• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas school district to arm teachers with weapons

Be serious. The teacher demographic overlaps ALL of those categories to some degree. I suggest that it is you who is not being honest here
🤣

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You believe a teacher that would take on the responsibility of carrying a firearm to defend students is underage, playing with a gun, thinking its not loaded, hunting, while intoxicated.

You could have saved us a lot of trouble if you had just up front announced your intent to be dishonest. I'll know better in the future.

Which statistics 'say' that?

You should understand...that research is done by people that SUPPORT your position. They researched qualified police accidental discharges as a measure of demonstrating that its just too dangerous to have teachers armed because of the potential for accidental discharge. They studied 80 cases of law enforcement accidental discharges (including cases where the guns were drawn but the officers didnt mean to shoot...not just an accident from playing with firearms like your article suggests). 80 cases...over 20 years.

The research paper (that again....SUPPORTS your position) was written in 2013. The research points out many states have already been doing this for several years. What you ARENT finding is armed teachers shooting people. But that doesnt mean there arent a TON of articles expressing the fear that it will happen...heck...they even cite examples of shootings OCCURRING in schools....

.........by cops. Cops and armed resource officers.

Not by teachers in their day to day classrooms.

I'll give you one guess as to why there aren't more incidents of teachers in classrooms accidentally shooting students.

what statistics? the bullshit you pull out of your ass? Even trained police and military personal miss, or are too scared to engage, you think some fake rambo tough guy teach who probably would freeze or shit his pants in the event (plenty of people would so not knocking that reaction, its instinct) woudl be able to take out the shooter without killing?

Also, the odds of a school shooter are miniscule, the chance of a teacher having a gun and it going off, studetn getting a hold of it, or other issues is greater than the very slim chance there is a school shooter and the teacher can actually stop it because they had a gun
we won't know until it happens, right?
I take it you don't have a carry permit.

Oh, this is awesome.

I remember my 7th grade shop teacher, who would spend a few minutes now and again loudly imploring Jesus to strike all of his students dead, because we were little sinner bastards.

Sometimes he'd then start crying or even occasionally pass out.

This is a man that needed to be armed in a classroom full of kids.

LOL, Mr Stone. Remember the time he picked up the soldering iron by the wrong end?

Good times.

He should definitely be armed around children.

Some teachers at a tiny school district in Texas are now packing heat — and educators won’t hesitate to “take out” an armed student if necessary, the superintendent said Monday.

The Grand Saline Independent School District, located about an hour east of Dallas, is now in its second week of carrying concealed guns on campus, Superintendent Micah Lewis told The Post.

“Every time there was a school shooting, me and the board talked about it again,” said Lewis. “If some crazy came in here, could we minimize the damage by being armed?”
=======================================================
I again think that Taxes has a gun problem.
Imagine Mr. Belvedere with a gun. Must... see... TV.

typical right wing cowardice, scared of everything. an armed teacher is more likely to shoot a student than having a school shooting even happen
have you read your own anti gun posts? talk about fear and scared

The UK response to a mass shooting in an elementary school was to severely restrict access to handguns. There hasn't been another since it happened in 1996. We don't need metal detectors and armed "resource officers" /or teachers.
you had almost none before your country engaged in a mass bedwetting

The source shows that accidental discharges are much more common than intentional school shootings, which was my claim.

A single, properly trained person of sound mind is highly unlikely to shoot anyone in a school setting, whether by accident or on purpose. But put firearms into the hands of ALL teachers, and it becomes harder to ensure that each is properly trained and of sound mind. In that case you start to raise the probability of accidents without appreciably increasing the probability of them stopping a school shooting.

Armed security guards are sufficient to prevent the extremely rare occurrence of school shootings. That a few happen each year in spite of armed security guards is no reason to risk the higher probability of armed teachers accidentally shooting themselves or a student.

In the 10 yrs after 2009: "180 school shootings. 356 victims...at least 177 of America’s schools experienced a shooting.":

"492 people unintentionally die by gun in an average year.":

The proper term is "unintentional" not accidental.

If con posters think that because of so relatively few school shooting deaths is much ado about nothing, then why should we arm all school teachers?

If many school teachers are armed, you'll get stats then.

Odds on how long before a teacher murders someone, or a kid gets a hold of their gun, or many other obvious things that will happen with arming teachers

The more teachers that are armed, the quicker we'll know.

Seems to me most school shooters are okay with it being a suicide run. If a shooter takes out a bunch of kids before being shot by a teacher, I'm not sure the policy is all that effective.

So it’s better to allow a mass shooter to kill as many people as he wants than to take the risk that someone who is able to stop him might accidentally shoot an innocent bystander, even though it’s highly possible the mass shooter was going to kill them anyway? If you were in a room with a lot of people and someone started shooting, you would rather no one try to stop them, even though there is a chance someone else could get shot?

You've not provided data that supports more people being armed reduces wrongful gun death. Yet you expect me to answer your questions without having presented any evidence that might support having more people armed, incl teachers. Provide the evidence, or the claim of having more people armed is unfounded and need not be debated further, dismissed for lack of evidence.

No, that’s not what I’m talking about at all.

Then make a declaratory statement that is definitively a claim or some form of clarification that means what you're talking about.

Some teachers at a tiny school district in Texas are now packing heat — and educators won’t hesitate to “take out” an armed student if necessary, the superintendent said Monday.

The Grand Saline Independent School District, located about an hour east of Dallas, is now in its second week of carrying concealed guns on campus, Superintendent Micah Lewis told The Post.

“Every time there was a school shooting, me and the board talked about it again,” said Lewis. “If some crazy came in here, could we minimize the damage by being armed?”
=======================================================
I again think that Taxes has a gun problem.
I love their logic. How do you solve a gun problem? By arming more people with guns. LOL

Seems to me most school shooters are okay with it being a suicide run. If a shooter takes out a bunch of kids before being shot by a teacher, I'm not sure the policy is all that effective.

Before being shot by the teacher? The great majority of shootings are planned ahead of time. Given the gun nuts are getting more teachers armed, the teacher will be the first one shot in a planned shooting. You can bet on it.

Back
Top Bottom