• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Showdow

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Showdown - Business Insider
[h=1]Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Showdown
The court papers don’t tell us all that much about what happened between the couple described only as “J.B.” and “H.B.” We can assume there once was love and then, at some point, there wasn’t.[/h][h=1]Their parting, we’re told, was amicable.[/h]The problem is that J.B. and H.B. are both men. The other problem is that they live in Texas. The two were married in Massachusetts in 2006, where same-sex marriage has been legal since 2004. They later moved to Texas, and now want to get divorced. Texas, however, won’t let them. And they cannot get divorced in Massachusetts either, because that state—like all states—has a residency requirement for divorce.

Thus, unless they uproot their current lives in Texas and move to a state that will grant same-sex divorces, J.B. and H.B. are locked into their marriage. They are in perfect legal limbo. And they are in it together until death—or the state of Texas—do them part. Being trapped in a marriage one wishes to leave is a situation one court (referring to an opposite-sex marriage) once described as “cruel and unusual punishment”—placing the spouses “in a prison from which there was no parole.”
back up links:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...as_refusal_to_grant_divorces_to_same_sex.html
http://www.policymic.com/articles/63533/inside-the-next-big-battle-for-gay-rights

and BOOM!
there you have it.
Stuff like this is the beginning to the end of discrimination and denying equal rights.

Me and many others called it when DOMA fell and then again when IRS granted equal rights no matter the state couples reside.

National equal rights for gays is coming and many cases (hopefully just a few SSCs and one SCOTUS) like these are going to make it happen. These types or gross discrimination and equality violations along with state bannings are going to HELP establish equal rights for gays.

In my opinion there's nothing right about what Texas is doing to these people and legally other similar cases have ruled its wrong also.

Like i was saying, when DOMA fell me and others said thats the first step because cases like these and 1000s of others are going to establish equal rights.

If a gay married couple lives in taxes and one of them is in the hospital does the other not get spousal visitation rights or spousal say in healthcare?
Can one of them cheat and its ok?
What if one dies, does texas take the stuff in the dead spouses name?
Can one spouse be FORCED to testify against the other since texas doesnt see their marriage?
etc etc etc etc and a 100 more examples that involve state, and local policies.

There will be cases like these springing up more and more and they will have to be dealt with. Its great because its going to be poetic justice, all these discrimination and laws banning equal rights for gays are going to be the kindling for the fire to burn the whole bigoted and or discrimination wall down.

Equal rights is going to get the last laugh!

Bigotry and discrimination are already against the ropes, their wobbled, their stunned!

Soon they will catch a left jab of equal rights and a right hook of justice, knocking their teeth out and sending them to the canvas down for the count!!!!
:2usflag::cheers::2dancing:

Re: Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Sho

Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Showdown - Business Insider

back up links:
Texas and gay marriage: Will Texas’ refusal to grant divorces to same-sex couples be the next front in the marriage-equality wars? - Slate Magazine
Inside The Next Big Battle For Gay Rights

and BOOM!
there you have it.
Stuff like this is the beginning to the end of discrimination and denying equal rights.

Me and many others called it when DOMA fell and then again when IRS granted equal rights no matter the state couples reside.

National equal rights for gays is coming and many cases (hopefully just a few SSCs and one SCOTUS) like these are going to make it happen. These types or gross discrimination and equality violations along with state bannings are going to HELP establish equal rights for gays.

In my opinion there's nothing right about what Texas is doing to these people and legally other similar cases have ruled its wrong also.

Like i was saying, when DOMA fell me and others said thats the first step because cases like these and 1000s of others are going to establish equal rights.

If a gay married couple lives in taxes and one of them is in the hospital does the other not get spousal visitation rights or spousal say in healthcare?
Can one of them cheat and its ok?
What if one dies, does texas take the stuff in the dead spouses name?
Can one spouse be FORCED to testify against the other since texas doesnt see their marriage?
etc etc etc etc and a 100 more examples that involve state, and local policies.

There will be cases like these springing up more and more and they will have to be dealt with. Its great because its going to be poetic justice, all these discrimination and laws banning equal rights for gays are going to be the kindling for the fire to burn the whole bigoted and or discrimination wall down.

Equal rights is going to get the last laugh!

Bigotry and discrimination are already against the ropes, their wobbled, their stunned!

Soon they will catch a left jab of equal rights and a right hook of justice, knocking their teeth out and sending them to the canvas down for the count!!!!
:2usflag::cheers::2dancing:
I think this is one of what what will be many whimpers coming out of the traditional marriage crowd as their movement dies.

Re: Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Sho

I think this is one of what what will be many whimpers coming out of the traditional marriage crowd as their movement dies.

im sure there will be lots of crying by the extremists but its pointless the writing is on the wall and equal rights is going to win.

as far as their movement, it will probably never die and im fine with that, this has nothing to do with peoples feeling anyway, its about equal rights and fighting against that will be a lost cause. :)

I say that because racist, bigoted, and misogynistic movements still exists today sadly.

im sure there will be lots of crying by the extremists but its pointless the writing is on the wall and equal rights is going to win.

as far as their movement, it will probably never die and im fine with that, this has nothing to do with peoples feeling anyway, its about equal rights and fighting against that will be a lost cause. :)

I say that because racist, bigoted, and misogynistic movements still exists today sadly.
That's true, but I think their movement will definitely be out of the mainstream, and no longer accepted as legitimate in just a few years.

Texas loves gay marriage so much that they do want gay couples to separate.

Their conundrum, is a legal one, on two fronts.

This smells agenda driven.

That's true, but I think their movement will definitely be out of the mainstream, and no longer accepted as legitimate in just a few years.

hmm i dont think its ever been accepted as "legitimate" for quite some times, people accepted that the powers to be werent ready to give in and the road to equality didnt have a foundation yet.

I know right now to anybody honest, educated and objective the "traditional" argument completely fails because its made up.

Texas doesn't want to recognize their divorce because to do so would be a recognition of their SSM

So instead, they're forcing a same sex couple to stay married

WAY TO GO, TEXAS!! You're doing a fine job of eliminating SSM's :lamo

Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional...

Maybe they should sue Massachusetts instead of complaining to the state that doesn't recognize their marriage.

Texas doesn't want to recognize their divorce because to do so would be a recognition of their SSM

that's not really accurate.. as Texas law doesn't consider them to be married in the first place.

If you think about it (which they obviously did not) why would you move to a state where not only is SSM not legal but, also SS divorce?

Again, I smell a rat here.

hmm i dont think its ever been accepted as "legitimate" for quite some times, people accepted that the powers to be werent ready to give in and the road to equality didnt have a foundation yet.

I know right now to anybody honest, educated and objective the "traditional" argument completely fails because its made up.
By accepted as legitimate, I meant a majority of people used to favor excluding same sex couples, and the media used to be a lot nicer to those people.

If you think about it (which they obviously did not) why would you move to a state where not only is SSM not legal but, also SS divorce?

Again, I smell a rat here.
Maybe they moved there to pursue happiness. Maybe they moved there because of work, or maybe they just like the weather.

They should be treated as divorced anyway, homosexual unions are not a legal marriage in TX, how can they divorce that which does not exist? Good for them for sticking to their laws and principals.

yeah its pretty funny
bu not divorcing them there will be in fact one more SSM couple in the US.

This is exactly why states should have no say in such matters and soon they wont, at least not to this extent. Just move proof leaving this a state issue is wrong and a complete failure.

Maybe they moved there to pursue happiness. Maybe they moved there because of work, or maybe they just like the weather.

Or maybe they moved there with the intention of divorcing in order to overturn TX law

Makes no difference to me. Either way, I'm fine with it.

gotcha

They didn't move here so they could get a divorce.

Why put yourselves in this predicament unless you have ulterior motives or zero forethought.

Or maybe they moved there with the intention of divorcing in order to overturn TX law

Makes no difference to me. Either way, I'm fine with it.

Thank you for making my point. It's agenda driven.

yep or a million other legit logical reasons to people may decided to move within the united states of america. Anybody acting like they should be banned from the state is asinine.

or maybe they did go there to push the issue (which is much less likely) but even if they did, fighting for equal rights is also a great reason, just like women and minorities etc did before them.

Nothing wrong with agendas or perfectly legal behavior

Thanks for making my point - the right wingers want to criminalize behavior that is legal and moral

2.) you have zero facts to support that?
2.) whats the agenda you are guessing about?

Nothing wrong with agendas or perfectly legal behavior

Why should we Texans have to be subjected to such? We LEGALLY voted against SSM and therefore SSD.

And no I'm not sure it's legal for them to move here under that premise. It's on the same level as moving from a state where marijuana is legal to one where it's not and expecting there to be changes made in the law to conform to your habit.

It's not going to happen.

2.) you have zero facts to support that?
2.) whats the agenda you are guessing about?

He just confirmed what I suspected. :)

*I have 'zero' facts to support that yet you don't know what agenda I'm talking about? Get real.

He just confirmed what I suspected. :)

thats what i thought you got nothing as usual, i love it

Back
Top Bottom