• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Mom Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery With a British Accent

SocialD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
"Lisa Alamia was diagnosed with foreign accent syndrome, an extremely rare speech disorder that alters a person's speech so that he or she seems to speak with a foreign accent. "

"Doctors estimate that the speech disorder has affected fewer than 100 people in 100 years worldwide. "

"It's such a rare condition that neurologists don't believe that this is a real condition," Dr. Toby Yaltho of Houston Methodist Sugar Land Neurology Associates told ABC News

Texas Mom Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery With a British Accent - ABC News

So they made up a syndrome for this.... hrm.. I think I'm with the neurologists that don't believe its a real condition.
I would shrug it off but next thing you know they will make this a medical condition and she will claim she cant work and needs to be on disability because she is embarrassed or something.

"Lisa Alamia was diagnosed with foreign accent syndrome, an extremely rare speech disorder that alters a person's speech so that he or she seems to speak with a foreign accent. "

"Doctors estimate that the speech disorder has affected fewer than 100 people in 100 years worldwide. "

"It's such a rare condition that neurologists don't believe that this is a real condition," Dr. Toby Yaltho of Houston Methodist Sugar Land Neurology Associates told ABC News

So they made up a syndrome for this.... hrm.. I think I'm with the neurologists that don't believe its a real condition.
I would shrug it off but next thing you know they will make this a medical condition and she will claim she cant work and needs to be on disability because she is embarrassed or something.

A British accent is a speech disorder in Texas?
Too many directions...

Too many directions...

Yea I'm at work and read this one and a coworker goes oh man i love tabloids and I said umm errr well its abc, cnn etc.. reporting it. but then again..

Too many directions...

It is if it occurred over night and she never had one before and I doubt every single instance of this occurred in Texas, but then, haters gonna hate, right?

It is if it occurred over night and she never had one before and I doubt every single instance of this occurred in Texas, but then, haters gonna hate, right?

Haters?
What kind of surgical side-effect stunts a sense of humour?

I worked with a guy from deep in the heart- good Ironworker and good partner (pardn'r?) but I could have a nap waiting for him to get a sentence out. When he said, "Damn!" it had three syllables. A Texan waking up with a British accent is just humourous.
How's that for hate, Skippy? Get yer rage all outed about me laughing at someone's misfortune now.

It's called Dysprosody, and it was first described over a century ago. It can happen after a stroke.

Haters?
What kind of surgical side-effect stunts a sense of humour?

I worked with a guy from deep in the heart- good Ironworker and good partner (pardn'r?) but I could have a nap waiting for him to get a sentence out. When he said, "Damn!" it had three syllables. A Texan waking up with a British accent is just humourous.
How's that for hate, Skippy? Get yer rage all outed about me laughing at someone's misfortune now.

Yeah, sounds like you didn't care much for him, poor guy. Did he know what you thought of him?

Yeah, sounds like you didn't care much for him, poor guy. Did he know what you thought of him?

You picked that up from 'good Ironworker and good partner'?
Wherever your sense of humour went, it didn't go alone.
And this is drifting into a basementesque line of discussion. Done.

You picked that up from 'good Ironworker and good partner'?
Wherever your sense of humour went, it didn't go alone.
And this is drifting into a basementesque line of discussion. Done.

For something to be considered "humor", it should probably be "humorous". See how that works?

For something to be considered "humor", it should probably be "humorous". See how that works?

I think that from the term 'sense of humour' you've focused on the wrong word. Have you seen Stevie Wonder's new piano? Neither has he.
See how that works? Humour about not having a sense so not recognizing... ah, nevermind.

I think that from the term 'sense of humour' you've focused on the wrong word. Have you seen Stevie Wonder's new piano? Neither has he.
See how that works? Humour about not having a sense so not recognizing... ah, nevermind.

Well anyway, a British accent is not considered a speech impediment in Texas. Based on what you posted about your coworker, are you suggesting that it's actually a Texas or Southern accent you consider a speech disorder?

Well anyway, a British accent is not considered a speech impediment in Texas. Based on what you posted about your coworker, are you suggesting that it's actually a Texas or Southern accent you consider a speech disorder?

Honestly I would rather hear a british accent than a texas accent. not that I hate texas accents.
I still don't believe this is a real syndrome. I do think she believes it and its real to her but I think its some type of psychosomatic thing.

Honestly I would rather hear a british accent than a texas accent. not that I hate texas accents.
I still don't believe this is a real syndrome. I do think she believes it and its real to her but I think its some type of psychosomatic thing.

I've actually heard of this before but not following surgery. I've heard about it after head trauma.

The syndrome means that a person's speech, specifically it's rhythm and tone, is affected. The sudden change in speech can signal a serious problem, according to medical literature. A change in speech in any way, including an accent change, can be the first sign of a stroke, and needs to be evaluated by a doctor immediately.

Everything You Need to Know About 'Foreign Accent Syndrome' - ABC News

Really rare though.

Lucky. I'd like to have a British accent.

I heard the local news story on this, not really listening, but Her Husband said he kink of like the new accent.

Let's hope she keeps a stiff upper lip.

A woman underwent surgery and had her tongue removed and her nose sealed and when she woke up she spoke with a French accent. Amazing, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom