• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thank you, Mr. Lai

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1. Jimmy Lai published the Chinese-language Apple Daily for 26 years in Hong Kong.

2. This month the Emperor of China decided to crack down: He threw Mr. Lai into jail, froze the assets of the paper, and that was it!

3. The Beijing puppets who run Hong Kong submissively accepted this atrocity.

4. Let's all hope that (a) The international community can quietly arrange for Mr. Lai to receive refuge in some civilized nation and (b) Hong Kong residents boycott all future so-called elections.

5. While Mr. Lai lingers in a Hong Kong jail, not a few American journalists sully the reputation of the great profession of journalism by continuing to report fake news. Some critics point to FOX, others to the New York Times.

P.S. Mr. Lai said that he gave that name to the paper because if Adam and Eve had not eaten the apple, there would have been no need for newspapers, for there would be no evil in this world.

because if Adam and Eve had not eaten the apple, there would have been no need for newspapers, for there would be no evil in this world.
HUH?

face-with-rolling-eyes_1f644.png

1. Jimmy Lai published the Chinese-language Apple Daily for 26 years in Hong Kong.

2. This month the Emperor of China decided to crack down: He threw Mr. Lai into jail, froze the assets of the paper, and that was it!

3. The Beijing puppets who run Hong Kong submissively accepted this atrocity.

4. Let's all hope that (a) The international community can quietly arrange for Mr. Lai to receive refuge in some civilized nation and (b) Hong Kong residents boycott all future so-called elections.

5. While Mr. Lai lingers in a Hong Kong jail, not a few American journalists sully the reputation of the great profession of journalism by continuing to report fake news. Some critics point to FOX, others to the New York Times.

P.S. Mr. Lai said that he gave that name to the paper because if Adam and Eve had not eaten the apple, there would have been no need for newspapers, for there would be no evil in this world.
Hong Kong, as we've known it, is gone.

Well, Adam and Eve are responsible for the fact that human beings are evil.

And newspapers were created to report that evil.

If Adam and Eve had been obedient and not eaten the apple, this would be a world of perfect human beings.

So there would be no need for newspapers.

If Adam and Eve had been obedient and not eaten the apple, this would be a world of perfect human beings.

Do you know your Bible? Serious question. Never mind the fact that the Bible is a book of fairy tales, even if you believe the Bible is literally the "Word" you can't possibly say you know the Bible if you believe that Adam and Eve at eaten from the "apple" - and here I am an atheist and know better.

Hong Kong, as we've known it, is gone.
1. When England gave up Hong Kong, the Reds promised its autonomy for 50 years.

2. Some Hong Kongers actually believed that lie.

3. Well, hopefully, no one in Taiwan will believe any lies from Beijing.

4. Sadly, a lot of American politicians, athletes, movie stars, & now NIKE are eager to grovel before the Chinese dictators.

5. I personally am ashamed that I buy so many products from China, but what can I do?

Do you know your Bible? Serious question. Never mind the fact that the Bible is a book of fairy tales, even if you believe the Bible is literally the "Word" you can't possibly say you know the Bible if you believe that Adam and Eve at eaten from the "apple" - and here I am an atheist and know better.
Oh, no!

I do NOT know the Bible.

I do not believe in God. (This world of unspeakable suffering is proof.)

But apparently Mr. Lai knew about the Adam and Eve story, so he came up with that imaginative title for his paper.

Rather clever, I feel.

Oh, no!

I do NOT know the Bible.

I do not believe in God. (This world of unspeakable suffering is proof.)

But apparently Mr. Lai knew about the Adam and Eve story, so he came up with that imaginative title for his paper.er

Rather clever, I feel.
I suspect you are being sarcastic about not knowing the Bible, I was referring specifically to your claim that Adam and Eve ate from the "apple" - I wanted to give you an opportunity to correct that.

I suspect you are being sarcastic about not knowing the Bible, I was referring specifically to your claim that Adam and Eve ate from the "apple" - I wanted to give you an opportunity to correct that.
I REALLY do not know the Bible and could not care less about it.

In my opinion, it has caused a lot of mischief in history.

Have a nice day!

1. When England gave up Hong Kong, the Reds promised its autonomy for 50 years.

2. Some Hong Kongers actually believed that lie.

4. Sadly, a lot of American politicians, athletes, movie stars, & now NIKE are eager to grovel before the Chinese dictators.

5. I personally am ashamed that I buy so many products from China, but what can I do?
The power of cash is always going to attract.

Don't be ashamed, be aware. I wear a 4Ocean (love this organization-they seem to have good guys at the top, they empower local groups to do the work and benefit economically, each one of their projects benefits both the local area and the entire planet) bracelet to remind me of the problems plastic creates. Does it stop me form buying things packaged in plastic? Not always, but sometimes. Give that a shot with China goods. Spend a couple of dollars more on an American product than a Chinese product next time you go on Amazon. Good luck.

Spend a couple of dollars more on an American product than a Chinese product next time you go on Amazon. Good luck.

1. I am an old man (84) that almost never went to Amazon.

2. Then THE disaster hit this nation & the world last year.

3. I am so grateful to Mr. Bezos (regardless of his political stance) for helping Americans to get through 2020 and even now in 2021, since we are being warned that a surge could occur at any time.

4. I never really paid attention to where something was made. I will try to take more time and try whenever possible to buy American.

Thanks for the advice.

We’d all still be inbred, so there would be difficulties……….

1. I am an old man (84) that almost never went to Amazon.

2. Then THE disaster hit this nation & the world last year.

3. I am so grateful to Mr. Bezos (regardless of his political stance) for helping Americans to get through 2020 and even now in 2021, since we are being warned that a surge could occur at any time.

4. I never really paid attention to where something was made. I will try to take more time and try whenever possible to buy American.

Thanks for the advice.
I don't think retail will ever be the same. Multiple malls in my MSA have closed over the last couple of years. A couple are in process of reinventing themselves as a distribution hub and a mixed use housing office retail space. Take care.

Taiwan is in a very different situation than Hong Kong, since they are basically independent even if they are not so de jure.

Back
Top Bottom