• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas landowners dig in to fight Trump’s border wall

Yes. But now add hours of broadcasts about dozens or hundreds of families struggling to keep their heritage against GOP assaults ... and that nut shell starts to give.

It certainly will not play well in TX cattle country.

https://www.apnews.com/0b3d63c524214bbdbfb58ce8f61589f0

HIDALGO, Texas (AP) — As President Donald Trump travels to the border in Texas to make the case for his $5.7 billion wall, landowner Eloisa Cavazos says she knows firsthand how the project will play out if the White House gets its way.

The federal government has started surveying land along the border in Texas and announced plans to start construction next month. Rather than surrender their land, some property owners are digging in, vowing to reject buyout offers and preparing to fight the administration in court.
==============================================
Hard working land owners & ranchers like this guy will make sure this wall goes no where.

Tens of millions of Americans want border security and a handful of opponents will not prevail against common sense. When the government builds interstate roads the landowners who don't want to sell their impacted property always end up selling. I think it is called Eminent Domain.

They might not. But the optics are going to be devastating to Republicans.

Trump taking away land which has been in farmers' families for generations ... that's going to blast across the local news and Democrats will be welcoming Texas back to the party.

P.s., on the other hand they might be able to stop it ... this could easily be tied up in courts long enough for Democrats to get back into the White House to put an end to it.

Oh, I'm sure the Trump haters will sound off quite loudly with lots and lots of hyperbole and outrage. The problem, though, is the American people have been inundated with so much of that hyperbole and outrage that it doesn't have the same effect anymore.

But you could be correct about the courts and Dems back in the White House thing. I can easily visualize a Dem Presidential candidate telling the American people that he really, really cares about border security...that he wishes these court cases would get resolved...the people could elect him...and then, he'll quietly settle the court cases and put the idea of a wall on a shelf in some back room in the White House. (You never know when he might have to send someone to that back room, retrieve that idea, dust it off...and trot it over to the Oval Office for the Dem President to use.)

On the other hand, there are a number of intelligent people who realize that the concept of eminent domain is quite sound and necessary and won't be swayed by all the "optics" and won't be tricked into voting for a duplicitous Dem Presidential candidate. Unfortunately, such people seem to be in the minority nowadays.

I may be wrong, thought I heard recently that airplanes ferry more dope than border crossings. Watched a special last week about the cartels, their wars, etc. At one time Mexico's economy was based more on drugs by 6 or 7 times the their oil exports.

Well according to Trump's own Homeland Security agency it's over the road entry through regulated border crossing sites.

But back to your statement- are locals being ambushed by illegals? Who are the Border Agents rounding up crossing private land? Gun toting families?

I know many are ready to say/believe anything to try and build a wall... but facts are facts... let's see some... :peace

Progressive, to me, means more government involvement in our lives. Trump's protectionism is a good example of a progressive policy. Seizure of land from private land owners through eminent domain is another progressive policy.

Eminent domain is even written into the Constitution. Guess all the Founders were progressives. NOT! Many libertarians are pot smoking anarchists. The mere existence of govt is wrong to them. Did you know that the same thing happen under Obama, they had thousand of law suits from the same landowners. Yeah, they were going to build a wall, except you didn't see Pelosi have a meltdown because the President had a (D) behind his name.

Maybe the whiners in Texas are actually carpetbaggers from up north.

But I bet you were all OVER supporting the Bundy's in the standoff, no? You can just admit it if so, cuz I'm tired of Trump's base's "flexible reality".:roll:

Eminent Domain.

Eminent Domain.

I think we all know that is what we are talking about.:roll:

You just cannot say the word and make it applicable.

I am curious if the wall-less landowners owners that are contesting have had any problems.

HIDALGO, Texas (AP) — As President Donald Trump travels to the border in Texas to make the case for his $5.7 billion wall, landowner Eloisa Cavazos says she knows firsthand how the project will play out if the White House gets its way.

The federal government has started surveying land along the border in Texas and announced plans to start construction next month. Rather than surrender their land, some property owners are digging in, vowing to reject buyout offers and preparing to fight the administration in court.
Hard working land owners & ranchers like this guy will make sure this wall goes no where.

:shrug: There are always those that don't want their land taken by the government. And if they're pro-illegal immigration well...that's just a plus huh?

But I bet you were all OVER supporting the Bundy's in the standoff, no? You can just admit it if so, cuz I'm tired of Trump's base's "flexible reality".:roll:

Don't be a hypocrite and leave out the part where Democrats are politically expedient. Let's see Schumer's and Clinton's speeches on the border. ;)

Don't be a hypocrite and leave out the part where Democrats are politically expedient. Let's see Schumer's and Clinton's speeches on the border. ;)

Can't bear scrutiny there, can you? That's what I thought, typical. :roll::lamo

When illegals who are also criminals shoot at the locals, odds are that the locals would appreciate better security.

Is it a daily event, illegals shooting at locals? I mean, it is a crisis after all, so obviously this must be happening all the time.

What percentage of Texas landowners do you think are going to be happy selling their property to the government for Trump's wall?

Shouldn't take too long to perform a real survey to find out.

Who? The murderer?

Are you that uneducated and uninformed? Unsurprising.

Bundy Standoff.

The 2014 Bundy standoff was an armed confrontation between supporters of cattle rancher Cliven Bundy and law enforcement following a 21-year legal dispute in which the United States Bureau of Land Management (BLM) obtained court orders directing Bundy to pay over $1 million in withheld grazing fees for Bundy's use of federally-owned land adjacent to Bundy's ranch in southeastern Nevada.

The ongoing dispute started in 1993, when, in protest against changes in grazing rules, Bundy declined to renew his permit for cattle grazing on BLM-administered public lands near Bunkerville, Nevada.[2] According to Bundy, the federal government lacks the constitutional authority to own vast tracts of lands, an argument repeatedly rejected by federal courts. According to the BLM, Bundy continued to graze his cattle on public lands without a permit. In 1998, Bundy was prohibited by the United States District Court for the District of Nevada from grazing his cattle on an area of land later called the Bunkerville Allotment. In July 2013, federal judge Lloyd D. George ordered Bundy to refrain from trespassing on federally administered land in the Gold Butte area of Clark County.

On March 27, 2014, 145,604 acres of federal land in Clark County were temporarily closed for the "capture, impound, and removal of trespass cattle." BLM officials and law enforcement rangers began a roundup of such livestock on April 5, and Cliven Bundy's son, Dave, was arrested.[3] On April 12, 2014, a group of protesters, some of them armed, approached the BLM "cattle gather". Sheriff Doug Gillespie negotiated with Bundy and newly-confirmed BLM director Neil Kornze, who elected to release the cattle and de-escalate the situation. As of the end of 2015, Cliven Bundy continued to graze his cattle on federal land and still had not paid the grazing fees.

On February 10, 2016, Cliven Bundy traveled to Portland, Oregon, in response to federal law enforcement moving to end a standoff led by his sons Ammon and Ryan at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. He was arrested at the airport by the FBI and was incarcerated at the Multnomah County Jail. He was indicted for 16 federal felonies on February 17, along with Ammon and Ryan Bundy, militia leader Ryan Payne, and broadcaster Peter Santilli, who were already under arrest for their role in the Malheur standoff. Another 14 individuals were charged on March 3, 2016. Santilli subsequently pled guilty to felony conspiracy to injure or impede a federal officer.[4]

On January 8, 2018, U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro in Las Vegas dismissed with prejudice the criminal charges against Cliven Bundy, his sons Ammon and Ryan, and co-defendant Ryan Payne regarding the standoff.[5][6]

Cliven and Ammon Bundy, and their supporters, have claimed that the federal government lacks the authority to manage public lands. These arguments have been repeatedly rejected by legal scholars and federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court; the property clause of the United States Constitution grants plenary authority to Congress to manage federal property, including land.[7][8]

Yes. And I remember a time when real Republicans objected to it.

That was back before the fake Republicans took over the party.

I object to using Eminent Domain so the government can resell the property for other private uses. I'm pretty sure most Republicans feel the same way.

I wondered why McAllen,Texas has been chosen as the city for Trump to visit. I also wondered if Trump dares to visit the child detention center in McAllen? Okay that was a joke of course. Trump has no desire to visit any part of the border in Texas or any other state. He's only going because his advisers told him he should. There will be some great optics since they've already hand-picked some people along that border town to interview. Those people will no doubt state they want the border wall. It's just a photo opportunity. Washington, D.C. has a three times higher crime rate than McAllen.

A rancher from McAllen was interviewed on CNN this morning and he was very much in favor of a wall on his property. The video interviews several others in McAllen who don't feel a wall will be effective at all. But look at that little church the priest was interviewed in. Obviously it's badly in need of repair and rehabilitation. How much money would it take to change his mind about a wall? Probably not very much. When it comes right down to it, these people will drop their objections once money is used to convince them to give up their land to the government. They're not going to seek out a fancy high-priced lawyer to fight for them legally, they're going to give up. The reporter in the interview said; "Many in the valley say the price of this physical and visual immigration deterrent isn't worth the cost of heritage if the federal government takes private property by imminent domain." Every man has his price as we've learned over the past two years and 'heritage' will become less of a factor once the money starts coming out.

We're all going to be bombarded with propaganda arguments in favor of, or against the wall. The thing is that it doesn't matter what those people want or don't, it's all about what Trump is determined to do to keep his base strongly defending him. The government is already out there doing their surveys for the wall, that's how confident Trump is that he'll get it come Hell or high water.

I hope you don't mind that I'm providing the link directly to the video, some people are just too lazy to click two times.

Last edited:
So when did the event happen this week, since we hear about thousands of these illegals jumping in here every day?

Doesn't matter when it happened. One bad thing requires government intervention. Right? /s

The ranchers need to make that old Cowboy song, "Don't Fence Me In," their theme song and start a big MSM counter blitz.
/

Are you that uneducated and uninformed? Unsurprising.

Bundy Standoff.

Never heard of it. I was on deployment that year, so probably why I never got to it.

No, I don't think people should be fighting the federal government. At least not indiscriminately like this.

Back
Top Bottom