• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas school district to arm teachers with weapons

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Some teachers at a tiny school district in Texas are now packing heat — and educators won’t hesitate to “take out” an armed student if necessary, the superintendent said Monday.

The Grand Saline Independent School District, located about an hour east of Dallas, is now in its second week of carrying concealed guns on campus, Superintendent Micah Lewis told The Post.

“Every time there was a school shooting, me and the board talked about it again,” said Lewis. “If some crazy came in here, could we minimize the damage by being armed?”
=======================================================
I again think that Taxes has a gun problem.

Some teachers at a tiny school district in Texas are now packing heat — and educators won’t hesitate to “take out” an armed student if necessary, the superintendent said Monday.

The Grand Saline Independent School District, located about an hour east of Dallas, is now in its second week of carrying concealed guns on campus, Superintendent Micah Lewis told The Post.

“Every time there was a school shooting, me and the board talked about it again,” said Lewis. “If some crazy came in here, could we minimize the damage by being armed?”
Historically, most mass shooting have been done by adults. Any one of those alleged "teachers" could go rogue and become a mass shooter. The only safe solution is to arm every student with a concealed carry handgun. Don't students have a 2nd Amendment right, too?
After all, the only solution to a bad teacher with a gun, is a good student with a gun . . . . .

. . . . or some such horseshit rationale.
:rolleyes:

Some nut case pulls a gun in a crowded room and starts shooting. Good guys pull their guns and see other good guys with guns in shooting stance. Who ya gonna shoot? Maybe the good guys should wear a badge. Yeah, that's it. Citizen stinking badges. We can shoot our way out of gun killings.

Some nut case pulls a gun in a crowded room and starts shooting. Good guys pull their guns and see other good guys with guns in shooting stance. Who ya gonna shoot? Maybe the good guys should wear a badge. Yeah, that's it. Citizen stinking badges. We can shoot our way out of gun killings.
A new Republican jobs program. Counterfeit "good guy" badges becomes a cottage industry.
;)

There's an ambiguity. Is the school district arming teachers or allowing them to carry? I scanned the report and didn't see it, and It's an important distinction.

1-The article is misleading. They arent arming teachers...they are allowing law abiding teachers to exercise their Constitutionally protected rights, while requiring those teachers that which to participate in the program volunteer, be vetted, undergo a 40 hour course, with ongoing continuing education.

2-Typically...leftist lose their shit over law abiding citizens exercising Constitutional rights while ignoring the people actually committing acts of gun violence.

Yes, it’s always better to allow someone intent on murdering a group of people to continue their important work without interruption.

Yes, it’s always better to allow someone intent on murdering a group of people to continue their important work without interruption.
typical right wing cowardice, scared of everything. an armed teacher is more likely to shoot a student than having a school shooting even happen

This isn't new, quite a few school districts have enacted such policies over the past decade, and it has yet to be a problem TMK.

A quick search of their district shows that they have one resource officer? Several buildings, over 1000 students, over 175 staff and ONE officer.

My son's tiny elementary school (only preK - K) building has a staff of 3 resource officers that rotate. There are more officers at the other 2 elementary buildings and then more officers at the regional high school.

Maybe they don't have the budget to have hired officers on campus?

Don't most schools have armed security/officers in this day and age?

My tiny town in NJ in the tiny elementary district here has film on windows, security vestibules, and armed law enforcement/officers in the buildings at all times.

Who doesn't want their kids protected in the age of school shootings being a very real threat?

According to the article, more than 95% of their local community approves of this...so who is anyone outside that community to say "Oh no...this is bad!" Would you prefer there not be anyone protecting these students from potential school shooters instead?

A quick search of their district shows that they have one resource officer? Several buildings, over 1000 students, over 175 staff and ONE officer.

My son's tiny elementary school (only preK - K) building has a staff of 3 resource officers that rotate. There are more officers at the other 2 elementary buildings and then more officers at the regional high school.

My tiny town in NJ in the tiny elementary district here has film on windows, security vestibules, and armed law enforcement/officers in the buildings at all times.

Who doesn't want their kids protected in the age of school shootings being a very real threat?

According to the article, more than 95% of their local community approves of this...so who is anyone outside that community to say "Oh no...this is bad!" Would you prefer there not be anyone protecting these students from potential school shooters instead?
Reading this quite reasonable post made me think. If you have lived and schooled your children overseas in any other western democracy, and many non western ones as well, these stories about armed teachers, numbers of armed officers in schools, security vestibules etc are something you would only expect to find in some teen horror movie. I wonder how many people truly understand how 3rd world all this seems?

Prove it.
Nothing will ever convince you. Tehre is a study that shows just owning a gun increases your risk. And common sense (well, we know right wingers have no sense, let alone common sense. In a school, probably even worse, particularly given all the other issues that happen in schools, fights, teacher frustration, etc
Guns can kill you in three ways: homicide, suicide, and by accident. Owning a gun or having one readily accessible makes all three more likely. One meta-analysis ”found strong evidence for increased odds of suicide among persons with access to firearms compared with those without access and moderate evidence for an attenuated increased odds of homicide victimization when persons with and without access to firearms were compared.” The latter finding is stronger for women, a reminder that guns are also a risk factor for domestic violence.

The same thing is true for accidents. States with more guns see more accidental deaths from firearms, and children ages 5 to 14 are 11 times more likely to be killed with a gun in the US compared to other developed countries, where gun ownership is much less common. About half of gun accident fatalities happen to people under 25, and some recent analyses suggest that the official count of gun accident deaths among children is understated.
MONDAY, July 22, 2019 (HealthDay News) -- Family members are at risk of being killed in homes with guns in the United States, a new study suggests.

For each 10% jump in home ownership of guns, the risk of someone in the household being killed rises by 13%. The risk of a nonfamily member getting murdered is increased only 2% with gun ownership, researchers found.

"This study suggests that some of the risks associated with gun ownership are fairly localized in the home," said lead researcher Aaron Kivisto. He's an associate professor of clinical psychology at the University of Indianapolis.

How many of those are teachers shooting students? If you’re going to be a white knight, make sure you’re arguing the correct point.

See, like the typical dishonest, ignorant conservative response, when showed the data you play semantics and move the goal posts. Shooting intentionally, accidentally going off, student getting the teachers gun, I didn't specifically limit it to just a teacher shooting student. People who lose their temper, you give them a gun, that temper can kill others. Or what about if a teacher feels there is a threat and shoots and unarmed kid? Even trained cops shoot unarmed people. Even trained cops miss the intended target and kill innocent bystanders.

Anyway, its the last I'll comment because you will come back with a moronic deflection and make zero arguments because you don't have any facts, logic or reasoning, just like most conservatives

Reading this quite reasonable post made me think. If you have lived and schooled your children overseas in any other western democracy, and many non western ones as well, these stories about armed teachers, numbers of armed officers in schools, security vestibules etc are something you would only expect to find in some teen horror movie. I wonder how many people truly understand how 3rd world all this seems?
Yeah, it is scary. Something is very wrong in the mind of humans that target school children in shootings.

Therefore, I'd rather have protection for children at schools than no protection. If it cannot be paid officers, the next best thing is trained and armed teachers.

Yeah, it is scary. Something is very wrong in the mind of humans that target school children in shootings.

Therefore, I'd rather have protection for children at schools than no protection. If it cannot be paid officers, the next best thing is trained and armed teachers.
Not really trying to comment on the solution, because I really don't know the answer. More a case of wondering how things got so bad? Got to be some pretty big societal screwups to get to this point.

Not really trying to comment on the solution, because I really don't know the answer. More a case of wondering how things got so bad? Got to be some pretty big societal screwups to get to this point.
Sadly, violence focused on/at schools goes back to the 1700's. It isn't new.

The earliest known United States shooting to happen on school property was the Pontiac's Rebellion school massacre on July 26, 1764, where four Lenape American Indian entered the schoolhouse near present-day Greencastle, Pennsylvania, shot and killed schoolmaster Enoch Brown, and killed nine or ten children (reports vary). Only two children survived.

Nothing will ever convince you. Tehre is a study that shows just owning a gun increases your risk. And common sense (well, we know right wingers have no sense, let alone common sense. In a school, probably even worse, particularly given all the other issues that happen in schools, fights, teacher frustration, etc

See, like the typical dishonest, ignorant conservative response, when showed the data you play semantics and move the goal posts. Shooting intentionally, accidentally going off, student getting the teachers gun, I didn't specifically limit it to just a teacher shooting student. People who lose their temper, you give them a gun, that temper can kill others. Or what about if a teacher feels there is a threat and shoots and unarmed kid? Even trained cops shoot unarmed people. Even trained cops miss the intended target and kill innocent bystanders.

Anyway, its the last I'll comment because you will come back with a moronic deflection and make zero arguments because you don't have any facts, logic or reasoning, just like most conservatives
What a moronic load of blather. You stated that it was more likely that a student would be shot by a teacher and now here you are failing to support your own assertion. I wasn’t moving any goalposts, I was holding you and your white knight to the scenario YOU presented.

So last chance, got any proof of your assertion?

Odds on how long before a teacher murders someone, or a kid gets a hold of their gun, or many other obvious things that will happen with arming teachers

I'd be sure to do all my homework, ace all tests and bring an apple every day to my teacher. And wear a Kevlar T-shirt.

I'm against this, for so many reasons. But I do want to highlight a very important paragraph in the article:

"District employees who are interested in becoming guardians must apply for the program and go through a screening and training with the Texas Department of Public Safety, Lewis explained. They must complete 40 hours of training initially and additional hours on a continuous basis. The staffers must also have a license to carry."

If these conditions were required for the purchase of a gun, I believe America would have far less issues with gun violence. And then the school wouldn't feel the need to allow the teachers to walk around with a killing device on their person. So while I'm strongly against this move on a variety of levels, at least this district isn't being blatantly stupid about it and is requiring accountability (at least on the surface).

The UK response to a mass shooting in an elementary school was to severely restrict access to handguns. There hasn't been another since it happened in 1996. We don't need metal detectors and armed "resource officers" /or teachers.

The UK response to a mass shooting in an elementary school was to severely restrict access to handguns. There hasn't been another since it happened in 1996. We don't need metal detectors and armed "resource officers" /or teachers.
Two different countries. And I’m in NJ - we have some of the strictest gun laws in the US.

I’m sure TX where this school in the article is located.

Better safe than sorry

How many of those are teachers shooting students? If you’re going to be a white knight, make sure you’re arguing the correct point.
So far? None. But statistics say that if teachers are armed, a student will be shot, either accidentally or on purpose, by another teacher before he or she will be shot by another student in a mass shooting scenario.

Back
Top Bottom