have cost me at least 25K w/o insurance.
Thank you ObamaCare! I remain skeptical about future GOPcare/TrumpCare.

You should really be thanking your fellow Americans who are likely picking up the tab.

Procedure- Prostate TURP. My large prostate, 99th percentile in size before the successful surgery, required a Urological/Surgical procedure more invasive than gentle laser surgery. I spent two nights in the hospital well taken care of by the hospital staff.
Ouch.
I'm glad things turned out okay for you.....but, still....ouch.

My total Out of Pocket estimated at less than 1K for what I believe would have cost me at least 25K w/o insurance.
That's less than my hernia surgery cost me.

I remain skeptical about future GOPcare/TrumpCare.
Likewise.
On the other hand, since the GOP has had 6 years to work on their replacement plan, it should be pretty good.:roll:
Donald has said his plan will be..."terrific, really.... I've got good people....really terrific people working on this".
We'll see.

Insurance Coverage - Florida Blue Select (1456C, basically the ObamaCare Silver Plan)
Premium- My wife and I pay a very affordable monthly premium... in part, because we have increased flexibility on our income level due to self-employment.

Checked into a local hospital on a Wednesday morning. Back at home that Friday afternoon recovering.

Attachments

• Prostate Surgery.jpg
    Prostate Surgery.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 73
You should really be thanking your fellow Americans who are likely picking up the tab.

Who picks up the tab when people like me go bankrupt paying 60K a year on prescription medications? If I'm denied coverage when the ACA is repealed due to my auto immune disease, are you going to pay for that because it's wrong for the government to insure people who need insurance? I'm sure you'll be much happier then. Oh, or I can just go out and get a job that pays $120K a year. Since I have a disability I should be required to make 5 times the national mean income.

Who picks up the tab when people like me go bankrupt paying 60K a year on prescription medications? If I'm denied coverage when the ACA is repealed due to my auto immune disease, are you going to pay for that because it's wrong for the government to insure people who need insurance? I'm sure you'll be much happier then. Oh, or I can just go out and get a job that pays $120K a year. Since I have a disability I should be required to make 5 times the national mean income.

Explain to me how your disability grants you first mortgage on my, or anyone elses, existence.

Hey, Trippy! Remember what's-his-name? You didn't think he'd make it. I did? He backed out. You win, you little brat. ;)

im sorry you are in this predicament, Mustachio.

Explain to me how your disability grants you first mortgage on my, or anyone elses, existence.

Empathy. Look it up. Embrace it. The alternative is sociopath.

Explain how your mortgage grants you my entire life. Because I'll be disabled or bankrupt without insurance (if the ACA is not repealed and simultaneously replaced, this will be the case). And for me, your bill would come to about .00001 cents per year. That will be a hard road for you.

I get it. Your money is more important than mine. Because you're you. It's like when you're driving next to somebody going too slow. They need to be run off the road. What's important is you, not them.

Empathy. Look it up. Embrace it. The alternative is sociopath.
So according to you, empathy trumps rights. You may want to rethink that.

im sorry you are in this predicament, Mustachio.

Thank you, I read the forum a lot and I can't imagine what some people are going through. I'm not discreet, but for those who are, it shows tremendous strength of character and resolve. I could be much worse off (figuratively, but in the near future that's pretty literal) and your words mean a lot to me.

Explain how your mortgage grants you my entire life. Because I'll be disabled or bankrupt without insurance (if the ACA is not repealed and simultaneously replaced, this will be the case). And for me, your bill would come to about .00001 cents per year. That will be a hard road for you.

I get it. Your money is more important than mine. Because you're you. It's like when you're driving next to somebody going too slow. They need to be run off the road. What's important is you, not them.
Nice rant, but you didn't answer the question.

Yeah, too bad we can't check out anything you wrote.

Yeah, too bad we can't check out anything you wrote.

Even if he did have evidence proving him right you still wouldn't care.

Even if he did have evidence proving him right you still wouldn't care.

The general consensus is a total dislike for Obamacare. Skyrocketing premiums and deductibles.

It's stories like these and comments like Fletch's that has kept me in Canada and always made me question the 'greatness" of the US. Several times in broadcasting I had opportunities to go south for bigger pay, but once I worked out insurance costs I was making less.

They sure have been able to create some boogie men about universal health care. In all the years I have worked I never paid much more in taxes, sometimes less than what I would have made when the cost of insurance is added. To this day there are still reasoned Americans who believe a string of lies and exaggerations about the health system.

As an aside, I have been getting some heart tests done. A week ago Saturday I dropped a large knight on the top of my foot. I couldn't stop the bleeding so called 911. They got there in about five, and immediately found an exelerated heart rate, and bang, I was in emerge, sewn up and on meds for atrial fibrillation by mid afternoon. Cost to me: $1.64 handling fee for the meds.

The US is the only industrialized nation on the earth that does NOT have universal health care.

In the end our societies will always be judged on how well we looked after our neighbors.

The general consensus is a total dislike for Obamacare. Skyrocketing premiums and deductibles.

And it has also saved lives that you and others care nothing about. You got yours so that's good enough right?

So according to you, empathy trumps rights. You may want to rethink that.

I didn't say that. empathy is one of the things that separates us from creations and animals.

Hey, Trippy! Remember what's-his-name? You didn't think he'd make it. I did? He backed out. You win, you little brat. ;)

I heard Tom Petty (who use to live in Gainesville just SE of the main Univ. of FL campus) sing "Even the Losers get lucky sometimes!" I recognized you as a Winner very early on in my DP noob phase. May our best times lie ahead! Feel some Love!

When I got home today I felt as appreciative as an Academy or Grammy Award winner. I want to thank everyone who supports ObamaCare, my wife, my dad, my mother in Heaven (a career RN), my older brother who recently went through a similar procedure, and all the family and friends who doused me with their Love and Prayers!

I heard Tom Petty (who use to live in Gainesville just SE of the main Univ. of FL campus) sing "Even the Losers get lucky sometimes!" I recognized you as a Winner very early on in my DP noob phase. May our best times lie ahead! Feel some Love!

Be well, Trippy.

Nice rant, but you didn't answer the question.

Yes I did. You can't say "my life is more important than yours" or vice versa. My position is to fix the ACA or repeal and replace it with a law that will lower premiums for families with average to slightly above average income (I'm assuming that's your). If that's your position, we have no disagreement. If your position is that your life is more important than mine, we've got a problem there, and you implied that you pretty much think that way.

My money > your ability to walk = disgusting, evil, putrid

Back
Top Bottom