• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas sheriff charged with evidence tampering in death of Black man after police chase

BlueTex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Dang, didn't expect this outcome... Just and FYI, Williamson County is very, very conservative and is adjacent to Travis County which is very, very liberal. Austin is the county seat of Travis County.

A Texas grand jury has indicted Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody on an evidence tampering charge in the destruction of reality TV show footage that showed deputies chasing and using force on a Black man who died last year.

Williamson County District Attorney Shawn Dick and Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore opened a joint investigation in June, a week after the Austin American-Statesman, part of the USA TODAY Network, and KVUE-TV revealed details of Ambler’s death and reported that “Live PD” had destroyed its footage.

Former Williamson County general counsel Jason Nassour, who was also at the scene of the March 2019 incident, also was indicted on a felony evidence tampering charge.

The indictments follow weeks of grand jury investigation that included testimony from deputies and others who were at the scene the night of Ambler’s death. Chody turned himself in at the Williamson County Jail, which he oversees, on Monday. His bond was set at $10,000.

He should use the Hilary Clinton "I'm stupid" defense.

Dang, didn't expect this outcome... Just and FYI, Williamson County is very, very conservative and is adjacent to Travis County which is very, very liberal. Austin is the county seat of Travis County.

A Texas grand jury has indicted Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody on an evidence tampering charge in the destruction of reality TV show footage that showed deputies chasing and using force on a Black man who died last year.

Williamson County District Attorney Shawn Dick and Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore opened a joint investigation in June, a week after the Austin American-Statesman, part of the USA TODAY Network, and KVUE-TV revealed details of Ambler’s death and reported that “Live PD” had destroyed its footage.

Former Williamson County general counsel Jason Nassour, who was also at the scene of the March 2019 incident, also was indicted on a felony evidence tampering charge.

The indictments follow weeks of grand jury investigation that included testimony from deputies and others who were at the scene the night of Ambler’s death. Chody turned himself in at the Williamson County Jail, which he oversees, on Monday. His bond was set at $10,000.

'Charge' is one thing. 'Convict' is another. We shall see. But the recent conviction of theTexan lady officer that killed the guy in his apartment - gives me hope.

If the apple tree gives so many bad apples in a single year, maybe it should be cut down.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

If the apple tree gives so many bad apples in a single year, maybe it should be cut down.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

Yeah, abolishing the police will be great!...lol

Yeah, abolishing the police will be great!...lol
Trees can always be regrown if you have seeds that are worth it, and are careful.

You don't know this because you've never made anything grow.

[emoji1745]

------------------------

Trees can always be regrown if you have seeds that are worth it, and are careful.

You don't know this because you've never made anything grow.

[emoji1745]

------------------------

What's even look like? The CHAZ?...lol

What's even look like? The CHAZ?...lol
... I bet that sounds a lot like English where you're from. I'm going to give you another try at the question.

This time, use more words.

I can take them.

------------------------

... I bet that sounds a lot like English where you're from. I'm going to give you another try at the question.

This time, use more words.

I can take them.

------------------------

Your grammar nazism proves you don't have the first damn clue how to answer the question.

Apdst doesnt understand that the "few bad apples" metaphor used to justify continued support for police agencies, doesn't hold up to scrutiny if we accept that they are bad apples and treat the system they belong to like we would an apple tree.

One that is continually putting out fruits that kill a different types of neighbor (some at higher rates than others) every couple of weeks.

He will spend 20 posts not getting that, and then will complain I am being mean to him, when I just want to point out the goofiness of his world view.

It is what it is.

------------------------

Your grammar nazism proves you don't have the first damn clue how to answer the question.
There is no grammar naziing.

There are entire words missing in your question. Which? I dont know. I give you another chance to try it, cause I know your state aint #1 in education and you complain?

This is tough. Do you want to try reformating your question or should I answer as is?

------------------------

------------------------

What "apple tree" are you referring to?

It sounds like this particular department has a bad sheriff, but they are likely to get a new one, which will doubtless want to clean house.

They have a habit of "accidentally destroying" or "losing" evidence bad for them, and boy the number of cameras that suffer a mysterious malfunction at the crucial moment is something to behold

They have a habit of "accidentally destroying" or "losing" evidence bad for them, and boy the number of cameras that suffer a mysterious malfunction at the crucial moment is something to behold
It's pretty shocking not only that he destroyed their footage, but that they closed the case without requesting the footage from the TV show. This Sheriff went off the rails. I don't think this could happen in most jurisdictions. It's good that the DA is pressing forward with this case.

It's pretty shocking not only that he destroyed their footage, but that they closed the case without requesting the footage from the TV show. This Sheriff went off the rails. I don't think this could happen in most jurisdictions. It's good that the DA is pressing forward with this case.

They did it sloppily here, but this kind of thing does happen with some frequency. We had one police station here in MA in which the booking vid would just so happen to malfunction when a DUI arrestee later claimed he was not drunk and requested the booking feed to prove it. Etc.

An awful lot of them cut corners when they can because courts and the public at large usually let's them get away with it. It's virtually impossible to prove that a given camera didn't malfunction, judges really don't want to effectively call cops liars when issuing decisions, and in any event, the are supposedly going after the bad guys so who cares if they cheat a little (the thinking seems to go).

What "apple tree" are you referring to?

It sounds like this particular department has a bad sheriff, but they are likely to get a new one, which will doubtless want to clean house.
If other apple trees in your field are continually killing people, then you should cut those ones down too.

------------------------

They did it sloppily here, but this kind of thing does happen with some frequency. We had one police station here in MA in which the booking vid would just so happen to malfunction when a DUI arrestee later claimed he was not drunk and requested the booking feed to prove it. Etc.

An awful lot of them cut corners when they can because courts and the public at large usually let's them get away with it. It's virtually impossible to prove that a given camera didn't malfunction, judges really don't want to effectively call cops liars when issuing decisions, and in any event, the are supposedly going after the bad guys so who cares if they cheat a little (the thinking seems to go).

This particular case wasn't sloppy - the Sheriff intentionally destroyed the evidence.

There are many sloppy cases though - some intentionally careless. This is getting to be more rare though. It's the exceptions that are reported and talked about.

If other apple trees in your field are continually killing people, then you should cut those ones down too.

------------------------

Again, what 'trees' are you talking about?

Apdst doesnt understand that the "few bad apples" metaphor used to justify continued support for police agencies, doesn't hold up to scrutiny if we accept that they are bad apples and treat the system they belong to like we would an apple tree.

One that is continually putting out fruits that kill a different types of neighbor (some at higher rates than others) every couple of weeks.

He will spend 20 posts not getting that, and then will complain I am being mean to him, when I just want to point out the goofiness of his world view.

It is what it is.

------------------------

When the supposedly "good" apples permit the coexistance with the "bad apples" in the same basket, the "good" apples become rotten too...

Texas has shown repeatedy bad signs that there is something deeply rotten in their law enforcement structure. Recall the case of the convicted (for murder) Dallas police woman who killed the black person in his own apartment and the way her cases was treated by the TX Rangers who refused to press with murder charges.

Last edited:
[removed - not worth it]

When the supposedly "good" apples permit the coexistance with the "bad apples" in the same basket, the "good" apples become rotten too...

Texas has shown repeatedy bad signs that there is something deeply rotten in their law enforcement structure. Recall the case of the convicted (for murder) Dallas police woman who killed the black person in his own apartment and the way her cases was treated by the TX Rangers who refused to press with murder charges.

Texas Rangers don't press any charges.

This particular case wasn't sloppy - the Sheriff intentionally destroyed the evidence.

The producers of the TV show destroyed the recording as they do with all recordings not used for TV. According to the Producers the Travis County investigators never asked for them.

I feel sorry for teh sheriff. I am sure he has done this his whole career and all of a sudden people are objecting. He must be very confused.

Back
Top Bottom