• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

texas sucks

liblady

pirate lover
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
no words can convey how much these people suck.

Jihad ‘sanitized’
One of his supporters was board member Don McElvoy, a key player in pushing through changes to economics and history curriculum standards for public school students in May. Among those changes were provisions calling for curriculum to emphasize the importance of capitalism, raise doubts that the doctrine of separation of church and state is embedded in the Constitution and cover “the unintended consequences” of progressive “Great Society” legislation, affirmative action and Title IX, a 1972 act that mandated equal access to federally funded programs for girls, most notably for sports programs.

Texas debates 'pro-Islamic' bias in textbooks - U.S. news - Education - msnbc.com

This is why you discuss history and current events with your kids before the state gets their hands on them. Lord knows what sort of stuff their idiot teachers fill their brains with.

This is why you discuss history and current events with your kids before the state gets their hands on them. Lord knows what sort of stuff their idiot teachers fill their brains with.

it's the actual textbooks, which is just plain nuts. i would sue the school board for incompetence (can a person do that?) if my child was forced to use a textbook that was overly biased to ANY political view. "just the ma'am, just the facts"

odessa is bush country, that's for sure.

The problem is when parents declare something in the textbook to be stupid and the kids follow the direction of their parents, their grades suffer.

We shouldn't be punishing kids for the ignorance of a textbook committee.

it's the actual textbooks, which is just plain nuts. i would sue the school board for incompetence (can a person do that?) if my child was forced to use a textbook that was overly biased to ANY political view. "just the ma'am, just the facts"

odessa is bush country, that's for sure.
I don't think you can sue them personally, but there are probably actions that can be brought against the board as a whole.

Anyway, I think it is irresponsible parenting to simply let the schools teach your kids about history and religion.

I don't think you can sue them personally, but there are probably actions that can be brought against the board as a whole.

Anyway, I think it is irresponsible parenting to simply let the schools teach your kids about history and religion.

i agree with that, absolutely. i remember an occasion when we went to a parent teacher conference, and one of the words in her spelling list, posted on the blackboard, was actually misspelled. i couldn't convince my 2nd grader that his teacher was wrong. of course, they now realize their mom is the smartest woman on the planet. ;-)

point being, kids don't always think their parents are right, so we DO have to be careful that textbooks are factual.

i agree with that, absolutely. i remember an occasion when we went to a parent teacher conference, and one of the words in her spelling list, posted on the blackboard, was actually misspelled. i couldn't convince my 2nd grader that his teacher was wrong. of course, they now realize their mom is the smartest woman on the planet. ;-)

point being, kids don't always think their parents are right, so we DO have to be careful that textbooks are factual.
Hell, forget about the textbooks -- have you seen who they are letting into schools of ed these days? It's almost as if they are the last stop for people who can't hack even a liberal arts major. :shock:

Hell, forget about the textbooks -- have you seen who they are letting into schools of ed these days? It's almost as if they are the last stop for people who can't hack even a liberal arts major. :shock:

i know.....i have a dear friend who teaches and she's really not all that bright.......on the other hand, i know quite a few teachers who ARE that bright.

i know.....i have a dear friend who teaches and she's really not all that bright.......on the other hand, i know quite a few teachers who ARE that bright.
Obviously it's not a hard and fast rule, but I certainly think there's been a decline in the quality of teachers in the past ten or fifteen years.

is that what i posted? i think not. care to comment on the content of the post?

You wrote texas sucks, then complained about cirriculum, where the fact is, many states debate questionable cirriculum. I am addressing your title and your content.

You wrote texas sucks, then complained about cirriculum, where the fact is, many states debate questionable cirriculum. I am addressing your title and your content.

One problem is that since Texas is such a large state population wise these text books will be used nationally because it is prohibitive financially for the publishers to print different books.

i complained about the fact that right wingers want to do things such as deny the tenet of separation of church and state. you call that questionable curriculm, i call it crazy. it's happening in texas.

i was not posting about other states, and you in no way addressed the content. instead, you posted a smartass comment that had nothing to do with the OP. oh, and rolled your eyes. that was a great contribution.

so, if want to address the fact that texas is attempting to introduce political points of view into the curriculm, fine. if not, maybe you shouldn't post in this thread.

i complained about the fact that right wingers want to do things such as deny the tenet of separation of church and state. you call that questionable curriculm, i call it crazy. it's happening in texas.

Far left wingers haven't ever done anything like this? Or is your whining only for the "enemy"?

i was not posting about other states, and you in no way addressed the content. instead, you posted a smartass comment that had nothing to do with the OP. oh, and rolled your eyes. that was a great contribution.

so, if want to address the fact that texas is attempting to introduce political points of view into the curriculm, fine. if not, maybe you shouldn't post in this thread.

Your so much more snotty these days, I wonder why. :roll:

I addressed your title which read "texas sucks" and read your link about the textbooks, I opined on how this sort of thing has never been limited to texas and made mention that both sides do it.

You started to whine at me.... :shrug:

Also note liblady, your raging hypocrisy

http://www.debatepolitics.com/education/81727-public-school-field-trip-mosque-2.html#post1058990156

In that thread your defending a field trip to a house of worship, but in this thread your whining about separation of church and state? :lamo

you'll have to do better than that, rev. a field trip to a mosque is not the same as teaching against separation of church and state. i would have no issue taking a field trip to any house of worship for a teaching moment, as long as the teachers were not encouraging students to adhere to anything in particular. there's no comparison, but you knew that.

at least, i hope you know that. otherwise i've overestimated your intelligence.

oh, and by the way, you've STILL not addressed the content of the post.

So, what college of education are you attending?:2razz:

So, what college of education are you attending?:2razz:
Hey now, I got my degree. I was never in any danger of making the dean's list, but I got the diploma and went on.

One problem is that since Texas is such a large state population wise these text books will be used nationally because it is prohibitive financially for the publishers to print different books.

Go Texas!

A band of members on the Texas Board of Education are upset about supposed claims of pro-Islam (and anti-Christian) bias in Texas history textbooks, and come Friday the board will vote on a resolution that would let publishers know the state won’t stand for it.
“The purpose of this resolution is to ensure there is balanced treatment of divergent groups,” Gail Lowe, the chairwoman of the board, the New York Times. “In the past, the textbooks have had some bias against Christianity.”
The resolution claims that past textbooks have devoted more lines to Islamic beliefs and practices than to Christianity and spelled out atrocities committed by Christian crusaders while ignoring similar atrocities by Muslim fighters. For example, the resolution says that textbook writers habitually call Christians “violent attackers” or “invaders” while playing down Muslim conquests in Europe as “migrations,” and ignore Muslim practices involving sexism, slavery, and persecution of non-Muslim groups.
Is There a Pro-Islam Bias in Texas Textbooks? | The Blaze

Go Texas!

A band of members on the Texas Board of Education are upset about supposed claims of pro-Islam (and anti-Christian) bias in Texas history textbooks, and come Friday the board will vote on a resolution that would let publishers know the state won’t stand for it.
“The purpose of this resolution is to ensure there is balanced treatment of divergent groups,” Gail Lowe, the chairwoman of the board, the New York Times. “In the past, the textbooks have had some bias against Christianity.”
The resolution claims that past textbooks have devoted more lines to Islamic beliefs and practices than to Christianity and spelled out atrocities committed by Christian crusaders while ignoring similar atrocities by Muslim fighters. For example, the resolution says that textbook writers habitually call Christians “violent attackers” or “invaders” while playing down Muslim conquests in Europe as “migrations,” and ignore Muslim practices involving sexism, slavery, and persecution of non-Muslim groups.
Is There a Pro-Islam Bias in Texas Textbooks? | The Blaze

yeah...midland-odessa, where football is more important than physics. it's no surprise you are of the same belief.

Having been a teacher educator, it hasn't changed in decades that 75% of the students who begin college trying for a teaching degree either switch to another major or don't finish college at all. Only 25% of those that start out wanting to be teachers ever set foot in a classroom as a teacher.

Teaching has an undeserved reputation as being easy and it's not. I've seen veteran firefighters weak with relief when allowed to leave a class of 30 third graders on Career Day. After only one little hour.

Regards from Rosie

Having been a teacher educator, it hasn't changed in decades that 75% of the students who begin college trying for a teaching degree either switch to another major or don't finish college at all. Only 25% of those that start out wanting to be teachers ever set foot in a classroom as a teacher.

Teaching has an undeserved reputation as being easy and it's not. I've seen veteran firefighters weak with relief when allowed to leave a class of 30 third graders on Career Day. After only one little hour.

Regards from Rosie

i don't think teaching degrees are necessarily difficult to earn, in comparison to other fields, but i do think teaching can be a difficult job. i'd like the 3 months off, though!

I'm not sure what that means. It doesn't say anything about why they do not finish. I seriously doubt it is because the curriculum is too difficult, though.

Back
Top Bottom