• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TEXAS LT. GOVERNOR DAN PATRICK BLAMES CONSTITUENTS FOR GIANT ELECTRIC BILLS: “READ THE FINE PRINT”

He mentioned that they were going to revisit this type of plan. It seems like there should be an out of pocket cap to how much a person could end up owing.

When I first heard the headline I thought this guy was a complete turd. After watching his interview I thought what he said made sense. I don't think he was being tone deaf I think he correctly giving context to the situation.

I suppose something similar to what health insurance companies do in regards to maximum out of pocket expense calculations. Though I suspect there might be some impact to the rates if there is some kind of cap to what they can charge in those kind of plans.

It's not about public service.

Some anarchists find themselves in government because they deeply care about sabotaging it.

The right wing version of this has been very popular over the last 40 years or so, and it's a wonder that people still vote for them in droves.
While getting their own grubby hands on monies that comes with the title like Lt Governor.

it's time to put the regulations in place that would prevent things like this from happening again. no regular consumer could possibly afford a $17k electric bill, so we need to remove that as a possibility going forward.

“.......but freedom!”

The help should definitely come with a stipulation that they do something to fix the systemic problems that caused the failure. It's not like they don't know how to mandate winterization.
That is for sure.and If they don't I do not think the FED. government should help.
They had a choice and this is what it came to it is not the responsibility of the other states to bail them out.
as I have said before It seems that every time they have something like this happen they want help from the Fed and most of the time they get it but when some of the Blue states that are the ones usually paying for it need help they are all against it
If the Fed does help ( and as I said I don't think they should ) the next time the Blue states need help too they should be all for it
They should remember the people that have helped them
Have a nice day

Two things can be true at once. It is absolutely true the left holds disdain for ordinary people. There is no denying it.
It is also true that many on the right have an unhealthy market obsession from over reading Rand.
You might want to look and see just who has been helping the People of TX
Hint it hasn't been people on the right
Have a nice day

“.......but freedom!”
well they had the FREEDOM to choose and they did
so they are now paying for it.
No Federal bail out for E;lect. Bills
They help pay their bills they should help pay every bodies
Have a nice day

“.......but freedom!”

more like freedumb, except it was far from free. like i said in another thread, it was another very dumb corporate decision. the last thing a corporation wants is to get harshly regulated, and yet someone thought that sending the average consumer a single bill for tens of thousands of dollars for minimal electricity use could even be a thing.

sometimes i've fantasized about starting a contracting company in which i attend corporate meetings as an outsider. i'll call it "That Guy In The Room (TGITR) Consulting." for a fee, i'll attend meetings in which dumbass decisions might happen.

Scenario 1 :"hey, you know how both kids and adults enjoy not dying and therefore buy the shit out of epipens? let's buy them and crank up the price 5000%!"

TGITR : "if you do that, you will attract the attention of regulators, and everyone in the country will hate you. this will lead to your ruin."

Scenario 2 : "hey, you know how a lot of people are broke and want to pay less for electricity? let's offer them a plan that allows them to do that, and then we'll destroy them with a $17k bill!"

TGITR : "if you do that, you will attract the attention of regulators, and everyone in the country will hate you. they also won't pay the bill because there's no ****ing way that they possibly could. this plan is exceptionally and almost mind numbingly stupid. don't do it."

i think that this could be a useful service to help people who insist on proving the Peter Principle almost daily.

the 15 dollar minimum wage will hurt more people than it will help. The fact that they need to keep raising the minimum wage is evidence that there is failure somewhere in government policy, the price of a coke was 5¢ for so long it used to be impressed on the bottle. Now prices are more volatile. Minimum wage is bad for normal Americans and it’s really just a bandaid to cover up leftist malfeasance and right wing cowardice on central banking.
ordinary Americans were not harmed by the SALT increases. Home values, again due to leftists prioritizing habitat salamanders over habitat for humans as well as making regulation so high that home building is expensive, are so high in most blue cities that people cannot afford a house unless they’re in mid 6 figure range.
social security is an insolvent system that robs retirees out of millions they could’ve made with self investment, if it was so great then why did the public employee and railroad unions lobby for exemptions to social security? people wouldn’t join Medicaid even when they were mandated to and qualified which put millions of working Americans out of work and resulted in massive job offshoring, pushing the alleged evils on the third world while doing little to materially improve the environment.
Because all of these measures hurt more Americans then they helped. Nearly all of them benefitted a certain slice of the liberal Burgeois and destroyed the quality of life on tens of millions of people.
First, there is no evidence that "the 15 dollar minimum wage will hurt more people than it will help" and a lot of evidence that it will help. The economic evidence is that unless minimum wages are raised to levels higher than anything currently being proposed, hiking the minimum won’t have major negative effects on employment — but it will have significant benefits in terms of higher earnings and a reduction in poverty. What is this about always raising the minimum wage? It hasn't been raised since 2009.

Second, raising the minimum wage is immensely popular; it’s supported by around 70 percent of voters, including a substantial majority of self-identified Republicans. Or if you don’t believe polls, look at what happened in Florida back in November: even as Trump carried the state, a referendum on raising the minimum wage to $15 won in a landslide.

So the G.O.P. is very much out of step with the public on this issue — it’s espousing what is almost a fringe position. Oh, and it’s a position that is completely at odds with the claim by many Republicans that they’re the true party of the working class.

Third, I've also been hearing conservatives claim for 40-50 years how Social Security is bankrupt but still keeps on sending monthly checks to retirees. Your assertion has no weight in that debate. Oh and railroads are exempt from Social Security because there was a Federal Railroad Pension that pre-dated Social Security. Public employees are not exempt.

Fourth, as for regulations that drive up home building, even Adam Smith said that it's proper to have fire codes to protect the general public. The regulations on home building are local, not federal and the main cost of home building is the land. Want to build in Hogg Iowa, the land is cheap. Want to build in Greenwich, CT, it's expensive.

Sorry, you can't blame Medicaid for corporations outsourcing jobs to the 3rd world. Somehow, German's who have a more comprehensive social safety net have no problem retaining domestic workers.

Two things can be true at once. It is absolutely true the left holds disdain for ordinary people. There is no denying it.
It is also true that many on the right have an unhealthy market obsession from over reading Rand.
Define "ordinary people." Do "ordinary people" believe it is 'legal'/'acceptable'/'moral' to rape ones wife? YES or NO?

Back
Top Bottom