• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Senate Approves Permitless Carry

Let's modify your question slightly:
What gun laws can you think of that would stop suicide by gun?

Does that seem like a legitimate question to you?
I dont think treating mental illness is about creating laws so I dont believe your change works.

can you please address my question...it's about guns or if you dont believe that guns are the issue, then it's fine to say that too.

I dont think treating mental illness is about creating laws so I dont believe your change works.
What "your change" are you talking about?

can you please address my question...it's about guns or if you dont believe that guns are the issue, then it's fine to say that too.
I already addressed your question. Your question is illegitimate.

Now it's your turn to answer my question about your societal goals of more guns.

What "your change" are you talking about?
Where you wrote you were modifying mine. Did you forget already? :rolleyes:
I already addressed your question. Your question is illegitimate.
So once again you have no answers. You declare my simple question is illegitimate because you cant or wont answer.

This is pretty normal for your responses...you waste people's time.

Since sometimes a cop will shoot an innocent person, do you support disarming all cops?

That would be an ideal, but no, I support indicting them a la Derek Chauvin (and yes he didn't use a gun, but he killed a suspect illegally).

Where you wrote you were modifying mine. Did you forget already? :rolleyes:

So once again you have no answers. You declare my simple question is illegitimate because you cant or wont answer.

This is pretty normal for your responses...you waste people's time.
Am I in control of your time? Yes. And I am in control of your guns, too.

Answer the slightly modified illegitimate question:

Am I in control of your time? Yes. And I am in control of your guns, too.
Not remotely, lol
Answer the slightly modified illegitimate question:

No, answer my question. If it's "illegitimate," then why are you bothering? 🤷

(*snicker* what's 'illegitimate' about a question about gun laws in a thread about guns?)

Not remotely, lol

No, answer my question. If it's "illegitimate," then why are you bothering? 🤷

(*snicker* what's 'illegitimate' about a question about gun laws in a thread about guns?)

A ban on guns might not stop suicide by gun, but it would greatly reduce instances of it.

A ban on guns might not stop suicide by gun, but it would greatly reduce instances of it.
I believe australia proved that wrong when they used a mass shooting and suicide to do extreme gun control, and when suicides only dropped short term and skyrocketed past pre extreme gun control levels their own govt admitted they knew it would not prevent suicides or murders or crime but that they simply wanted to disarm people.

Australia is the literal example, of everything people like you claim working being done and then them admitting afterwards that they knew it would not make anyone safer they just wanted a near ban on firearms.

Hell yeah Murica Supreme(Texas) is going to pass better laws, Lesser Murica(the other 49 states) just wish they could be this awesome!!!!!!

I have no idea how they think this is going to harm the public? Or anyone?

Many states, like AZ and WY and VT already have this. And many states, like mine, dont require anyhing but a background check...just like when buying a firearm...to get a cc permit. What good does the permit do LE? How does it 'capture' someone who shoots someone?

People in WA st find it somewhat handy because since you've passed the bc for the permit, you dont need to wait or pay for another bc when purchasing a gun.

But anyone planning to do harm, or commit a crime, that wants to take a gun with them? Uh...they will :rolleyes: Illegally carrying a firearm charges will be the least of their worries if they get caught. And again, having the cc permit doesnt help 'track' or capture anyone.
I have talked to people from washington saying that in that state and numerous others getting a concealed license is extremely easy.

In texas getting a concealed license is actually more difficult than the vast majority of the nation excluding ultra liberal gun grabbing states. Here you need a background check, a written exam, a shooting exam, your fingerprints on police record, and a crapload of paperwork and waiting.

Some states like arizona had been fine with open carry forever even before their constitutional carry law, much of their 2010 constitutional carry had to do with concealed, I remember when I was younger stopping through arizona it was not uncommon to see someone walk through a gas station with a 30-30 lever action or even a shotgun, especially in rural areas, no one ever really seemed to care as they were never hiding what they had on them, nor were ever demonstrating malicious intent.

Now you have democrats in texas talking about how criminals will now carry guns in public(like somehow they all obeyed the laws before this when they were convicted felons prohibited from firearms) and how texas will become the ok corral. They made the same argument over 5 years ago with open carry with a concealed license talking about how being allowed to carry in the open will allow criminals to open carry even though they were prohibited from a ccw,and how the state was going to turn into the wild west or the ok corral.

Law abiding people carrying firearms is a problem? Meanwhile .. Biden wants to temporarily pause patents and intellectual property on vaccines so other companies can use this intellectual property to produce mass quantities of vaccine. Sounds like a great idea Biden :rolleyes:
I see why you'd be outraged. Those are exactly the same thing!

I see why you'd be outraged. Those are exactly the same thing!
Following the minds of Right Wingers can lead to migraine headaches, for sure.

I believe australia proved that wrong when they used a mass shooting and suicide to do extreme gun control, and when suicides only dropped short term and skyrocketed past pre extreme gun control levels their own govt admitted they knew it would not prevent suicides or murders or crime but that they simply wanted to disarm people.

Australia is the literal example, of everything people like you claim working being done and then them admitting afterwards that they knew it would not make anyone safer they just wanted a near ban on firearms.

Australia hasn't enacted "extreme gun control", nor am I aware of any motivation to reduce suicides. AFAIK, Australia's gun laws were motivated by the Port Arthur mass shooting in 1996

The UK offers a model on how suicides by gun can be reduced. In the UK handguns are largely banned and those guns that are legally allowed are mostly shotguns and bolt action rifles

"Over the past 20 years the number of gunshot suicides in the UK has declined by over 50% to a little over a hundred deaths per annum. At the same time, firearm legislation has become progressively more restrictive and rates of gun ownership have declined."

New Zealand has also see a decline in firearms related suicides:

I really cannot fathom why the average person living in the burbs, someone who faces nearly a zero percent chance of being assaulted, would see a need to carry a gun. It's nuts.

that's purely speculative and Japan proves that gun bans don't prevent suicides

I really cannot fathom why the average person living in the burbs, someone who faces nearly a zero percent chance of being assaulted, would see a need to carry a gun. It's nuts.
I cannot fathom why you care what others do, especially if it is legal. I can tell you dozens of cases where people were murdered in areas that others said were completely safe. Like that woman and her two daughters who were raped, and then murdered in a very wealthy area of CT, near Yale. Or Sharon Tate and the La Biancas in california. etc.

I cannot fathom why you care what others do, especially if it is legal. I can tell you dozens of cases where people were murdered in areas that others said were completely safe. Like that woman and her two daughters who were raped, and then murdered in a very wealthy area of CT, near Yale. Or Sharon Tate and the La Biancas in california. etc.
lol...that happened nearly a decade ago, but yet you've brought it up at least three times within the past few months. And, as I pointed our the last time you went with the red herring, the male was asleep on the couch when the bad guys beat him with a bat. Upstairs, the females, too, were asleep in their beds, awaking only after the bad guys began tying them up.

No gun would have saved this family from their fate. An alarm or big-ass dog might have tho. If I feared home invasion, I'd get both. Two Dobermans would likely solve all sorts of problems.

Last edited:
lol...that happened nearly a decade ago, but yet you've brought it up at least three times within the past few months. And, as I pointed our the last time you went with the red herring, the male was asleep on the couch when the bad guys beat him with a bat. Upstairs, the females, too, were asleep in their beds, awaking only after the bad guys began tying them up.

No gun would have saved this family from their fate. An alarm or big-ass dog might have tho. If I feared home invasion, I'd get both. Two Dobermans would likely solve all sorts of problems.
you have no idea if that is true. and if crime is so bad that you all demand confiscating legally owned firearms or banning people with clean records from buying more, than you are admitting that crime is bad enough to justify honest people being well armed. If you deny that, then your desires to ban gun ownership are motivated by something other than controlling crime-which of course is the truth

Back
Top Bottom