• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas sheriff will investigate Florida flying Venezuelan migrants to Martha’s Vineyard

Those the left were suggesting he was trafficking. Not me. I think he was doing what Biden is doing. Governor Abott is also doing what Biden is doing. The difference is Biden is bussing them to red states in the middle of the night.

There is no evidence of this. This is more right-wing BS to try and distract the world from looking at Abbott and DeSantis while they violate federal law.

Forbes is a right-wing rag that is not telling the truth.

Before I make statement of facts I do my research. I suggest you do the same. You are DEAD WRONG

Six days ago, Biden requested Mexico to expand its agreement. Haven't responded yet

The administration is opposed to that policy.
That's why it's fighting the court order.
Meanwhile, as the article points out, within the administration there are those pushing to expand it.
Even though it contradicts official Democrat talking points.

The admin is trying to have it both ways.

Sorry about that. I can't speak for all Republicans, who are not a hive mind monolith. They want different things on immigration.
You're not being asked to do that. You can just help me with something g general, gleaned from gop officials, the platform, etc.

Let's try again:

What is it you think republicans want, regarding immigration? It can be more than one thing.

You're not being asked to do that. You can just help me with something g general, gleaned from gop officials, the platform, etc.

Let's try again:

What is it you think republicans want, regarding immigration? It can be more than one thing.
I already answered that. See my last post.

You have to admit the collective exploding heads on the left is pretty mockable.

I head on the radio that the aliens are suing Ron DeSantis. Imagine that. They just got here, don't speak the language and probably have at best a rudimentary understanding of US law, yet somehow they managed to get a crack legal team and the finest legal minds in the country to advocate for them.

All I can say is thank God the left doesn't use people as pawns for political stunts! ;)

Flagrant dog whistles to bigotry will do that.

And the deplorables think that lying and using people for political stunts is dandy!

Is it? According to whom?

Actually, your sentence doesn't really make sense. You need ICE's permission to move an alien to ICE hearings? What does that even mean?

My understanding is that the aliens have no restrictions on travel anywhere in the USA.
They were handed an NTA. On that NTA it provides the address where they are to reside and the location they are to report to, at the request of ICE. It also has the outline of the fact that they must notify ICE or the IJ before moving to another address. It also shows that they are to appear before an IJ for a master hearing on Asylum and the date that is to occur. These immigrants are subject to the authority of the asylum officer they are assigned to and the IJ over their case. They can travel anywhere, but they cannot move from the address provided to ICE without permission....I know this personally.

They were handed an NTA. On that NTA it provides the address where they are to reside and the location they are to report to, at the request of ICE. It also has the outline of the fact that they must notify ICE or the IJ before moving to another address. It also shows that they are to appear before an IJ for a master hearing on Asylum and the date that is to occur. These immigrants are subject to the authority of the asylum officer they are assigned to and the IJ over their case. They can travel anywhere, but they cannot move from the address provided to ICE without permission....I know this personally.
Actually temporary visa holders have to notify the CIS only after moving to a new address. And they do not need to ask permission. And since those particular aliens were homeless before and still do not have permanent housing now - unless they plan to call that military base home, there's nothing to change from or change to.

I know this personally having multiple relatives who immigrated here. All legally. Aand from here: https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

In any case, if they fail to notify the CIS, that's on them. It's not DeSantis' job or responsibility to notify the CIS.

You're very limber to be stretching so far. We both know that 70-80% of the time the NTA gets tossed in the nearest dumpster and the "temporary" visa holder melts into the country and never shows up for his IJ hearing. At least I know it.

Currently the backlog on asylum hearings is many years. I think those aliens can get their case transferred to MA before then.

Most Republicans, and indeed most Americans want illegal immigration stopped, or stopped as much as possible.
That isn't an answer. That like answering:

"What should we do about world hunger?"

With

"Feed people!"

That's a dodge, not an answer.

They also oppose the Biden administration's "catch-and-release" policy 2-1

Trump, about 1 1/2 years, made 70,000 people go back to Mexico and wait. Well, now they are coming back on the days of their hearings and can stay after that.

So this makes me circle back around to...

What do republicans want? Symbolic gestures that make little difference, save for endangering the migrants more than otherwise?

It's a toughie. I don't pretend to have a great solution.

Amazing what people will do to get on television.

The sheriff himself couldn't exactly say what the crime was, other than some vague violation of the migrants human rights.
That would tend to be a reason why there is a suspicion this all politically motivated.
Or he's waiting for a determination from the DA. This is a little more complex than spitting on the sidewalk.

There is always the possibility of politics seeping into any government decision/action. Without some kind of evidence, it remains just a possibility. Speculation isn't evidence.
I believe Gov. Abbot responding by pointing out that just a few months ago, 53 migrants died locked in a trailer in the sheriffs bailiwick.

It's not clear whether the sheriff thinks those 53 had their human rights violated. Or whether he thinks migrants are safer in his county than in Dukes County.
The two are clearly nothing alike. There isn't one string of an analogy between the two. Most importantly, one was clearly a political stunt by a government official while the other was an act of criminality.

I've never seen a falser analogy in my life.

Fraud would require that they gave up something of value, besed on the misrepresentation. Kidnapping is farfetched. This is probably less of a rook than a lot of sleazy travel agents pull off. Can anybody show that they were in any way disadvantaged by their trip? Would any have turned it down if they were given an accurate itinerary? Martha's Vineyard in September, vs. roasting in a mosh pit in Texas. Most people in this forum are of the opinion that sending someone to Texas is cruel and unusual punishment. Having been there in the summer, I agree.
It would seem to fit the definition of inveiglement.

'Inveigle' means to entice, lure or lead astray, by false representations or promises, or by other deceitful means. [United States v. Macklin, 671 F.2d 60, 64 (2d Cir. N.Y. 1982); See also, United States v. Hoog, 504 F.2d 45, 51 (8th Cir. Mo. 1974)].

The definition of inveigle excludes the use of physical means or force. Thus, luring or enticing a person through some trick or fraud or temptation without the use of physical force or means is called 'inveigle.' [Macklin, 671 F.2d at 66].

I doubt a case will evolve from this, but as I see it, political or not, the sheriff is providing a public service by suggesting these acts could be illegal.

Uhhh....is this dude a moron? He has no authority to do shit in Florida. Also he should put more time into not having illegal immigrants dying in trucks, like what just happened recently, but he wants to peacock.
Cry less. The tears are clouding your mind.

The crimes took place in two states, involving a third, flying over several others. Just the facts, ma'am.

Cry less. The tears are clouding your mind.

The crimes took place in two states, involving a third, flying over several others. Just the facts, ma'am.
The facts are that the sheriff doesn't have any authority to do so. Another fact is that San Antonio has a very high human trafficking rate, which the sheriff should be focusing on. It's that beam in his own eye that he should be worried about.

The facts are that the sheriff doesn't have any authority to do so.
Of course he does.
Another fact is that San Antonio has a very high human trafficking rate, which the sheriff should be focusing on. It's that beam in his own eye that he should be worried about.
Don't be a control freak. And don't divert.

The sheriff is well within his jurisdiction to investigate the inveiglement that occurred in San Antonio.

The Texas sheriff has gathered up his posse. In his own realm where he's responsible to his county's voters only.

And the posse is riding hard and fast. Investigating a prima facie crime. Yes, our local sheriff can call out his posse to chase down a criminal or conduct a rescue among a vast number of duties.

Our newest hero lawman won't quit until he has DeSantis hide nailed to the wall.

The sheriff hasn't any election this year but DeSantis and Abbot do have theirs. Two lawbreaking co-conspirator governors taking their oath of office in two state's prisons.

It's called the rule of law.
Hey, if Desantis broke the law, he should face the consequences, hands down, no stop. No problem with that.

It's a toughie. I don't pretend to have a great solution.
Agree 100% this is a toughie. No simple answers and I don't pretend to have them either.

But I think most people would agree that
  • telling people that if you are elected president, illegal immigrants should “immediately surge to the border",
  • that you would offer them a pathway to citizenship,
  • ending a successful policy that makes asylum seekers wait in the country they entered the US from (which is not the country they were allegedly persecuted in),
  • giving illegal immigrants "temporary" authorization to remain in the USA, often for years, with no serious effort to monitor their movements,
  • giving illegal immigrants access to free schools, healthcare and other services,
  • and cutting the BCS budget 30% in the last budget
These would be counterproductive to solving the illegal immigration problem.

Huh....

You weren't under the impression that Biden was soft on immigration, were you?

Dude literally argued that "brown people cause disease", locked kids in busses for days in the desert without food, built cages for human beings and built walls to keep them out.

Of course he would deport them under dubious circumstances, as often as possible.

You weren't under the impression that Biden was soft on immigration, were you?

Dude literally argued that "brown people cause disease", locked kids in busses for days in the desert without food, built cages for human beings and built walls to keep them out.

Of course he would deport them under dubious circumstances, as often as possible.

If you read the article, the way that Biden was deporting these illegal immigrants is by telling them that they would be flown to destinations in the US but instead they were dropped off in random cities in Mexico without resources or a way to find shelter.

And you folks lose your shit because DeSantis flew them to ... Martha's Vineyard.

If you read the article, the way that Biden was deporting these illegal immigrants is by telling them that they would be flown to destinations in the US but instead they were dropped off in random cities in Mexico without resources or a way to find shelter.

And you folks lose your shit because DeSantis flew them to ... Martha's Vineyard.
Yeah, Biden is a lying asshole, who treats desperate immigrants as political pawns. No one is arguing that.

My folks have always argued that the entire country should embrace immigrants, including Martha's Vineyard and NYC. But if people were moved under fraudulent promises, that's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom