• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas' Prostitution Rehab Program.....

So it's more along the line of not expanding it to include additional low income families with children, not that anything was cut from the existing programs.

Tennessee also opted out, but is discussing additional in-state programs for the low income groups. I'll reserve judgment on them until I see what they have come up with.

Yeah, and the key word is "children". I mean the reality is that children are the most powerless minorities in the country.

Yeah, and the key word is "children". I mean the reality is that children are the most powerless minorities in the country.

I completely agree, but unfortunately, (too) many parents use the children as a method of getting on these programs (WIC and such) and the children still do not benefit from them, which to me is utterly sad.

Victims? Victims of what? I always assumed prostitutes were people. But are they people who need public assistance to get a better job?

Obviously, the problem is depends on whether or not a working girl has a good pimp or not. Musicians often get bad agents...and so do movie stars, tv stars, etc. Pimps...are like agents. Better yet, maybe it's time to legalize prostitution so they can form a union and become free agents...or primp free.

I think it should be legal, but I don't see how offering these women a chance at a better life is this horribly "disgusting" behavior.

If a woman didn't want to do it, she could still probably pick the jail option instead. Prostitution is illegal in 49 states, stop acting like Texas is somehow radical for outlawing prostitution. Even better, you bitch about one of the few states that does anything to help these women out at all.

Texas_flag_map.svg

Haters gonn' hate!

I completely agree, but unfortunately, (too) many parents use the children as a method of getting on these programs (WIC and such) and the children still do not benefit from them, which to me is utterly sad.

Well, it's a very complicated problem. I'd say the grander problem is associated with single parent children. Generational poverty is a huge problem. Dunno what the answer is really. But I think the key is "somehow begin remedial intervention with kids who will often repeat behaviors" that they see in their parents.

I think it should be legal, but I don't see how offering these women a chance at a better life is this horribly "disgusting" behavior.

If a woman didn't want to do it, she could still probably pick the jail option instead. Prostitution is illegal in 49 states, stop acting like Texas is somehow radical for outlawing prostitution. Even better, you bitch about one of the few states that does anything to help these women out at all.

Haters gonn' hate!

I think that to prioritize taxpayer money to be used for teaching job skills can be better invested with interventions with kids who are exposed to generational poverty.

Prostitution...go girls...go. I've got no issues with prostitution other than their not being a licensed, legal profession. Politicians keep them in the criminal - nonperson status. And now they think that their doing these women a big favor?

Of course they were... because men were the only ones allowed in politics when said laws were put in place or thought off. Does not change the fact that wives and the Church have a vested interest in having such laws.. especially when "marriage" was arranged due to political or economic pressures.

Women were viewed as property. That was all the men needed for a vested interest.

I think that to prioritize taxpayer money to be used for teaching job skills can be better invested with interventions with kids who are exposed to generational poverty.

Prostitution...go girls...go. I've got no issues with prostitution other than their not being a licensed, legal profession. Politicians keep them in the criminal - nonperson status. And now they think that their doing these women a big favor?

So let's sum up the two points that make you so insanely disgusted with Texas in particular:

- Prostitution is still illegal. (just like everywhere else)

- I think the money could be spent better.

I'm not really seeing how either of those things are really disgusting and horrific. So they didn't spend the money on what you wanted, boo hoo.

So let's sum up the two points that make you so insanely disgusted with Texas in particular:

- Prostitution is still illegal. (just like everywhere else)

- I think the money could be spent better.

I'm not really seeing how either of those things are really disgusting and horrific. So they didn't spend the money on what you wanted, boo hoo.

Boo hoo...isn't really my emotional response.

I'm disgusted with Texas politics that's existed over the past couple of generations because they promote the proliferation of a moron population to keep them in power.

And my wishes for how taxpayer money is spent...isn't anymore relevant than your wishes.

Boo hoo...isn't really my emotional response.

I'm disgusted with Texas politics that's existed over the past couple of generations because they promote the proliferation of a moron population to keep them in power.

And my wishes for how taxpayer money is spent...isn't anymore relevant than your wishes.

Dude, you're trying to argue that helping women who want to get out of forced prostitution is a morally disgusting position. I mean, take a minute to think about that.

Dude, you're trying to argue that helping women who want to get out of forced prostitution is a morally disgusting position. I mean, take a minute to think about that.

Uh, you find that disgusting? Everybody has an opinion.

Do you not read well? I was paraphrasing your position. You somehow would rather have these women in jail than be given a chance, then act like THEY are the morally ****ed ones. Unreal.

What your doing is putting words in my mouth (or on finger tips).

I've never made any comments about their moral standing...or used the word "disgusted" to make my point regarding their getting money for job training so they could somehow get free from "forced prostitution".

What is disgusting is Texas politicians. PERIOD! They are wackos, freaks, idiots....they make really bad choices on behalf of Texas citizens.

I don't care about this social issue...that's the part your missing. But apparently you do.

What do you think about this Program? Will it work? Some are saying they would have to put together special task forces for this. Is this the better way to go in reducing women in the legal system for such a crime? Texas came up with this idea after the SCOTUS ruled in 2010 that Girls 14 and under could not be charged with Prostitution. Thoughts upon the matter?

Don't know. In my area those picked up for hooking are generally cracked out of their minds so I doubt it would make a difference for them. In addition, you usually just get a fine unless you have 3 or more prior offenses of doing it, so I am skeptical it would for us, but we are a small city. In big cities that have a lot of street people it might make a difference.

Don't know. In my area those picked up for hooking are generally cracked out of their minds so I doubt it would make a difference for them. In addition, you usually just get a fine unless you have 3 or more prior offenses of doing it, so I am skeptical it would for us, but we are a small city. In big cities that have a lot of street people it might make a difference.

Other than for humanitarian reasons...how would it make a difference? Being trained to do a new job? What kind of jobs might that be? Would they be trained in higher skilled jobs that pay more than minimum wage?

What about dual diagnosis prostitute that have severe drug addiction and mental illness? Or...what if serious health issues pop up in the proceeds of "attempting" to save these women? Who foots the bills?

We should at least ask ourselves questions such as the aforementioned...don't you think?

Other than for humanitarian reasons...how would it make a difference? Being trained to do a new job? What kind of jobs might that be? Would they be trained in higher skilled jobs that pay more than minimum wage?

What about dual diagnosis prostitute that have severe drug addiction and mental illness? Or...what if serious health issues pop up in the proceeds of "attempting" to save these women? Who foots the bills?

We should at least ask ourselves questions such as the aforementioned...don't you think?

I don't know. I think it would be more effective with girls (or even guys) who just hit the streets than with your crack ho or nut job. If it puts them in contact with people who might know somebody who knows somebody, I see no reason not to give it a try. Some people are just so absolutely clueless about day to day stuff we take for granted like how to open a bank account, or rent a place to live, or access all the help available to them, that you just never know what good can come to somebody or how it gets to them.

Are the females or the few males given the choice to go through the rehabilitation or is it a part of probation someone can not change unless they want to , given a choice to someone to escape a life that is un glamorous and currently dangerous its not wrong to give someone the chance to escape that way of life willfully

I don't know. I think it would be more effective with girls (or even guys) who just hit the streets than with your crack ho or nut job. If it puts them in contact with people who might know somebody who knows somebody, I see no reason not to give it a try. Some people are just so absolutely clueless about day to day stuff we take for granted like how to open a bank account, or rent a place to live, or access all the help available to them, that you just never know what good can come to somebody or how it gets to them.

So...we should be willing to do this for prostitutes...and consider everybody else who is lacking the same life and job skills you've described...usually called freeloaders and welfare junkies...not qualifiable for these same opportunities because they will still considered to be freeloaders and welfare junkies.

Why not give these people...all of them...the same opportunity as Prostitutes?

Fisher...I'm not trying to give you a hard time about this personally. I think the issue is much more complicated, costly, and less productive than investing the money elsewhere.

I believe that if all of the facts were available about this charitable act...a simple cost/benefit analysis would probably convince us that it's not the most prudent way to spend tax payer money.

How about programs that would PREVENT women from going into the business of prostitution. Like the old saying goes, "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure."

Generational poverty...is one of the, if not the, biggest problems...maybe in the world. Most people have concluded that it's hopeless...and there's no answer. But now...all of a sudden, prostitutes are the new chosen class of less fortunate to save. Why? Is my question.

So...we should be willing to do this for prostitutes...and consider everybody else who is lacking the same life and job skills you've described...usually called freeloaders and welfare junkies...not qualifiable for these same opportunities because they will still considered to be freeloaders and welfare junkies.

Why not give these people...all of them...the same opportunity as Prostitutes?

Fisher...I'm not trying to give you a hard time about this personally. I think the issue is much more complicated, costly, and less productive than investing the money elsewhere.

I believe that if all of the facts were available about this charitable act...a simple cost/benefit analysis would probably convince us that it's not the most prudent way to spend tax payer money.

How about programs that would PREVENT women from going into the business of prostitution. Like the old saying goes, "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure."

Generational poverty...is one of the, if not the, biggest problems...maybe in the world. Most people have concluded that it's hopeless...and there's no answer. But now...all of a sudden, prostitutes are the new chosen class of less fortunate to save. Why? Is my question.

Well, not being the paid spokesman for the hooker's union leads me to only guess, but jails cost money too. beyond that, I am not going to criticize a state for trying something different. If it works, great. If it doesn't, scrap it and try something else.

Well, not being the paid spokesman for the hooker's union leads me to only guess, but jails cost money too. beyond that, I am not going to criticize a state for trying something different. If it works, great. If it doesn't, scrap it and try something else.

I wouldn't mind being the Paid Spokesman for the Hooker's Union... :cool:

Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom