• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Thank you Bush ...

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Bush accepts McCain's ban on torture

Thank you Bush for coming to your senses about SOMETHING!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051215/ap_on_go_pr_wh/congress_detainees

"WASHINGTON - President Bush reversed course on Thursday and accepted Sen. John McCain's call for a law banning cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of foreign suspects in the war on terror.

Bush said the agreement will "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad."

"It's a done deal," said McCain, talking to reporters in a driving rain outside the White House after he met with the president."

It's about damn time too. Now if only he would explain why Cheney wanted the CIA to be exempt from this. Being an open critic of this administration, and considering that torture was my biggest problem with this administration, I figure he deserves kudos for finally realizing that torture is wrong. Baby steps, I guess...

"We do not torture [anymore]." - George W. Bush

Last edited:
Re: Bush accepts McCain's ban on torture

Binary_Digit said:
It's about damn time too. Now if only he would explain why Cheney wanted the CIA to be exempt from this. Being an open critic of this administration, and considering that torture was my biggest problem with this administration, I figure he deserves kudos for finally realizing that torture is wrong. Baby steps, I guess...

Baby steps? I see it as a leap but you're entitled to your opinion.

I don't think people really appreciate the limb Cheney went out on to protect our people in the CIA. His only real concern was that if an agent had someone who knew about the location of a bomb, or knew a plan to kill thousands, what could he do to get this information? Sure, they all could have just said, hey, no big deal, we're on board, just pass the law. They instead decided to examine carefully, and all in the name of protecting our agents from prison time. Of course torture does not work most of the time, of course no one wants us to use this method, or to be known as a country that does, but there are times when we will, I am sure of that. I guess a pardon will just have to be the answer, and I am certain this is probably the conclusion they came to in the end.

Again though, I am glad they were not just "yes men", even on such a controversial issue. I am also happy we are now passed this issue, and our people know what is expected.

I didn't mean to negate the significance of this. Like I said this is my biggest Bush complaint resolved. What I meant was, it should have been obvious to any casual baboon that torture is wrong. Since this wasn't obvious to Bush, for such a long time, I assumed his morals are in still in the infantcy stage. :2razz:

You would think that with the Geneva Conventions, torture and such wouldn't even be an issue in this case.

But, good on Bush for finally recognizing that extra measures were needed.

Wow it seems like Bush can make a decent decesion, at least once in awhile.

However, I still don't think this will stop detainee torture.

FinnMacCool said:

Nope, there will always be a soldier that bi*ch slaps a prisoner because he lost a friend, oh well, what can you do?:doh

FinnMacCool said:

There's always going to be random cases of torture and those responsible will be prosecuted under the law.

FinnMacCool said:
I'm not talking about bitch slappiing. I'm talking about torture.

According to the new law, that is torture.;)

According to the new law, that is torture.

Thats abuse. Not torture. And thats even harder to regulate then real torture. Not that its right but there you have it.

I'm going to have to see if they have "bitch slap" listed as tortue method.

I thought he had vowed to veto McCains anti-torture bill.

Deegan said:
Of course torture does not work most of the time
So why do we need to use it? Some of the worst intel surrounding this war was likely produced from torture. The victim says whatever he/she thinks will make the pain stop, does not matter if it's factually correct.

FinnMacCool said:

Faced with a full scale revolt from his own party and a veto override, I'd be hesitant to say this was his decision. I have no doubt he'd put 'em all on the rack if he could get away with it.

scottyz said:
I thought he had vowed to veto McCains anti-torture bill.
He did, but it looks like he has flip-flopped. :2razz:

Binary_Digit said:
I didn't mean to negate the significance of this. Like I said this is my biggest Bush complaint resolved. What I meant was, it should have been obvious to any casual baboon that torture is wrong. Since this wasn't obvious to Bush, for such a long time, I assumed his morals are in still in the infantcy stage. :2razz:

Bush is now against torture, and, what a miracle, he took responsibility for something this week. Do you think he's getting religion?

tryreading said:
Bush is now against torture, and, what a miracle, he took responsibility for something this week. Do you think he's getting religion?
There has definitely been a shift in strategy. I'm sure it has more to do with low approval ratings than religion.

tryreading said:

What did he take responsibility for? Other than fixing other people's mistakes?

Iriemon said:
What did he take responsibility for? Other than fixing other people's mistakes?

He didn't fix anything. I am talking about the fact that he finally accepted he went to war based partially on completely wrong intelligence, and that he is responsible for the wrong intelligence..

scottyz said:
There has definitely been a shift in strategy. I'm sure it has more to do with low approval ratings than religion.

Yes, I was kidding. He wears his religion on his sleeve, but it doesn't seem usually to help him make good decisions.

Re: Bush accepts McCain's ban on torture

Binary_Digit said:
Thank you Bush for coming to your senses about SOMETHING!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051215/ap_on_go_pr_wh/congress_detainees

"WASHINGTON - President Bush reversed course on Thursday and accepted Sen. John McCain's call for a law banning cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of foreign suspects in the war on terror.

Bush said the agreement will "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad."

"It's a done deal," said McCain, talking to reporters in a driving rain outside the White House after he met with the president."

You beat me to the punch on this one. I want to go on record hear giving kudos to Bush on finally agreeing with McCain and the Senate on the torture legislation.

It would have been terribly ironic if Bush's one veto in 8 years was against an anti-torture bill.

I guess he'll have to save it for banning expanded stem cell research.

Pacridge said:
Didn't he take responsibility for going to war on faulty intelligence?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1406256
Yes, but he's playing the victim and blaming everything on the intelligence community. Nope, Bush's Office of Special Plans and the torture of detainees didn't lead to any bad intelligence. It was all the CIA's fault. :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom