• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas mom challenges transgender widow's marriage

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Texas mom challenges transgender widow's marriage - Yahoo! News

HOUSTON – The family of a southeast Texas firefighter killed in a July 4 blaze has sued to void his marriage to his transgender widow and prevent her from getting his death benefits because she was born a man and Texas doesn't recognize same-sex marriages.

The attorney for the mother of Thomas Araguz III said Thursday that the firefighter only learned of his wife's gender history and after he found out, he moved out of their home and planned to end the marriage.

But a tearful Nikki Araguz said her marriage was not a fraud.

"I'm absolutely devastated about the loss of my husband. I'm horrified at the horrendous allegations accusing me of fraud. They are absolutely not true," Araguz, 35, told reporters during a brief statement at a news conference.

Thomas Araguz died while battling a blaze at an egg farm in Boling, about 55 miles southwest of Houston. The 11-year veteran of the Wharton Volunteer Fire Department was trapped by falling debris in a burning production building.

In a lawsuit filed July 12 in Wharton County, his mother, Simona Longoria, asked to be appointed administrator of her son's estate and that her son's marriage to Nikki Araguz be voided because the couple were members of the same sex.

I am not sure what to think. Interested in your perspective. Personally, I think they should stop wasting taxpayers time.

Ellis said his client's efforts to void the marriage are supported by Texas law, specifically a 1999 appeals court ruling that stated chromosomes, not genitals, determine gender.

The ruling upheld a lower court's decision that threw out a wrongful death lawsuit filed by a San Antonio woman, Christie Lee Cavazos Littleton, after her husband's death. The court said that although Littleton had undergone a sex-change operation, she was actually a man, based on her original birth certificate, and therefore her marriage, as well as her wrongful death claim, was invalid.

People will do anything for money. That is what all this boils down to.

So should the mom get the money or the transgendered wife?

I am not sure what to think. Interested in your perspective. Personally, I think they should stop wasting taxpayers time.

agreed.....seems to me the texas mom is out of line here. they were still married, should be treated as any other marriage.

Last edited:
The wife should. End of story.

the money should be donated to the fire fighters, for new fire trucks or something, if they're fighting about money after someone's died, **** both of 'em.

but the bit i find interesting is "egg farm" wouldn't it be a poultry farm? or do they grow eggs from the ground now :confused:

the money should be donated to the fire fighters, for new fire trucks or something, if they're fighting about money after someone's died, **** both of 'em.

but the bit i find interesting is "egg farm" wouldn't it be a poultry farm? or do they grow eggs from the ground now :confused:

I think an egg farm is correct. They "grow" eggs in a way. A poultry farm raises chickens for meat.

The wife should get the money. It is a marriage between a man and woman.

no way.....the wife isn't fighting, the greedy mother is.

no way.....the wife isn't fighting, the greedy mother is.

the wife is fighting to hold onto the money, i just don't see how trying to hold onto money you got by profiting off a loved ones death is all that important.

the wife is fighting to hold onto the money, i just don't see how trying to hold onto money you got by profiting off a loved ones death is all that important.

So she should just let the mother take what is not rightfully hers?

So she should just let the mother take what is not rightfully hers?

:lol: as Mr. Kenobi once said "from a certain point of view". I'm sure if you asked the mother about who rightfully gets the money, you'd get a different answer.

but it is a tricky situation, 'cause legally, it appears the mother is right, morally however, the wife is, and while i think the wife should get to keep the cash, if they can't simply get over themselves, neither should have the money, and it should go to a worthy cause, rather king solomon-esque

:lol: as Mr. Kenobi once said "from a certain point of view". I'm sure if you asked the mother about who rightfully gets the money, you'd get a different answer.

but it is a tricky situation, 'cause legally, it appears the mother is right, morally however, the wife is, and while i think the wife should get to keep the cash, if they can't simply get over themselves, neither should have the money, and it should go to a worthy cause, rather king solomon-esque

Alright you get points for quoting Star Wars :cool:

But I think that the wife is both legally, and morally right. They were married, and just because she is trans, doesn't make it any different than any other marriage.

Alright you get points for quoting Star Wars :cool:

But I think that the wife is both legally, and morally right. They were married, and just because she is trans, doesn't make it any different than any other marriage.

except in in texas, same sex marriage is illegal, and under texan law, she is a man, which is the crux of the problem.

Profiting off the death of a loved one is a very interesting way of looking at life insurance, Spud. And cold.

This is a miscarriage of justice. I hope his wife has the money to appeal because I believe it will be struck down. 'Course our court systems are sooo ridiculous, I suppose one never knows.

except in in texas, same sex marriage is illegal, and under texan law, she is a man, which is the crux of the problem.

Well that Texas law should be repealed, because it is idiotic.

she's entitled to it, not the mother. who knows what her circumstances are? the mother is the disgusting leech here.

The wife should absolutely lose. Marriage is a contract, and when you lie about your gender you make the contract unilaterally voidable.

In fact, I'd support him if he decided to sue.

The wife should absolutely lose. Marriage is a contract, and when you lie about your gender you make the contract unilaterally voidable.

In fact, I'd support him if he decided to sue.

She never lied about her gender. She's a woman, end of story.

The hell she is. Daddy passed along a Y chromosome.

You can call yourself the Queen of England for all I give a damn. Have fun making the law call you "your highness".

Profiting off the death of a loved one is a very interesting way of looking at life insurance, Spud. And cold.

how do you look at it, a surprise present from beyond the grave? you insure your car so that if it dies, you can fix it, good luck doing that to a dead person, the entire purpose of life insurance is so you can go "bummer, they're dead, but at least i get some cash"

The hell she is. Daddy passed along a Y chromosome.

You can call yourself the Queen of England for all I give a damn. Have fun making the law call you "your highness".

She's had SRS, so she more than likely has a F on all of her government papers, and documents. Doesn't matter the way she was born, she's a female by federal law. End of story.

Your Star said:
Doesn't matter the way she was born, she's a female by federal law. End of story.

According to the story, apparently not. Where exactly does it say in specific terms that a tranny is legally identifiable as their post-op choice? Because if it's so easy to declare your gender, I'm gonna start going into the women's restroom and say I used to be a chick. I'll piss all over the seats too, just because I can. That'll learn ya.

According to the story, apparently not. Where exactly does it say in specific terms that a tranny is legally identifiable as their post-op choice? Because if it's so easy to declare your gender, I'm gonna start going into the women's restroom and say I used to be a chick. I'll piss all over the seats too, just because I can. That'll learn ya.

Yeah, it doesn't work like that. Have fun getting arrested, as far as I know, you need to have SRS, or be living in your chosen gender for over a year, with a therapist recommendation to qualify to have your legal documents changed. And if she was able to get married, then by law she is recognized as a female.

Any documentation to this effect? I've never heard of this "law".

Legally? Probably the mom since the marriage will be made void. Morally though, the wife should get it as they were married and the only reason for divorce could be the dishonesty about her past gender; but none of that went through before the husband's death.

Back
Top Bottom