• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Showdow

Re: Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Sho

but yet the fact remains they are legally married :shrug:

No, they never were. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Nothing else is a marriage.

And Texas does not recognize the sick mockery of a marriage in which they claim to be, so their “marriage” has no status there. They are free to go their separate ways, without needing the state's permission to do so.

That one state chose to go along with their sick mockery does not obligate another state to play along with it as well.

Last edited:
Re: Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Sho

how to say it more clear would be to say it in a accurate way

their marriage IS factual valid IN Texas but Texas doesnt recognize it

do other states still consider them married while in texas? yes
can the file taxes as a married couple while IN taxes? yes

what other states recognize is irrelevant to Texas law... and there are no state income taxes in Texas to file... if there were, they couldn't file as married.

you are correct in saying Texas does not recognize their marriage.. in Texas, they are just 2 dudes

Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Showdown - Business Insider

back up links:
Texas and gay marriage: Will Texas’ refusal to grant divorces to same-sex couples be the next front in the marriage-equality wars? - Slate Magazine
Inside The Next Big Battle For Gay Rights

and BOOM!
there you have it.
Stuff like this is the beginning to the end of discrimination and denying equal rights.

Me and many others called it when DOMA fell and then again when IRS granted equal rights no matter the state couples reside.

National equal rights for gays is coming and many cases (hopefully just a few SSCs and one SCOTUS) like these are going to make it happen. These types or gross discrimination and equality violations along with state bannings are going to HELP establish equal rights for gays.

In my opinion there's nothing right about what Texas is doing to these people and legally other similar cases have ruled its wrong also.

Like i was saying, when DOMA fell me and others said thats the first step because cases like these and 1000s of others are going to establish equal rights.

If a gay married couple lives in taxes and one of them is in the hospital does the other not get spousal visitation rights or spousal say in healthcare?
Can one of them cheat and its ok?
What if one dies, does texas take the stuff in the dead spouses name?
Can one spouse be FORCED to testify against the other since texas doesnt see their marriage?
etc etc etc etc and a 100 more examples that involve state, and local policies.

There will be cases like these springing up more and more and they will have to be dealt with. Its great because its going to be poetic justice, all these discrimination and laws banning equal rights for gays are going to be the kindling for the fire to burn the whole bigoted and or discrimination wall down.

Equal rights is going to get the last laugh!

Bigotry and discrimination are already against the ropes, their wobbled, their stunned!

Soon they will catch a left jab of equal rights and a right hook of justice, knocking their teeth out and sending them to the canvas down for the count!!!!
:2usflag::cheers::2dancing:

Awesome. I've been waiting for a case like this! Cases like this will show that it's ridiculous to not have marriage equality in all states... yea!

Although I do feel sorry for the couple involved; what a limbo to be in!

A Guy I've known all my life is the children's minister there

View attachment 67153606

thats cool

i remember when the national cathedral allowed gays to marry there and that was cool but im not educated on to where all the churches that allow gays are.

The one friend i was specifically talking about has faith but mass religion overall has turned her off.

She knew basically her whole life and verbally told her parents that she KNOWS she likes girls at 12 yrs old. they sorta ignored it and just moved on.
She had an uncle (her dads brother and a priest) who started touching her when he caught her making out with a girl, she was 14. And that was the end of everything. She told on him and that when her dad disowned her and said she made up the story and she was shunned from her church and lost half her family. Her dad even divorced her mom over it.

So said people could be this sick, she is such a sweetheart of a person and a genuine sole too.

No, they never were. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Nothing else is a marriage.

many states and feds disagree

And Texas does not recognize the sick mockery of a marriage in which they claim to be, so their “marriage” has no status there.

This thread is about gay marriage not Anna Nicole Smith!

thats cool

i remember when the national cathedral allowed gays to marry there and that was cool but im not educated on to where all the churches that allow gays are.

The one friend i was specifically talking about has faith but mass religion overall has turned her off.

She knew basically her whole life and verbally told her parents that she KNOWS she likes girls at 12 yrs old. they sorta ignored it and just moved on.
She had an uncle (her dads brother and a priest) who started touching her when he caught her making out with a girl, she was 14. And that was the end of everything. She told on him and that when her dad disowned her and said she made up the story and she was shunned from her church and lost half her family. Her dad even divorced her mom over it.

So said people could be this sick, she is such a sweetheart of a person and a genuine sole too.

What a shame

1.)No, they never were. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Nothing else is a marriage.

2.)And Texas does not recognize the sick mockery of a marriage in which they claim to be, so their “marriage” has no status there.
3.)They are free to go their separate ways, without needing the state's permission to do so.
4.) That one state chose to go along with their sick mockery does not obligate another state to play along with it as well.

1.) fact prove you wrong as usual bob, sorry, posting lies about this fact wont change them
2.) yes i stated the fact texas does not recognize their legal and factual marriage, this is a fact. the rest of the bigoted ranting you posted is meaningless.
3.) they can go separate ways with or without anybody's permission but they are still factually married.
4.) again this bigoted opinion is meaningless

Facts destroy you r failed post once again. Let us know when you have any facts that support the lie that they are not factually married. We'd love to read it.

the church just down the road from me just had a big float in the Pride parade in Austin..... they tried to give me a bunch of t-shirts for doing the welding on the frame.

I haven't seen any protests against same sex marriage ....or any vocal opposition , for that matter... not in public anyways.
gain more awesome stuff

and thats good you havent seen it yourself but are you gay? just saying
i havent seen it myself so i cant tell you in what form it takes place, i know she has been fired, had friends fired, lost neighbors has friends, a friends business was shut down and protests where gays hang out have happened including vandalizing property both public and private..

now of course this happens in lots of places im not trying to single out Texas in general, she is just always surprised by the huge black and white issue it is for some people and says she is very careful around people she doesn't know if it could impact her or her safety.

She lives outside of houston near the 610 and yes i know thats a circular belt way but thats why im willing to give out the info :)

1.)what other states recognize is irrelevant to Texas law...
2.) and there are no state income taxes in Texas to file... if there were, they couldn't file as married.
3.) you are correct in saying Texas does not recognize their marriage..
4.) in Texas, they are just 2 dudes

1.) yes i agree with this
2.) sorry if i was unclear i meant FEDERAL taxes
3.) yep we agree
4.) that are legally married and texas just doesnt recognize it

What a shame

yeah, i dont know how she isnt more bitter and angry, she is very much like myself, almost never see her have a angry day or not smiling. Sad in her personal space, yes a lot but out in the world happy as can be.

Awesome. I've been waiting for a case like this! Cases like this will show that it's ridiculous to not have marriage equality in all states... yea!

Although I do feel sorry for the couple involved; what a limbo to be in!

yep this cases, the state bannings and cases like it will just pave the way!

weird, that doesn't answer any of my questions, still nothing huh

You don't ask questions, you demand that others see your way of thinking. 8)

And some wonder why Russia passed laws against this sort of agenda driven crap.

Texas' Refusal To Allow Gay Couples To Divorce May Be The Next Constitutional Showdown - Business Insider

back up links:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...as_refusal_to_grant_divorces_to_same_sex.html
http://www.policymic.com/articles/63533/inside-the-next-big-battle-for-gay-rights

and BOOM!
there you have it.
Stuff like this is the beginning to the end of discrimination and denying equal rights.

Me and many others called it when DOMA fell and then again when IRS granted equal rights no matter the state couples reside.

National equal rights for gays is coming and many cases (hopefully just a few SSCs and one SCOTUS) like these are going to make it happen. These types or gross discrimination and equality violations along with state bannings are going to HELP establish equal rights for gays.

In my opinion there's nothing right about what Texas is doing to these people and legally other similar cases have ruled its wrong also.

Like i was saying, when DOMA fell me and others said thats the first step because cases like these and 1000s of others are going to establish equal rights.

If a gay married couple lives in taxes and one of them is in the hospital does the other not get spousal visitation rights or spousal say in healthcare?
Can one spouse be FORCED to testify against the other since texas doesnt see their marriage?

There will be cases like these springing up more and more and they will have to be dealt with. Its great because its going to be poetic justice, all these discrimination and laws banning equal rights for gays are going to be the kindling for the fire to burn the whole bigoted and or discrimination wall down.

Bigotry and discrimination are already against the ropes, their wobbled, their stunned!

Soon they will catch a left jab of equal rights and a right hook of justice, knocking their teeth out and sending them to the canvas down for the count!!!!
I had a normal hetero marriage and it took me nearly 8 years to get divorced, from initial filing to fonal decree. Cry me a river.

another posted lie and deflection. Nothing new. Let us know when you can answer those questions

2.) you have zero facts to support that?
2.) whats the agenda you are guessing about?

As much as I support SSM, I do think this is agenda driven.

IMO, the beef should be with Massachusetts for not allowing divorce unless you are a resident. If you were married there, you should be able to divorce there. Texas IMO should not be required to do same sex divorces IF they aren't doing same sex marriages. Given that this couple isn't going after Massachusetts and instead is battling Texas does seem to support this is agenda driven. At least that is the way I'm seeing it.

As much as I support SSM, I do think this is agenda driven.

2.) IMO, the beef should be with Massachusetts for not allowing divorce unless you are a resident. If you were married there, you should be able to divorce there.

3.)Texas IMO should not be required to do same sex divorces IF they aren't doing same sex marriages.
4.) Given that this couple isn't going after Massachusetts and instead is battling Texas does seem to support this is agenda driven.
5.)At least that is the way I'm seeing it.

1.) of course not and honestly even if it was it wouldnt bother me because the agenda would be achieving equality. I have no discorse for rosa parks a million others, women, minorities etc we never heard of that had an agenda to achieve equal rights.
2.) yes and no
I dont think it should be a direct beef with Mass but with marriage law. Its a two bird with one stone issue. Marriages should be able to be granted and ended anywhere in the US.

and i must admit im not familiar with this part of the law but there are a handful of states if not more that have this practice.

so what i hope this accomplishes is: ending the bigotry and discrimination of texas against legal marriages and establishing more equality of marriage overall in the US.

3.) currently i agree simply because that is the law but i dont think that should be the law and thats what SSC or SCOTUS will decided. A think like marriage which is in fact a right should never be a state issue on this level.
4.) again i dont think theres any evidence of that at all UNLESS all it is, is a plane ticket (even then it isnt cheap) but if mass law is you have to be a residence and to meet those requirements is showing a live in address and or bills in your name for the last 6 months or even 90 days then thats a huge is. NOTE: i just made that requirement up to show an example of this easily could have nothing to do with an agenda. Eventhough i also dont care if it was.
5.) thats fair enough on something like that its all opinion.

back up links:
Texas and gay marriage: Will Texas’ refusal to grant divorces to same-sex couples be the next front in the marriage-equality wars? - Slate Magazine

and BOOM!
there you have it.

Why should Texas tax-payers pay for something that isn't even legal in Texas?

I think this whole issue is part of a much bigger problem of what you get when you allow contracts to change over state lines. It is not just gays who suffer from different state idiocy over marriage. It is one thing to have states rights when you are talking about things like ownership of items or certain other things. but contrary to the right wing belief marriage is a contract as per the government. There should be consistency in contracts. How stupid and crazy is this? Texas legislature hates gay marriage along with a number of bigots in the state and out of spite they are going to keep these two married which is going to bring up a constitutional challenge to their ban in court which has a good possibility of forcing texas to recognize gay people as married like straight people. A logical, thoughtful, and intelligent person can see what is coming a mile away and simply give them a divorce, end a gay marriage, and stop any legal challenges to the ban.

I know I should not be arguing with the stupidity, but it is so damned stupid. They are keeping a gay marriage just so they can pretend they do not exist. I know I should not be amazed by a state that elected Rick Ooops Perry, but divorce law inconsistencies are crazy enough without putting the braindead in charge of it. Oh well, it is time to get the popcorn and watch the texas homophobes get steamrolled by the constitution.

I think this whole issue is part of a much bigger problem of what you get when you allow contracts to change over state lines. It is not just gays who suffer from different state idiocy over marriage. It is one thing to have states rights when you are talking about things like ownership of items or certain other things. but contrary to the right wing belief marriage is a contract as per the government. There should be consistency in contracts. How stupid and crazy is this? Texas legislature hates gay marriage along with a number of bigots in the state and out of spite they are going to keep these two married which is going to bring up a constitutional challenge to their ban in court which has a good possibility of forcing texas to recognize gay people as married like straight people. A logical, thoughtful, and intelligent person can see what is coming a mile away and simply give them a divorce, end a gay marriage, and stop any legal challenges to the ban.

I know I should not be arguing with the stupidity, but it is so damned stupid. They are keeping a gay marriage just so they can pretend they do not exist. I know I should not be amazed by a state that elected Rick Ooops Perry, but divorce law inconsistencies are crazy enough without putting the braindead in charge of it. Oh well, it is time to get the popcorn and watch the texas homophobes get steamrolled by the constitution.

yep this has the potential to be a two bird with one stone issue.

back up links:

and BOOM!
there you have it.

and just a supplement to the op

this looks like it has the potential to be a two birds with one stone issue

not only will this very likely end the bigoted and discrimination laws in taxes over legal amrriage but it has the potential to equally regulate marriage nationally letting people marry and divorce anywhere in the US.

also just some other info

Texas law requires that one of the divorcing parties must have resided in Texas for at least the previous 6 months.

There are 7 grounds for divorce in Texas, and to be able to file for divorce, one of these situations must be true in your case
-Insupportability: there are disagreements that can't be resolved.
-Cruelty: one spouse is treating the other cruelly, to the point where the situation has become unbearable.
-Adultery: your spouse has cheated on you.
-Conviction of a felony: your spouse has been convicted of a felony during your marriage and imprisoned for at least one year without pardon. (You can't use this ground if your testimony is what was used in court to convict your spouse).
-Abandonment: your spouse left with no intention of coming back, and has been gone for at least one year.
-Living apart: you and your spouse haven't lived together for at least three years.
-Confinement in mental hospital: your spouse has been confined in a mental hospital (state or private) for at least three years and there's no indication this will change.

and in Massachusetts

At least one spouse must be a resident of Massachusetts for one year before filing for divorce.

grounds:
Adultery
Impotency
Desertion for one year prior to the filing of the complaint.
Alcohol or drug addiction.
Cruel and abusive treatment.
Willful neglect and refusing to provide suitable support and maintenance for the other spouse.
Irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.
Confinement for five years or more in a federal penal institution or in a penal or reformatory institution in this or any other state.

so it seems it would require one of them to move to Mass for a YEAR. SO while still possible id say thats a good reason not to think this is agenda driven.

Some people wonder why Americans would agree with laws that result in people being persecuted for expressing their opinions.

Last edited:

Why should Texas tax-payers pay for something that isn't even legal in Texas?

How are Texas tax-payers paying for the divorce?

and just a supplement to the op

this looks like it has the potential to be a two birds with one stone issue

not only will this very likely end the bigoted and discrimination laws in taxes over legal amrriage but it has the potential to equally regulate marriage nationally letting people marry and divorce anywhere in the US.

also just some other info

Texas law requires that one of the divorcing parties must have resided in Texas for at least the previous 6 months.

There are 7 grounds for divorce in Texas, and to be able to file for divorce, one of these situations must be true in your case
-Insupportability: there are disagreements that can't be resolved.
-Cruelty: one spouse is treating the other cruelly, to the point where the situation has become unbearable.
-Adultery: your spouse has cheated on you.
-Conviction of a felony: your spouse has been convicted of a felony during your marriage and imprisoned for at least one year without pardon. (You can't use this ground if your testimony is what was used in court to convict your spouse).
-Abandonment: your spouse left with no intention of coming back, and has been gone for at least one year.
-Living apart: you and your spouse haven't lived together for at least three years.
-Confinement in mental hospital: your spouse has been confined in a mental hospital (state or private) for at least three years and there's no indication this will change.

and in Massachusetts

At least one spouse must be a resident of Massachusetts for one year before filing for divorce.

grounds:
Adultery
Impotency
Desertion for one year prior to the filing of the complaint.
Alcohol or drug addiction.
Cruel and abusive treatment.
Willful neglect and refusing to provide suitable support and maintenance for the other spouse.
Irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.
Confinement for five years or more in a federal penal institution or in a penal or reformatory institution in this or any other state.

so it seems it would require one of them to move to Mass for a YEAR. SO while still possible id say thats a good reason not to think this is agenda driven.

So let me get this straight. Texas has a less divorce requirement (6 months instead of 1 year) and people are upset at Texas? Again, this IS agenda driven, because instead of going after Mass. for this, they are only going after Texas.

Maybe instead of fighting Texas, they should be fighting Mass divorce requirements.

They should be treated as divorced anyway, homosexual unions are not a legal marriage in TX, how can they divorce that which does not exist? Good for them for sticking to their laws and principals.

Correction Congrats to Texas for sticking to bigotry and stupidity and the 1700's!

Correction Congrats to Texas for sticking to bigotry and stupidity and the 1700's!

Ah shucks mam it were nothin' :cowboy:

:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom