• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Nearly Flipped BLUE!

WarmPotato

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The 2018 midterms have come and gone, and Ted Cruz won his hard fought battle against Robert O'Rourke. Why did Cruz struggle so much?? He won by a few percentage points, sure - but that was a close call! Ted Cruz almost lost Texas!

A senator since 2013, in a state that's been reliably red for twenty five year, TEXAS! Ted Cruz nearly lost his senate race in Texas! Was it the blue wave? The fact that his opponent spent double as much? Or maybe illegal immigration?

Whatever the reason, here's the bottom line: The Democrats almost flipped Texas. Texas almost went blue. #TedCruz nearly lost the race! #Texas nearly went to the democrats. That was a tough race, but in the end, Ted Cruz pulled the win out of his hat! Great job!

The 2018 midterms have come and gone, and Ted Cruz won his hard fought battle against Robert O'Rourke. Why did Cruz struggle so much?? He won by a few percentage points, sure - but that was a close call! Ted Cruz almost lost Texas!

A senator since 2013, in a state that's been reliably red for twenty five year, TEXAS! Ted Cruz nearly lost his senate race in Texas! Was it the blue wave? The fact that his opponent spent double as much? Or maybe illegal immigration?

Whatever the reason, here's the bottom line: The Democrats almost flipped Texas. Texas almost went blue. #TedCruz nearly lost the race! #Texas nearly went to the democrats. That was a tough race, but in the end, Ted Cruz pulled the win out of his hat! Great job!

Uh, maybe old white christian men are dying off?

LOL

Definitely a vast oversimplification of the issue.

And definitely a distraction from the fact that the Democrats spent double the republicans did.

I dunno, considering Greg Abbot took a massive lead in the Governor's race, I would say Texas wasn't nearly flipped. The Senate seat nearly was, although Cruz's margin of victory was comfortable, there's not other ways the state was "nearly flipped"

I dont know about that. Ted Cruz did nearly everything he could to lose, yet he still somehow won.

I dont know about that. Ted Cruz did nearly everything he could to lose, yet he still somehow won.

Oh, come now. I'm sure someone's conjured some sort of conspiracy theory about why he did in fact win, as well as about why he almost didn't....That is, after all, where it seems our nation is these days...Everything's the result of some friggin' conspiracy....

Only problem is all the other statewide races went to the GOP by 10 points or more

Texas will never be blue

And definitely a distraction from the fact that the Democrats spent double the republicans did.

1. Ted Cruz is not a popular senator

2. Democrats poured a lot on money in this race seeing Cruz as vulnerable.

Two of Cruz's six years was spent running for the president fighting with Trump.

Only problem is all the other statewide races went to the GOP by 10 points or more

Texas will never be blue

Urban races went hard Dem. Rural races went hard GOP. Statewide races were closer than they've been in a while.

Urban races went hard Dem. Rural races went hard GOP. Statewide races were closer than they've been in a while.

If you don’t count Cruz they weren’t close at all. And if you look cities are blue but the suburbs are red and overall the metro areas are still red

Texas will never be blue

No? Lt gov and and AG both were 5% or less. Reps like Marchant and Roy barely beat completely unfounded challengers. With how fast suburbs like Denton and Collin county are closing and no signs of the population explosion in the four biggest cities slowing, I think it may be time to start taking this seriously.

No? Lt gov and and AG both were 5% or less. Reps like Marchant and Roy barely beat completely unfounded challengers. With how fast suburbs like Denton and Collin county are closing and no signs of the population explosion in the four biggest cities slowing, I think it may be time to start taking this seriously.

It must be noted, that surveys showed people who were new arrivals in TX voted for Cruz, born Texans voted for O Rourke, not by large margins in either group, but the fact the suburbs are growing massively might not spell the apocalypse for the Texas GOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must be noted, that surveys showed people who were new arrivals in TX voted for Cruz, born Texans voted for O Rourke, not by large margins in either group, but the fact the suburbs are growing massively might not spell the apocalypse for the Texas GOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know about that. All the suburbs have been shifting left since 2012. Denton County for instance went from Romney doubling up Obama to Hillary losing by 15%ish to Beto losing by 6%. It’s not sustainable for these counties to keep shifting ldft. The rural s are both not growing and tapped out, giving 80%+ by or large to the GOP every election.

5% is still massive in Texas. 600k plus votes. If the trend continues in 2020 maybe it’s time to look at it but not now

5% is still massive in Texas. 600k plus votes. If the trend continues in 2020 maybe it’s time to look at it but not now

It’s going pretty fast though. From 17% in 2012 to 9% in 2016 despite Hillary doing much worse nationally to 2.5% for Cruz and 4-5% for the row officers. Before, I think some of the rurals were making up for it, shifting Republican as Obama and Hillary did worse than Bill Clinton and Gore. But there’s really no room for them to go further right, and they aren’t really growing.

If the suburbs and cities grow at the rate they’ve grown the past eight years and keep the same voting pattern as this year, the Democrat will win in 2020. I don’t necessarily expect that to happen this was a good year for Dems. I expect them to be worse off nationally in 2020. But there’s a reasonable chance it will be competitive.

Spending cash does not get people registered to vote and to the polls. People do that.

Cruz never believed Beto was going to mount a real challenge.

Now Democrats have 2 years to get 500,000 more votes registered.

I dunno, considering Greg Abbot took a massive lead in the Governor's race, I would say Texas wasn't nearly flipped. The Senate seat nearly was, although Cruz's margin of victory was comfortable, there's not other ways the state was "nearly flipped"

The difference was under 3%, and normally, it's a 20 to 30% difference.

I don't think it should be ignored that Ted Cruz is an extremely unlikeable person. I don't think the result would have been near as close with a better GOP candidate. Props to O'Rourke though, he came very close.

I don't think it should be ignored that Ted Cruz is an extremely unlikeable person. I don't think the result would have been near as close with a better GOP candidate. Props to O'Rourke though, he came very close.

That doesn't explain all of it. Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, and Commissioner of Agriculture were within 5%. All of the statewide races except for Abbott were single digits.

Cruz did the worst. But many of the others were somewhat close, and a huge amount closer than any of these elections over the last decade or two.

Spending cash does not get people registered to vote and to the polls. People do that.

Cruz never believed Beto was going to mount a real challenge.

Now Democrats have 2 years to get 500,000 more votes registered.

Ciudad Juarez has more than twice than many people. Registering them to vote in Texas would be more than enough.

That doesn't explain all of it. Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, and Commissioner of Agriculture were within 5%. All of the statewide races except for Abbott were single digits.

Cruz did the worst. But many of the others were somewhat close, and a huge amount closer than any of these elections over the last decade or two.

$70 million against less than half that would.

Back
Top Bottom