• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thank you, America

Grand Mal

Russian warship, go f*** yourself!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
On 1 Dec. 2018 Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei, was arrested in Vancouver airport in response to an extradition treaty with the USA. She has been on house arrest in Vancouver since then and China arrested two Canadians in retaliation and charged them with espionage. After years of dithering, including Trump musing that she could be a bargaining chip in negotiations with China, the USA has deferred prosecution for a period (I forget how long) provided she doesn't commit a crime against the US. She's on her way back to China and the two Canadians are on their way home.
Odd, innit, how sometimes big diplomatic doin's affect ordinary people. Those two guys have been eating rice and cockroaches for two years because their government honoured a treaty. They could have been home long time ago.
Whatever. Thank you America on their behalf.

On 1 Dec. 2018 Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei, was arrested in Vancouver airport in response to an extradition treaty with the USA. She has been on house arrest in Vancouver since then and China arrested two Canadians in retaliation and charged them with espionage. After years of dithering, including Trump musing that she could be a bargaining chip in negotiations with China, the USA has deferred prosecution for a period (I forget how long) provided she doesn't commit a crime against the US. She's on her way back to China and the two Canadians are on their way home.
Odd, innit, how sometimes big diplomatic doin's affect ordinary people. Those two guys have been eating rice and cockroaches for two years because their government honoured a treaty. They could have been home long time ago.

We owed you big time for helping us get hostages diplomats out of Iran.

I can't speak for all Americans but let me say Canada has been wonderful the times I have been there and the Canadian hospitality has been top notch....

Anything we can do we should do for our northern neighbors.

I can't speak for all Americans but let me say Canada has been wonderful the times I have been there and the Canadian hospitality has been top notch....

Anything we can do we should do for our northern neighbors.
Nice to have that 'allies' relationship back again.
Biden probably wouldn't ditch a G7 summit to meet with Kim Jong-un

Nice to have that 'allies' relationship back again.
Biden probably wouldn't ditch a G7 summit to meet with Kim Jong-un
Biden, shaking hands with the Antichrist, I hope he knows what he's doing.

Oh yeah, that. Yeah, that was good. That was how allies behave. Nice to have that 'remember who our allies are' attitude back in the USA.
It never left, we were just suffering from an infection, I believe it was a Russian infection. We're also dealing with a virus but it was the Russian infection that clouded our perception of our allies.

Glad things worked out for them but we shouldn't drop the fact that China used people as hostages to get their person back. There should be consequences to China's continued violations of international and humanitarian norms.

Glad things worked out for them but we shouldn't drop the fact that China used people as hostages to get their person back. There should be consequences to China's continued violations of international and humanitarian norms.
D'accord.

It's unfortunate that Canada isn't a sovereign country and wasn't able to negotiate the release of its citizens without leave from Washington.

It's unfortunate that Canada isn't a sovereign country and wasn't able to negotiate the release of its citizens without leave from Washington.
What a stupid thing to say.

What a stupid thing to say.
I'm serious. It would be much better if Canada had national sovereignty and didn't need permission from Washington to make decisions.

I'm serious. It would be much better if Canada had national sovereignty and didn't need permission from Washington to make decisions.
You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Go ahead, explain yourself. I dare you.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Go ahead, explain yourself. I dare you.
By your own admission, Canada was unable to obtain the release of its citizens from Chinese custody until USG allowed it to release a Chinese lady. If Canada were sovereign, it could've released the Chinese lady at any time without USG's permission.

By your own admission, Canada was unable to obtain the release of its citizens from Chinese custody until USG allowed it to release a Chinese lady. If Canada were sovereign, it could've released the Chinese lady at any time without USG's permission.
What a dumbass opinion. You're denigrating Canada for honouring a treaty with the US.
Yeah, I get that the concepts of 'honour' and 'ally' have come to be meaningless to the American right. Yeah, if Canada had the same disregard for allies and treaties we would have traded Meng for those two Canadians but surprise! the whole world isn't as corrupt as your version of it.

What a dumbass opinion. You're denigrating Canada for honouring a treaty with the US.
Not at all. I genuinely sympathize with the plight of your country; it would be better off independent.

Not at all. I genuinely sympathize with the plight of your country; it would be better off independent.
Odd thing about Americans- many of them stay emotionally children well into adulthood. Ever notice that? It's especially evident when they can vent their childish insults anonymously. There's a couple categories of childish insults but a certain group seems to favour the "My father can beat up your father!" taunts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom