• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Republicans add Arizona-like residency checks to platform

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
Texas Republicans add Arizona-like residency checks to platform | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas News on Yahoo! | The Dallas Morning News

Quote(Texas Republicans voted Saturday to call for a state law to require local police officers to verify that people arrested on suspicion of a crime are in the country legally.)

While I am not against such a law being passed in Texas, I doubt very much whether the present Governor Rick perry will sign it into Law.

Why?

Well Perry is (at least in name) a Republican, He was not always a supporter of that party, initially he entered the Political arena as a Democrat.
However IMO the main reason is because he wishes to remain Governor and will fight for continuance of that post this coming November, and Texas has a considerable number of Hispanic citizens.

And I thought Perry was being honest about Arizona law not being for Texans. I guess he will not get my vote, and I am going toward Bill White for Texas. To bad Hutchinson wasn't able to make it in the primaries, since she would have gotten my vote as well.

Texas Republicans add Arizona-like residency checks to platform

Good for them!

People who have broken the law should have to pay the price for their criminal activity.

Republicans are playing a dangerous game here. The Hispanic vote is getting more important every day. If they piss off too many people, they are going to pay at the ballot box.

Republicans are playing a dangerous game here. The Hispanic vote is getting more important every day. If they piss off too many people, they are going to pay at the ballot box.

The legal Hispanic vote counts, but not the illegal vote.

The legal hispanic voters do care about this law. And there not for it, so it's safe to assume they will vote accordingly.

And I thought Perry was being honest about Arizona law not being for Texans. I guess he will not get my vote, and I am going toward Bill White for Texas. To bad Hutchinson wasn't able to make it in the primaries, since she would have gotten my vote as well.

And here i had the impression you were going to vote for bill white anyways before all this.
And you don't think some of the legals care about this law?
Some do. I myself can testify to my parent's neighbors. They are hispanic in decent (im not sure if they are immigrants, i never ask) and did not like the status quo.

I think the hispanics want an immigration policy that makes sense like everyone else.

Last edited:
There are many Texas cities that have sided with the LA CA boycott of Arizona business. Repubs here are singing to the choir, yet the choir is much smaller than they think it is.

Perry will not sign it into law. It would be the last thing that he would ever do in politics. I know. I live here.

There are many Texas cities that have sided with the LA CA boycott of Arizona business. Repubs here are singing to the choir, yet the choir is much smaller than they think it is.

Perry will not sign it into law. It would be the last thing that he would ever do in politics. I know. I live here.
I live here too. I know texas cities are liberal, but i don't think they are that left to fully go through with it, it's mainly posturing and grandstanding at best.

Good for them!

People who have broken the law should have to pay the price for their criminal activity.

It requires acceptance by Perry, not sure that will happen.

It should, but Perry up for re-election and requires Hispanic vote.

Hutchinson has and will always do whatever she has to in order to gain some relevance in Political structure of US.

She cares not a whit for Americans, Texas or indeed anything else than her own relevance.

I might at one time have voted for her, but having seen her performance in attempting to be the GOP candidate for Governor of Texas, I would never vote for her in the future.

Unfortunately a lot of Legal Hispanics simply view laws such as Arizona has passed as Anti Hispanic.

They do not see that Illegal immigration hurts them as much as it hurts every other American.

Unfortunately a lot of Legal Hispanics simply view laws such as Arizona has passed as Anti Hispanic.

They do not see that Illegal immigration hurts them as much as it hurts every other American.
Really? Got a basis for that other than intuition?

Back
Top Bottom