• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Sues to Block Bizarre "Global Warming" EPA Rules

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
lawsuit says science behind 'global warming' claims is junk, discredited
By Jim Forsyth
Thursday, September 16, 2010
The state of Texas today sued the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in a federal appeals court in Washington DC, claiming four new regulations imposed by the EPA are based on the 'thoroughly discredited' findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and are 'factually flawed,' 1200 WOAI news reports.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott says the rules are illegal and if imposed, will cost Texans in higher energy costs and tens of thousands of lost jobs.

"The state explained that the IPCC, and therefore the EPA, relied on flawed science to conclude that greenhouse emissions endanger public health and welfare," Abbott said. "Because the Administration predicated its Endangerment Finding on the IPCC's questionable facts, the state is seeking to prevent the EPA's new rules, and the economic harm that will result from these regulations, from being imposed on Texas employers, workers, and enforcement agencies."
News Radio 1200 WOAI San Antonio Texas

Two things to note. Last time I used WOAI's site the link was wonky, and they are a big media outlet here, TV, Radio...

Well the regulars on this site have read my opinion on this over and over because I believe the environmentally ill are being scammed by the big business that now controls all the big money of what was once were reasonably on the up and up but those days are long gone.

It's all about money now and the EPA is out of Control and recent story's about the Global Warming HOAX being just that has been ignored by the wacko Lefties.

Al Gore had a day in English Court, or rather is PHONY movie based on faulty science that was proved wrong did and now before it can be shown in British Schools A Judge ordered the children have br be told of the multiple inaccuracies it contains.

I hope for all our sakes this suit is successful.

Last edited:
Well the regulars on this site have read my opinion on this over and over because I believe the environmentally ill are being scammed by the big business that now controls all the big money of what was once were reasonably on the up and up but those days are long gone.

It's all about money now and the EPA is out of Control and recent story's about the Global Warming HOAX being just that has been ignored by the wacko Lefties.

Al Gore had a day in English Court, or rather is PHONY movie based on faulty science that was proved wrong did and now before it can be shown in British Schools A Judge ordered the children have br be told of the multiple inaccuracies it contains.

I hope for all our sakes this suit is successful.

Yes, the left has ignored the wacky stories from the conservative nuts who wouldn't know a piece of scientific evidence it if was crammed up their... nose. It's interesting how may conservative seem to think that things are magically going to be OK. I guess that's easier than actually doing something. Deny there's a problem, then you don't have to fix it.

I'm sure that there are some inaccuracies in Gore's film. So what? That doesn't mean that everything in it should be dismissed. Do the research and the preponderance of the evidence is clear. It's getting hotter and it's our fault. If Gore got some facts wrong, shame on him. If one ties to use that to discredit everything he said, that's stupid. If I told a lie and then said "the sky is blue", it is stupid to say that because I told a lie, the sky isn't blue.

Yes, the left has ignored the wacky stories from the conservative nuts who wouldn't know a piece of scientific evidence it if was crammed up their... nose. It's interesting how may conservative seem to think that things are magically going to be OK. I guess that's easier than actually doing something. Deny there's a problem, then you don't have to fix it.

I'm sure that there are some inaccuracies in Gore's film. So what? That doesn't mean that everything in it should be dismissed. Do the research and the preponderance of the evidence is clear. It's getting hotter and it's our fault. If Gore got some facts wrong, shame on him. If one ties to use that to discredit everything he said, that's stupid. If I told a lie and then said "the sky is blue", it is stupid to say that because I told a lie, the sky isn't blue.

Look... **** Gores film.

You pay anyone enough money you can get research to contradict reality.

Fact: Gore is a hypocrite.

Like any major figure, like Bono: STAND UP FOR THE POOR! Cancel Africa's debt! Now I'm gonna jump in my private jet and smoke this cigar...

Global Warming is real, forget talking heads.

I agree Zip. People need to comes to terms with it, or their children and grandchildren will pay dearly for it (Which hey, let's face it, they already will)

I find it amusing that in almost every debate about the environment, the non-scientific opponents of AGW facts continue to bring up Al Gore. His movie is old news. Science has moved on and found more evidence since then to solidify the case against greenhouse gas emissions.

But I'm not going to state all the evidence. If Deuce has been creating 5-page-long responses and people still bury their heads in the sand, there is no point anymore.

The court case will be interesting. Let's see how the deniers fair when they have to use real evidence in a courtroom.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is that the EPA does not have the authority regulate CO2.

It's as simple as that.

The Congress specifically banned all government agencies from attempting to backdoor implementation of that Kyoto nonsense back when the Democrat led Senate rejected the Kyoto ratification by a 95-5 vote against.

The state of Texas today sued the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ... claiming four new regulations imposed by the EPA are based on the 'thoroughly discredited' findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change...

...the rules are illegal and if imposed, will cost Texans in higher energy costs and tens of thousands of lost jobs.

...the IPCC, and therefore the EPA, relied on flawed science to conclude that greenhouse emissions endanger public health and welfare," ...the state is seeking to prevent the EPA's new rules, and the economic harm that will result...

The IPCC has become the target of criticism from other climate scientists, with numerous revelations of sloppy research, junk science, and allegations of cronyism, lack of transparency, and attempts to suppress contradictory opinions in the research which contributed to the IPCC's 2007 findings.

News Radio 1200 WOAI San Antonio Texas

Here we have a cadre of unelected bureaucrats passing laws that never saw the light of day in Congress. That isn't the way our system is supposed to work.

You want to impose laws, go through the system, not the back door... so we know how you want to try and screw us.

I find it amusing that in almost every debate about the environment, the non-scientific opponents of AGW facts continue to bring up Al Gore. His movie is old news. Science has moved on and found more evidence since then to solidify the case against greenhouse gas emissions.

But I'm not going to state all the evidence. If Deuce has been creating 5-page-long responses and people still bury their heads in the sand, there is no point anymore.

The court case will be interesting. Let's see how the deniers fair when they have to use real evidence in a courtroom.

Would you rather we bring up the British scientists, who admitted that they rigged the evidence, instead?

We'll debunk it however you want. But, alot of us think that it's a shame that Al Gore has made millions off of a hoax. I think some parts of the world, they call that fraud and people go to jail for it.

Last edited:
Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged and moved to the E&CI forum.

Would you rather we bring up the British scientists, who admitted that they rigged the evidence, instead?

We'll debunk it however you want. But, alot of us think that it's a shame that Al Gore has made millions off of a hoax. I think some parts of the world, they call that fraud and people go to jail for it.

No. I think it's funny that millions of people are so stupid they gave Al Gore their money, and even funnier that Al Gore got the same Nobel award that the barbarian conducting the war in Afghanistan and the gay animal heading up the PLO and the idiot peanut farmer got, before it was given to a man who had done absolutely nothing at all.

Idiots are supposed to be robbed, it's why they exist.

What isn't right is that Americans, which means at a minimum those of us not stupid enough to swallow this AGW guff, are being victimized, too.

Al Gore's Movie doesn't have a few minor errors it has 6 or 7 major inaccuracies. One of which is the method used to determine long range climate variations by measuring the growth of the Bristle Cone Pine which has been proven to be wholly inaccurate.

This makes the whole Hockey stick chart wrong and in fact the one Gore used was cut off so that it did not represent the facts.

You can claim this is old news but when this movies is used to sight facts and as an example it has to be made clear that it is wrong from the get go and Gore should be made to return the Nobel prize because it was awarded based on lies.

Further more. Gore flies and old fuel guzzling jet and his house used more electricity in a day than I use in a year, he also travels in vehicles that avg. about 12 mpg.

Hypocrite to the max. The whole bull Shtuff on Warming is wrong and man has almost no effect on the climate and the CO2 argument is bogus and based on nonsense.

Last edited:

Even if the EPA is upheld there will be screams of conspiracy - I have yet to find any evidence - no matter how obvious that the denialists will accept

But then what do you expect from people who will not accept scientific facts known for over 120 years

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott says the rules are illegal and if imposed, will cost Texans in higher energy costs and tens of thousands of lost jobs.

Well - if this is his case then he needs to PROVE that it will cost people's jobs - whose jobs are at stake? Why would those jobs be lost? Or is this purely hypothetical?

my business law book: said:
"Standing to sue requires that the controversy at issue be justiciable controversy - a controversy that is real and substantial, as opposed to hypothetical or academic.

For example, to entice DaimlerChrysler corporation to build a $1.2 billion Jeep assembly plant in the area, the city of Toledo, Ohio, gave the company a ten-year local property tax exemption as well as a state franchise tax credit. Toledo tax payers filed a lawsuit in state court, claiming that the tax breaks violated the commerce clause in the US Constitution. The taxpayers alleged that the tax exemption and credit injured them because they would have to pay higher taxes to cover the shortfall. In 2006, the SCOTUS ruled that the taxpayers lack standing to sue over the incentive program because their alleged injury was "conjectural or hypothetical" that is - their was no justiciable controversy.
(I know - it's not a mirror of this situation with Texas but it does concern factual evidence VS hypothetical argument - which is my focus of the example)
In order to sue based on injury that injury needs to be eminent - or already have happened.

The state has standing, I think - but do they have proof that it will cause job cutbacks?'

Of course it goes on to talk about having to retrofit everyone's tailpipes - which sounds like a good business to capitalize on :)

Last edited:
There have been news stories here in San Antonio that one of the effects of the EPA regulations will be that our car inspections won't be $25 dollar affairs, but we'll be subject to expensive emission tests. That will cost every Texan with a vehicle 1-2k just to get their vehicles up to snuff or be forced to buy new ones. Can you imagine the impact that will have on the small businesses out here?

Also, there are factories here, oil refineries, drilling, manufacturing. The EPA CO2 regulations will CERTAINLY impact those businesses, forcing smaller ones to close and larger ones to relocate. Wanna drive jobs overseas? Let the EPA pull this stunt.

Your use of the term "unscientific" hits the nail on the head. The anti global warming debate is not based on science, but on politics. But what about other nations? How do they view it? Well, let's take at China:

Engineers and scientists, and no Republican party hacks or oil company shills. And while Republicans are striving to make global warming a wedge issue, "China makes it a jobs issue".

Global warming: Republican Party - Joke
Global warming: Communist china - Jobs

Quite a difference in these two 4 letter words, isn't there? But the Republicans don't see this as a joke. They take it very seriously. As long as they can prevent jobs from being created in America, they can always blame the other party. To them, it's all about power.

China takes it seriously too. They are using the issue to create jobs for the 21st Century, and to become a leader in green technology. It is no wonder that they are soon going to pass the US as the number one economy in the world. The American Taliban has no ideas of it's own, other than to sink America back into the Middle Ages, where it then can divide and conquor the American people.

Some people are saying that Americans need to take their country back. From whom? The last I saw, Americans still owned America. Yes, there is a need to replace our leaders, both Democratic and Republican, and there is no doubt that a serious shakeup needs to happen. But when we start replacing, let's make damn sure that those who replace them understand thoroughly what our own scientists and engineers already know, and not replace them with people who believe that the world is only 6,000 years old, that Jesus might have ridden a dinosaur, or who hold the Dominionist philosophy that we can destroy the world, and Jesus will return and fix it all. Dominionism is heresy. God and Jesus are not cosmic gofers for the rich and famous. In fact, if you love God, then you must obey his command that his work (the Earth) be looked after with loving care. I like how a lot of people are predicting who the Antichrist is going to be, but when the evil one comes, I am sure that his kingdom will be all about greed, power, and money. And that's right up the alley of the Dominionists, who don't give a damn who lives or dies, just as long as they can get theirs. Jesus said that, when the end comes, some will be given everlasting life, while others will suffer everlasting shame. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out where the shame will be placed, for it will be placed on the heretics who perverted God's word, and made merchandise of men.

Last edited:
Your use of the term "unscientific" hits the nail on the head. The anti global warming debate is not based on science, but on politics. But what about other nations? How do they view it? Well, let's take at China:

Engineers and scientists, and no Republican party hacks or oil company shills. And while Republicans are striving to make global warming a wedge issue, "China makes it a jobs issue".

Global warming: Republican Party - Joke
Global warming: Communist china - Jobs

Quite a difference in these two 4 letter words, isn't there? But the Republicans don't see this as a joke. They take it very seriously. As long as they can prevent jobs from being created in America, they can always blame the other party. To them, it's all about power.

China takes it seriously too. They are using the issue to create jobs for the 21st Century, and to become a leader in green technology. It is no wonder that they are soon going to pass the US as the number one economy in the world. The American Taliban has no ideas of it's own, other than to sink America back into the Middle Ages, where it then can divide and conquor the American people.

Some people are saying that Americans need to take their country back. From whom? The last I saw, Americans still owned America. Yes, there is a need to replace our leaders, both Democratic and Republican, and there is no doubt that a serious shakeup needs to happen. But when we start replacing, let's make damn sure that those who replace them understand thoroughly what our own scientists and engineers already know, and not replace them with people who believe that the world is only 6,000 years old, that Jesus might have ridden a dinosaur, or who hold the Dominionist philosophy that we can destroy the world, and Jesus will return and fix it all. Dominionism is heresy. God and Jesus are not cosmic gofers for the rich and famous. In fact, if you love God, then you must obey his command that his work (the Earth) be looked after with loving care. I like how a lot of people are predicting who the Antichrist is going to be, but when the evil one comes, I am sure that his kingdom will be all about greed, power, and money. And that's right up the alley of the Dominionists, who don't give a damn who lives or dies, just as long as they can get theirs. Jesus said that, when the end comes, some will be given everlasting life, while others will suffer everlasting shame. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out where the shame will be placed, for it will be placed on the heretics who perverted God's word, and made merchandise of men.

This is so spot on that it needs repeating.

The SAME people who are screaming about Global warming being a "sham" out to "hoax" people will not see the abundant opportunities for job growth in changing our energy economy. And I do not mean just alternative energy but things that will actually SAVE money.

One of the big pushes to reduce carbon emissions in Europe is about insulating homes, (yeah I know the government stuffed that up a bit here - but that was more about greedy shonks than the government). But thanks to the research in England it is possible to renovate older buildings so they become more energy efficient cutting fuel bills - surely that is a GOOD thing.

Mr V was screaming about having emissions tests on vehicles - what if those SAME tests showed how you could save on fuel - would that not be a GOOD thing?

Reduction of pollution - I always did think that was a good thing but then in the USA you might like your children to get brain damage from lead

Back
Top Bottom