• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas man who waited seven hours at polls is charged with voting illegally

Napoleon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
A Texas man who became a national hero after he waited seven hours in line to vote in last year’s presidential primary has been arrested and charged with voting illegally.

Hervis Rogers, who is Black, became a symbol of a determination to have one’s voice heard.

“I wanted to get my vote in, voice my opinion,” he told a local ABC affiliate after his long wait to cast his ballot in the 2020 election. “I wasn’t going to let anything stop me, so I waited it out.”

But on Wednesday, according to Houston Public Media, he was arrested and charged with two counts of illegal voting.

The Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton, is reportedly bringing charges that allege Rogers voted while on parole for a 1995 conviction for burglary and intent to commit theft.

In Texas, it is illegal for anyone convicted of a felony to vote until they complete their sentence, including probation and parole. Rogers’ parole began in 2004 and was set to expire in June 2020. The Texas primaries were held in March.
Goodbye Mr. Rogers.

Hervis Rogers, who is Black, became a symbol of a determination to have one’s voice heard.
Goodbye Mr. Rogers.

tenor.gif

This is really stupid. Where is prosecutorial discretion?

T**** tried to overturn the election and he's STILL a free person. Kris Kobach and other Republicans stole the 2016 election and they're STILL free persons.

Stupid is advertising your illegal voting on national television. 😂
Assuming he knew what he was doing was illegal, which he probably didn’t.

But you’re right, what you described is more appropriately described as stupid. This feel malicious and inequitable.

Assuming he knew what he was doing was illegal, which he probably didn’t.

But you’re right, what you described is more appropriately described as stupid. This feel malicious and inequitable.
No one is above the law.

... he should have known that the right thing to do... is to call election officials, and ask them to "find" the number of votes needed for his candidate of choice to win.

You know, like a normal law abiding citizen does.

Yeah.

This seems totally reasonable:

"Rogers cannot afford $100,000 bail and is being held in jail, said Thomas Buser-Clancy, an attorney with the Texas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, which is helping represent Rogers."

Goodness - what an abuse of the system by the assholes in Texas. He cast a vote, he didn't kill someone.

"Rogers cannot afford $100,000 bail and is being held in jail, said Thomas Buser-Clancy, an attorney with the Texas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, which is helping represent Rogers."

Goodness - what an abuse of the system by the assholes in Texas. He cast a vote, he didn't kill someone.
He was sentenced to 25 years for his felony. They let him out 16 years early with strings attached and he squandered that good will. Now he goes back to the poke.

He was sentenced to 25 years for his felony. They let him out 16 years early with strings attached and he squandered that good will. Now he goes back to the poke.
Yeah....that's stupid. Back to jail for voting?
Lol..no..and 100k fine? People are absurd if you think that's ok

No bloody wonder the US is the most incarcerated nation in the world. You guys lock people away for years for **** all.

Stupid is advertising your illegal voting on national television. 😂

I suppose. Kind of like bragging about the fact you don't pay taxes because you are smart and now your company is facing criminal charges for tax fraud, eh?

The two men in PA who forged ballots for their dead mothers get probation while they throw the book at the black person.
Apples and oranges are not the same just because they both grow on trees

But you know that he will be convicted and receive a sentence of many years

Back
Top Bottom