• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas mom, a vocal gun rights advocate, killed by cops after killing her girls [W:51]

Re: Texas mom, a vocal gun rights advocate, killed by cops after killing her girls

Moderator's Warning:
Folks, this is a *breaking news* thread about a specific story. If your posts aren't clearly, and primarily, tied directly to the story, then you should not be making them in this thread. If you want to talk about broader notions of gun control or mental health reform, start threads in the appropriate areas for that. Continued attempts to derail this thread into a broad discussion about guns, as opposed to one narrowly about a specific news story, will cause action to be taken

Re: Texas mom, a vocal gun rights advocate, killed by cops after killing her girls

Jason Sheats (the Father) now has PTSD. I just can't begin to fathom that much emotional pain.

I think the shooter knew what she was doing. Suicide by Cop, and taking her daughters with her. It was said that they recently got back together. I think they were still falling apart and she could not handle it. Then decided to do this to get back at him. I dunno really. Anger management might have helped.

This wasn't the first time that she wigged out.

Not an evil woman, just a sick one. From what I could tell from the article Nota Bene posted, the woman was mentally ill. My unprofessional guess is, she was a paranoid schizophrenic who thought she was fighting off intruders, probably believing them to be threats to her daughters. Her social media suggested an obsession with their safety.

The perfect gun rights representative, until she started the firefight.

I made myself quite clear. Your only interest is to stereotype liberals, by putting them into one little corner. Well guess what? It doesn't work that way. How inconvenient for you.

You have no interest in discussing issues, you just want to name call. If you feel compelled to actually discuss the points made feel free, otherwise stop wasting my time.

We already discussed the issue. You failed at making any point that couldn't be destroyed by anyone looking at this without an irrational fear of guns.

We already discussed the issue. You failed at making any point that couldn't be destroyed by anyone looking at this without an irrational fear of guns.

Apparently you failed at reading.

Re: Texas mom, a vocal gun rights advocate, killed by cops after killing her girls [W

You are so right, we used to have mental health institutions... now we don't.

Oh the irony. You can thank Saint Ronnie for that.

Re: Texas mom, a vocal gun rights advocate, killed by cops after killing her girls [W

Oh the irony. You can thank Saint Ronnie for that.

PROBABLY helps to know a little about what you're talking about, before you type...

According to American psychiatrist Loren Mosher, most deinstitutionalization in the USA took place after 1972, as a result of the availability of SSI and Social Security Disability, long after the antipsychotic drugs were used universally in state hospitals.[3] This period marked the growth in community support funds and community development, including early group homes, the first community mental health apartment programs, drop-in and transitional employment, and sheltered workshops in the community which predated community forms of supportive housing and supported living.

According to psychiatrist and author Thomas Szasz, deinstitutionalisation is the policy and practice of transferring homeless, involuntarily hospitalised mental patients from state mental hospitals into many different kinds of de facto psychiatric institutions funded largely by the federal government. These federally subsidised institutions began in the United States and were quickly adopted by most Western governments. The plan was set in motion by the Community Mental Health Act as a part of John F. Kennedy's legislation [clarification needed] and passed by the U.S. Congress in 1963, mandating the appointment of a commission to make recommendations for "combating mental illness in the United States".[4]

In many cases the deinstitutionalisation of the mentally ill in the Western world from the 1960s onward has translated into policies of "community release". Individuals who previously would have been in mental institutions are no longer continuously supervised by health care workers. Some experts, such as E. Fuller Torrey, have considered deinstitutionalisation to be a failure,[5] while some consider many aspects of institutionalization to have been worse.

=-=-=-
In 1973, a federal district court ruled in Souder v. Brennan that patients in mental health institutions must be considered employees and paid the minimum wage required by the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 whenever they performed any activity that conferred an economic benefit on an institution. Following this ruling, institutional peonage was outlawed, as evidenced in Pennsylvania's Institutional Peonage Abolishment Act of 1973.

Many assume that the advent of modern psychotropic medications was the catalyst for deinstitutionalization in the U.S. However, large numbers of patients began leaving state institutions only after new laws made unpaid patient labor illegal. In other words, when patients no longer worked for free, the economic viability of many state institutions ceased and this led to the closing of many state hospitals.[26]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinstitutionalisation

Have a nice day, Top Cat.

You are so right, we used to have mental health institutions... now we don't. Blame the guns. Avoid the truth.

"It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that's exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."

Tell me, what would have been "horribly tragic" about this woman not having the ability to murder her daughters ?

"It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that's exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."

Tell me, what would have been "horribly tragic" about this woman not having the ability to murder her daughters ?

She had the ability to murder her daughters without the guns. The guns just made it easier.

Would you have even cared about this woman or her kids if she stabbed them? Would this thread be even made?

I don't think the madness of vilifying gun owners or their supporters by the left will end until they can respect disagreements and honor the fact that many Americans want to protect their constitutional rights.

Just additional validation that a gun in the home is more likely to cause harm than to prevent it.

stop the fibbing-nothing routine about that at all even though the Bannerrhoid movement wants to pretend this is usual.

Recall how many times I have tried to tell you a gun in the home is more likely to harm than to protect? Oh, no. You don't.

1. There's no Constitutional right to drive a car.

2. "Assault Weapons" can be used to hunt, target shoot, etc. Just like every other gun.

There is no Constitutional right to have any gun, any time, anywhere.

There is no Constitutional right to have any gun, any time, anywhere.

Oh okay. Thanks for the information.:roll:

Not an evil woman, just a sick one. From what I could tell from the article Nota Bene posted, the woman was mentally ill. My unprofessional guess is, she was a paranoid schizophrenic who thought she was fighting off intruders, probably believing them to be threats to her daughters. Her social media suggested an obsession with their safety.

Maybe the mentally ill shouldn't have guns. Just a thought.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Oh okay. Thanks for the information.:roll:

You're welcome. Many barrel-strokers are unaware of that fact.

She had the ability to murder her daughters without the guns. The guns just made it easier.

I'm not a doctor, but i don't think that twitching your finger in someone's direction can kill that person.

Would you have even cared about this woman or her kids if she stabbed them? Would this thread be even made?

Of course i would have cared. I loathe that our society is so disconnected from reality that it considers arming our mentally ill to be a form of "protection."

I'm not a doctor, but i don't think that twitching your finger in someone's direction can kill that person.

No, but holding them around somebody's neck certainly can. I simply pointed out that taking her guns away wouldn't have removed her ability to kill her children. It would have simply been an obstacle. Do you disagree?

Sent from a flower watered by the tears of Trump supporters and crazy newb liberals.

Of course i would have cared. I loathe that our society is so disconnected from reality that it considers arming our mentally ill to be a form of "protection."

It doesn't that's a falsehood you push to drive an agenda. The reality is we're very leery of restricting citizens civil rights. While it's clear this woman needed help, and should probably have NOT had a weapon... she had family that should have known she was ill, why did they not remove the weapon from her? Why do you blame "society" for the families failure to act? The system doesn't work if it ain't aware, I don't know about you but I really don't want Government knowing that much about me or my family. Maybe a hyper intrusive Government would have stopped this tragedy, is it worth that cost to our liberty and freedom?

Just additional validation that a gun in the home is more likely to cause harm than to prevent it.

And what of it? Riding a motorcycle is more likely to get you killed. Even assuming you are correct in a society of adults, those adults can decide for themselves what risks they choose to accept.

I think there are many people like myself that aren't interested in taking away your guns. I am in favor of common sense measures that allow for mandatory licensing. My position is reasonably simple. If you need a license to operate a deadly vehicle and a test to be able to drive, then it is reasonable to expect a person to demonstrate they know how to operate and store a deadly weapon.

I realize this will immediately rankle many here including our resident testudine, but on some level, SOMETHING has to change. The definition of insanity applies here.

There are other mitigating factors it appears in this case. Her state of mind obviously

Would that have prevented this crime? Probably not. Would it prevent other crimes and save lives? The reasonable answer is yes.

As to assault weapons, even Ronnie was against them. They are designed for a single purpose. Hardly something one needs lying around.

I wonder if you realize the difference between needing a license to drive on public roads and needing a license to own a gun.

Anyway, this woman here was going to kill her kid gun or no gun, so acting on her gun rights is pretty much pointless.

PROBABLY helps to know a little about what you're talking about, before you type...

Don't walk away Renae.

Time you educate yourself then.

Ronald Reagan and the Commitment of the Mentally Ill

Long study, in summary...
Reagan's social policy is best seen as an abdication. Reagan's economic policy was to adjust government regulation so that it favored business once again, and social policy was merely an outgrowth of this larger issue. While family groups and professional groups and patient groups did clamor for respect, the real struggle was between the state and the business community. Reagan worked to lessen the tax load for the rich, and the social policies were meant to match this goal. Business needed a more favorable corporate climate, and Reagan worked to that end. The coalitions that were necessary for election were either gratified (the elderly) or abandoned (the poor). As for the mentally ill, certain changes that their families and practitioners wanted were gained, and the administration pointed this out. Even though these changes came about primarily through state governments and the courts, the Administration would take credit. All in all, business interests were served. Families and doctors were appeased. Patients were forgotten.

There are countless sources for this. Reagan policies resulted in the releasing of mentally ill people when he was the CA Gov. He then did the same thing when he became president.

Whether you agree with the end result or not, this is an indisputable fact.

The following table shows the magnitude of deinstitutionalization for 48 states and the District of Columbia. Alaska and Hawaii became states after deinstitutionalization was under way and are therefore not included. Since the total population of the United States increased from 164 million in 1955 to 260 million in 1994 and since the rate of population change varied markedly for different states, 1994 state population figures can be used to calculate the number of patients who theoretically would have been in public mental hospitals in 1994 if the hospitalization rate had been the same as that which existed in 1955. The effective deinstitutionalization rate, then, is the actual number of patients in public mental hospitals in 1994 subtracted from the theoretical number with the difference expressed as a percentage of the theoretical number (for a discussion of this table, see Chapter 1). The importance of looking at population change when assessing the magnitude of deinstitutionalization can be illustrated by looking at Nevada, which is especially anomalous because it actually had more patients in public psychiatric hospitals in 1994 (760) than it had in 1955 (440). Its actual deinstitutionalization rate is therefore plus 72.7 percent. However, because Nevada's total population increased more than sevenfold during the 40-year period, its effective deinstitutionalization rate, based on the population, was minus 71.4 percent.

If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page you will see a SS that shows the deinstitutionalization. There is little doubt Reagan's policies led to this.

Deinstitutionalization - Special Reports | The New Asylums | FRONTLINE | PBS

And what of it? Riding a motorcycle is more likely to get you killed. Even assuming you are correct in a society of adults, those adults can decide for themselves what risks they choose to accept.

I've never seen anyone claim they have a motorcycle in the home for personal protection.

Back
Top Bottom